Daily GK Update 08 December 2013
- Saarc Charter Day was observed to mark the 18th anniversary of the signing of an agreement that led to establishment of the South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (Saarc)
- US President Obama, first Lady Michelle Obama will attend national memorial service in honour of Nelson Mandela in Johannesburg on Tuesday.
- Ukraine's supporters of Western integration hope to draw a million people to a protest today against the authorities' decision to spurn a historic EU agreement and seek closer ties with old master Russia.
- President Barack Obama has defended the nuclear deal with Iran, saying it was the best option to protect US and Israeli national security and the agreement does not grants Tehran a right to enrich uranium.
- Three Chinese ships entered disputed waters off Tokyo-controlled islands in the East China Sea on Sunday, the Japanese coastguard said, the first such incident since Beijing announced an air defence zone in the area last month.
- Thai Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra has dissolved parliament and called an election after sustained protests in the capital, Bangkok.
- South Korea has declared an expanded air identification zone overlapping one recently announced by China that has sharply increased regional tensions.
- Colombia's FARC rebels declared a 30-day unilateral ceasefire Sunday and urged the government to do the same, in a surprise move after a deadly bombing blamed on the guerrillas.
- The world's chemical watchdog said Sunday that the transportation of Syria's chemical arsenal out of the country could be delayed by a few days due to technical difficulties.
- Arvind Kejriwal defeats three-time Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit in New Delhi constituency.
- Sheila Dikshit resigns as Delhi Chief Minister.
- Vasundhara Raje, who failed five years ago on account of infighting in BJP, reinvented herself and galvanised the cadre to spearhead her party's spectacular comeback to power in Rajasthan.
- The Day for Persons with Disability (National Day for the Mentally Retarded) was observed.
- All India handicrafts week started (this is celebrated every year all over the India by the people from 8th of December to the 14th of December).
- To further ring-fence its jurisdiction from any attempts of round-tripping and money laundering activities, Mauritius has agreed to include a ‘limitation of benefits (LOB)’ clause in its revised tax treaty with India.
- The Haryana Government has decided to provide free travel facility in Haryana Roadways buses to girl students in schools, colleges and institutions.
- Capital market regulator Sebi has ordered 33 entities to appear before it with regard to probes into various irregularities, after they were found untraceable and show-cause notices issued to them returned undelivered.
- South Africa clinched the three-match ODI series against India by taking an unassailable 2-0 lead after registering a 134-run win in the second one-dayer in Durban on Sunday.
Daily GK Update 08 December 2013 Reviewed by Job today on 12:06 Rating: