Daily GK Update - 19 December 2013
- United Nations has lowered India’s economic growth forecast for 2013 to 4.8 per cent while warning that emerging markets should be prepared to deal with the impact of US Federal Reserve’s quantitative easing programme.
- Pakistan on Thursday appointed career diplomat Abdul Basit as its new High Commissioner to India.
- Alstom on 18 December 2013 bagged a contract of 125 million euro (over 1000 crore rupees) from the Bharat Heavy Electricals Ltd. (BHEL).The contract is to supply components and services for the 1000 MW Neyveli New Thermal Power Project (NNTPP) of Neyveli Lignite Corporation located in Tamil Nadu.
- India’s deputy consul in New York, Devyani Khobragade was transferred to India’s Permanent Mission in United Nations in New York on 18 December 2013.
- Former India captain Kapil Dev will be the recipient of the Col. C.K. Nayudu Lifetime Achievement Award for 2013, BCCI secretary Sanjay Patel said in a press release, here on Wednesday.
- Kuwait will host the Second edition of the Syria Donor’s conference in the capital Kuwait city next month.
- Europe is about to launch the Gaia satellite, one of the most ambitious space missions in history.
- Swedish manufacturer Saab has won a 4.5 billion dollar contract to supply 36 fighter jets to Brazil.
- Saina Nehwal’s poor form this season has also started showing in her rankings as the Olympic bronze medallist dropped two places to No. 8 in the women’s singles rankings released by the Badminton World Federation (BWF) Thursday.
- World and European champions Spain top the final FIFA world rankings of the year for the sixth time in a row.
- India won the boy’s and girl’s team titles in the Asia-Pacific junior golf championship at the Royal Calcutta Golf Club (RCGC). It was India’s first ever victory in the Asia Pacific Junior Golf Championship.
- India collapse to 280 all out. Virat Kohli top scorer with 119.
Daily GK Update - 19 December 2013 Reviewed by Job today on 12:16 Rating: