Current Affairs October 2013 - October Current Affairs
Current Affairs October 2013 – Current Affairs for the month of October 2013: Are you searching for GK Questions for October 2013? Here we have come up with Current Affairs October 2013. Here in the article below we have provide all current events, incidents happened in the month of October 2013. We have also brought you all the Question Answers of General Awareness. Check out the monthly current Affairs from 1 October to 31st October 2013.
Current Affairs October 2013
- National Voluntary Blood Donation Day was observed.
- S. Varadarajan appointed the new Chairman & Managing Director of Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited (BPCL).
- Securities Exchange Board of India (SEBI) approved Jet-Etihad deal.
- U.S. master writer and master of spy thriller novels Tom Clancy dies at 66.
- The CBI court in Ranchi sent former Bihar chief minister Lalu Prasad to five years in jail with a fine of Rs.25 lakh in the case of illegal withdrawal of public money from Chaibasa treasury.
- Union Tourism Minister K Chiranjeevi resigned from his post in protest against the Union Cabinet's approval of the separation of Telangana.
- The union cabinet formally decided to bifurcate Andhra Pradesh to carve out Telangana as India's 29th state.
- Hyderabad will be shared for 10 years as the capital of the old and new state.
- Indian Election Commission announced election dates for five states - Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Rajasthan, Mizoram and Delhi which will be held from 11th November to 4th December and the counting will be on 8th December.
- Afghanistan qualified for its maiden ICC World Cup after defeating Kenya by seven wickets to finish second in the World Cricket League Championship in Sharjah.
- The Union government launched the Inter Company LPG portability scheme in 24 cities across the country through which consumer can switch their LPG distributors through a portability system and also buy 5kg cylinders of liquefied petroleum gas at select petrol stations.
- The Prime Ministers of Bangladesh and India inaugurated a joint power transmission plant through which Bangladesh will receive up to 500 megawatts (MW) of electricity.
- Sania Mirza and Cara Black won the Women’s Doubles in China Open tennis championship trophy.
- Mumbai Indians wins the Champions League Twenty20 for the second time after beating Rajasthan Royals by 33 runs in the final at the Ferozeshah Kotla.
- Sachin Tendulkar and Rahul Dravid played their last Twenty20 match as Champions League Twenty20.
- Government hike railway fares by two per cent for all classes because of a rise in the prices of diesel and power.
- India test-fired its indigenously developed nuclear-capable Prithvi-II missile with a strike range of 350 km from Balasore, Odisha.
- Arundhati Bhattacharya appointed SBI's first woman chairperson.
- Randy Schekman (USA), James Rothman (USA) and Thomas Sudhof (Germany) wins Nobel Prize for Medicine for cell transport.
- The Union Cabinet of India approved the National Identification Authority of India Bill that will give statutory status to the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI).
- Peter Higgs (United Kingdom) and Francois Englert (Belgium) jointly awarded Nobel Prize for Physics.
- Supreme Court lifted the restraints it put on N Srinivasan from assuming charge as the elected chief of the Indian cricket board (BCCI).
- Martin Karplus ( Harvard University), Michael Levitt (Stanford School of Medicine) and Arieh Warshel (University of Southern California) jointly got Nobel prize in the field of Chemistry.
- Former Pakistan President Pervez Musharraf granted bail and free to leave Pakistan after a decision by a court in Islamabad.
- High alert has been declared as the cyclonic storm "Phailin" is expected to hit.
- Sachin Tendulkar announces retirement from Test cricket after playing 200 which will be held in Mumbai from November 14.
- Canada's Alice, 82 Munro won the Nobel Literature Prize.
- Malala Yousafzai, 16-year-old education activist from Pakistan wins European Union's Sakharov human rights award.
- Hague-based Organisation OPCW awarded the 2013 Nobel Peace Prize.
- Agricultural scientist MS Swaminathan selected for the Indira Gandhi Award for National Integration for the year 2012.
- Cyclone Phailin has made landfall in Odisha. Over five lakh people have been evacuated in Odisha and Andhra Pradesh.
- Over 70 people died and over 100 injured in a stampede at Ratangarh temple in Madhya Pradesh's Datia district.
- Red Bull driver Sebastian Vettel won the Japanese Grand Prix.
- Vijayadashami or Dussehra celebrated across India.
- Eugene Fama, Lars Peter Hansen and Robert Shiller of America won the Nobel prize for economics.
- Kumar Mangalam Birla, head of the Aditya Birla Group has been charged with conspiracy and cheating to land two coal blocks in Odisha in 2005.
- World Bank cuts India growth forecast to 4.7 per cent from 6.1 percent for the current fiscal year.
- Indian Railways appointed acting chairman of Railway Board Arunendra Kumar as the head of the board.
- INS Sunayna inducted into Indian Navy’s service which is the largest offshore patrol vessel (OPV).
- Eleanor Catton, author of New Zealand won Man Booker prize for her book "The Luminaries". She also becomes the youngest novelist to win the man booker prize at the age of 28 years. The book has set a new record for the longest winning novel with 852 pages.
- Virat Kohli scores the fastest century by an Indian batsman in ODI with 52 balls against Australia.
- EPL club Liverpool launched a residential football academy in Pune.
- The U.S. Congress approved a deal to end a partial government shutdown.
- Terence Walsh appointed as Chief Coach of the Indian National Hockey Team.
- The Archaeological Survey of India team began digging at Daundia Khera village of Unnao district, UP for the prophesied 1,000 tones of gold as claimed by a local priest Swami Shobhan Sarkar.
- Micromax has appointed Hollywood star Hugh Jackman as its brand ambassador.
- India’s tallest air traffic control (ATC) tower with 84-metre structure inaugurated in Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport, Mumbai.
- The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has banned Kolkata Knight Riders pacer Pradeep Sangwan for 18 months.
- Prime Minister Manmohan Singh arrived in Moscow to strengthen bilateral strategic partnership.
- Lata Mangeshkar presented with the first national Yash Chopra Memorial Award in Mumbai.
- Indian squash player Dipika Pallikal defeated former World number one Rachael Grinham of Australia to clinch the Macau Open title.
- Congress MP Rashid Masood has been disqualified from the Rajya Sabha for convicted in a corruption case.
- India started pumping electricity for the first time from Kudankulam nuclear power plant, Tamil Nadu with an initial output of 160 MW.
- Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) chief Lalu Prasad Yadav and (JDU) MP Jagdish Sharma disqualified from the Lok Sabha as both are convicted in the Bihar fodder scam.
- Former Delhi health minister Harsh Vardhan will be the BJP's Chief Minister candidate for Delhi election.
- India and China signed Border Defence Cooperation Agreement (BDCA) to soothing tension on their contested border.
- The legendary singer Manna Dey died of cardiac arrest at the age of 94 in Bangalore hospital where was treated for respiratory illness.
- India ending an eight year ban on military supplies to Nepal with the supplies of vehicles and arms.
- Astronomers have found the most distant galaxy Hubble Space Telescope and the Keck Observatory in Hawaii.
- BCCI terminated Sahara-owned franchise Pune Warriors from the IPL.
- 5 killed and over 70 injured in seven crude bomb serial explosions ahead of Narendra Modi's Hunkar rally in Patna.
- Sachin Tendulkar played his last Ranji match as Mumbai take on Haryana at Lahli, Haryana.
- Amitabh Bachchan received the 3rd Hridayanath Mangeshkar Award for his contribution to the film industry.
- Germany's Sebastian Vettel became Formula One's youngest four-times world champion on Sunday after winning the Indian Grand Prix for Red Bull.
- The Supreme Court directed the Sahara Group to hand over title deeds of property worth Rs. 20,000 crore to market regulator SEBI within three weeks.
- RBI hikes repo rate by 25 Basis Points to 7.75 % from 7.50%.
- India has developed a new tactical surface-to-surface missile 'Pragati' with a range between 60-170 km.
- Mukesh Ambani becomes India's richest for 6th year in a row in Forbes' list with a net worth of $ 21 billion.
- Union Government appoints Air Marshal Arup Raha as the next Chief of the Air Staff who will replace Air Chief Marshal NAK Browne.
- Infosys has agreed to pay a penalty of $34 million to the United States government for making errors in 1-9 paperwork and other visa related matters.
- Sensex closes at all-time high above 21,000.
- Srishti Rana of India crowned as Miss Asia Pacific World 2013 in Busan, South Korea.
- Gujrat Chief Minister Narendra Modi laid the foundation stone of Statue of Unity, the world largest 82 meters (597 ft) monument of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel.
- Jharkhand high court rejects Lalu Prasad Yadav's bail petition against fodder scam.
Current Affairs October 2013 - October Current Affairs Reviewed by Job today on 12:22 Rating: