- Delhi votes today, triangular contest with AAP's debut. 65 % polling recorded even as long queues of people were seen at booths past the voting deadline of 5 PM.
- No scope of Pakistan winning war in my lifetime, says Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
- Group of ministers clears proposal for biggerTelangana
- Salman Khan, Katrina Kaif among the most searched personalities of 2013 says Microsoft's search engine, Bing.
- Birth anniversary of former Pime Minister of India IKGujral and former President of India RVenkataraman being observed today.
- In a development that has increased the risk of collapse of Bali talks, India on Wednesday in a strongly-worded message to the WTO members said the food security issue is “non-negotiable” for New Delhi.
- The Election Commission has directed for re-polling at three polling booths in Madhya Pradesh (MP). The re-poll was ordered following complaints of malfunctioning of electronic voting machines (EVMs) in the three polling booths in Bhopal and Dhar districts, sources in the state election office said on Wednesday.
- Election Commission announced to hold repoll in seven booths of Rajasthan on December 6 after some complaints were received on election day.
- Stringent Karnataka Essential Services Maintenance Bill (ESMA) 2013 passed in Karnataka Assembly.
- Oil ministers from the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries have gathered in Vienna for a conference set against the backdrop of regional rivalry between Iran and Saudi Arabia
- Kashmir is a flashpoint that can trigger a fourth war between Pakistan and India anytime, Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif has said, seeking an early settlement of the issue.
- The legendary American singer Bob Dylan is being asked to apologise for remarks he made in an interview that have ran afoul of French anti-racism laws.
- US issues a travel alert to its citizens travelling to or living in Bangladesh in view of protests in country ahead of general elections.
- Obama Administration’s Assistant Secretary of State for South and Central Asia has said that both India and Pakistan want a stable and secure Afghanistan and praised New Delhi’s role in development of the war-torn country.
- US will provide a USD 525,000 for the construction of a new hospital in the former LTTE territory in Sri Lanka's north.
- K M Govi (85), bibliographer & former Editor of the National Library in Kolkata, died at his residence at Thalassery near Kannur.
- In an encouraging sign of life beyond earth, NASA scientists have found faint signatures of water in atmospheres of five distant planets.
- A satellite which will provide TV services to countries such as India & China has been successfully launched by private US company SpaceX
- Rajasthan Chief Minister AshokGehlot was elected unopposed recently president of the Scout and Guide Organisation for a 3-year term.
- Bharti Airtel today mopped up euro 50 million from an international bond sale as it readies for the spectrum auction next month.
- Assocham suggested formation of a committee headed by UP CM Akhilesh Yadav to draft an effective policy to accelerate growth.
- EuropeanCommission has fined a group of banks USD 2.3 billion for colluding to profit from derivatives linked to rigged interest rates.
- Keen to sell more crude oil to India, Iran's Industry Min Mohammad Reza Nematzadeh sought resolution of payment issues to promote trade.
- Ross Taylor smashed a maiden double century against the West Indies on Wednesday as New Zealand racked up an imposing 609-9 declared, taking a vice-like grip on the first Test in Dunedin.
- Indian women cueists Chitra M, Neena Praveen and Varshaa Sanjeev win in IBSF World Snooker.
5 December 2013
Daily GK Updated 04 December 2013