Daily GK Update 11 December 2013
- In a blow to gay rights activists, the Supreme Court today upheld the constitutional validity of the penal provision making gay sex an offence punishable with upto life imprisonment.
- Former world heavyweight champion and convicted rapist Mike Tyson has been banned from entering Britain and forced to cancel appearances to promote his new autobiography, his publishers said on Tuesday.
- Justice D.P Buch, a retired judge of the Gujarat High Court, was administered the oath of Lokayukta by Governor Kamla Beniwal at Raj Bhavan in the presence of Chief Minister Narendra Modi and Assembly Speaker Vajubhai Vala.
- Wipro Chairman Azim Premji, 68, won the Economic Times Lifetime Achievement Award 2013 for his role in creating India's third-largest software exporter and also for the impressive scale of his philanthropy.
- General Motors named Mary Barra as its new chief executive on Tuesday, making her the first woman to lead a major car manufacturing company in the United States.
- Uruguay on 10 December 2013 became the first country in the world to legalise marijuana for recreational use with the state taking control of the trade. In this regard Uruguay senators gave the approval for government-sponsored bill.
- The third one day cricket between India and South Africa begins at Super Sport Park in Centurion. The hosts won the toss and elected to bat in the inconsequential match as they have already won the three match series 2-0.
- The last King of the erstwhile Mysore royal family, Srikantadatta Narasimharaja Wodeyar passed away in Bangalore on 10 December 2013 due to heart attack.
Daily GK Update 11 December 2013 Reviewed by Job today on 11:43 Rating: