General Knowledge Indian Culture Questions and Answers
General Knowledge Indian Culture Questions and Answers - 6
- The first Guru of the sikhs was
Ans: Guru Nanak Dev
- The tenth Guru of the sikhs was
Ans: Guru Gobind Singh
- Amritsar was founded by
Ans: Guru Ram Das
- The Golden Temple was built by
Ans: Guru Arjan Dev
- The Akal Takht was built by
Ans: Guru Hargobind
- Guru Gobind Singh was born in
Ans: 1666 AD
- The `Khalsa' at Anandpur Sahib was founded by
Ans: Guru Gobind Singh
- Maharaja Ranjit Singh was born in
Ans: 1780 AD
- Bahadur Shah Zafar died in the year
Ans: 1862 AD
- Shivaji died at age of
Ans: 50 Years
- In tne year 1798,who was appointed as the Governor-General
- Wellesley started the policy of
Ans: Subsidiary Alliance
- Dalhousie became the Governor-General in
Ans: 1848 AD
- The first war of Indian Independence fought in 1857 is also known as
Ans: The Sepoy Mutiny
- The Lady ruler who participated in the 1857 Revolt was
Ans: Rani Laxmi Bai of Jhansi
- The Indian Association was formed in 1876 at
- The Indian National Congress was formed in
Ans: 1885 AD
- The Rowlatt Act was passed in the year
Ans: 1919 AD
- The Jalianwala Bagh Massacre took place in the year
Ans: 1919 AD
- The movement launched in 1920 is known as
Ans: The Non-Co-operation Movement
- The Simon Commission came to India in the year
Ans: 1928 AD
- Chandragupta Maurya was succeeded by
- Ashoka invaded Kalinga in the year
Ans: 261 BC
- Ashoka died in the year
Ans: 232 BC
- Ashoka ruled for a period of
Ans: 40 Years
- The last king of Maurya dynasty was
- Chandragupta was succeeded by
- The Iron Pillar near Qutb Minar was erected by
Ans: Chandragupta II
- Fahien, a Chinese traveller visited india during the reign of
Ans: Chandragupta II
- Harshavardhana ascended the throne at the age of
Ans: 16 Years
- Harshavardhana was defeated by
Ans: Pulakeshin II
- The Chinese traveller who visited India during the reign of Harshavardhana was
Ans: Hieun Tsang
- Akbar was succeeded by
- Jehangir was succeeded by
- In ancient times this river was called Shatadru. How do we know it now?
- Who sent Megasthenes as his ambassador to the Mauryan Court?
Ans: Seleucus Nikator
- Who was the last Maurya King?
- Who constructed Angkor Vat?
Ans: Suryavarman II.
- To whom is Angkor Vat dedicated?
- Who wrote Uttara-Rama-Charitam?
- To which dynasty did Gautamiputra Shatakarni belong?
- Who wrote the Buddha Charita?
- To which dynasty did Kanishka belong?
Ans: The Kushana dynasty
- Name the trading station of the Indus Valley Civilisation.
- Which is the crime that is most often mentioned in the Rjgveda?
- Which great Chola Emperor started the tradition of installing epigraphs with historical introductions?
Ans: Rajaraja Chola
- How do we better know "Sakyamuni" (Shakyamuni)?
- Which Gupta ruler is also known as 'Kavi Raja'?
- What was the name of Harsha's sister?
- What was Sumatra called as, in ancient times?
- What were the Jains originally called?
- Which city in ancient India was famous for its textile industry?
- What script did Ashoka use in the inscriptions of the Northwest of India?
Ans: Kharoshti script
- In which script were a majority of the Ashoka inscriptions written?
- Who wrote the Arthashastra?
- Who is the author of the Greek work "Indika"?
- When did the Vikram Samvat begin in India?
Ans: It began in 57 B.C.
- When did the Shaka era begin in India?
Ans: 78 A.D.
- Who started the Shaka era?
Ans: Kanishka of the Kushana dynasty
- What religion did Kharavela patronise?
- Karikala Chola founded a famous city. What was it?
- How many books or Mandalas does the Rig Veda contain?
- To which Age does the Indus Valley Civilisation belong?
Ans: The Bronze Age
- Who introduced chariots drawn by horses into India?
Ans: The Aryans
- Who wrote Kadambari?
- At what age did Mahavira abandon the world and become an ascetic?
Ans: At the age of 30 yrs.
- Where and when did Mahavira pass away?
Ans: In 468 B.C at Pavapuri, in modern Bihar.
- Where was Buddha born?
Ans: Buddha was born in the royal grove in Lumbini near Kapilavastu.
- Where did Buddha deliver his first sermon?
Ans: At Sarnath
- Where was Pataliputra situated?
Ans: It was situated at the confluence of the Gandak, the Son, and the Ganga. It is present-day Patna.
- hat was the Buddhist temple known as?
- What was a Buddhist monastery known as?
- Which empire rose on the remains of the Kushan Empire?
Ans: The Gupta Empire
- What was the image on the royal seal of the Guptas?
- Who is regarded as the first important King of the Gupta dynasty?
Ans: Chandragupta I
- Which Gupta ruler adopted the title 'Vikramaditya'?
Ans: Chandragupta II. He is regarded as the greatest of the Gupta rulers (376 to 414 AD)
- Who was the author of the play 'Mrichchhakatikam'?
- Which empire rose on the ruins of the empire of the Pallavas of Kanchi?
Ans: The Chola Empire
- Which city did Harsha make his capital?
- Who was the Chinese pilgrim who visited India during the time of Harsha?
Ans: Hiuen Tsang
- What religion did Harsha follow during his early years?
Ans: He was a devotee of Shiva
- Which religious sect did Harsha patronise in his later years?
Ans: The Buddhist
- Who was reputed to be the author of the following books: Priyadarshika, Ratnavali and Nagananda?
- Who deciphered the Asokan inscriptions?
Ans: James Prinsep
- What was the name the Greeks used to refer to Ambhi?
- By which name do we know the ancient city of Prayag?
- What is the modern name for the ancient city of Purushapura?
- From which language is the word 'Sindoora' (vermilion) derived?
- Who was Buddha's personal physician?
- What was the name of the famous tract of land that lay between the Saraswati and the Drishadvati?
- Who succeeded Chandra Gupta I?
- Who succeeded Chandra Gupta II?
Ans: His son Kumara Gupta, who ruled from AD 415 to 455
- Which Gupta ruler performed the Ashwamedha yajna?
Ans: Samudra Gupta
- Where in Maharashtra are frescoes that depict the Jataka Stories?
Ans: At Ajanta, near Ellora caves
- What was the language used by the people of the Indus Valley Civilization
Ans: Historians have as yet not been able to determine the language used by the people of the Indus Valley Civilization. The script used by the people of the Indus Valley Civilization has also not been deciphered
- Which was the animal that was most engraved on Indus Valley Civilization seals
Ans: The Humpless Bull
- Who was the Chola ruler who crossed the Ganga and defeated the rulers there?
Ans: Rajendra Chola.
- When did the first invasion of Mahmud of Ghazni take place?
Ans: 1000 A.D.
- Who was the first Indian ruler defeated by Mahmud of Ghazni?
Ans: Jayapala of the Hindushahi dynasty
- Where is Ghazni?
Ans: In modem Afghanistan
- To which deity was the temple of Somnath dedicated?
- ho wrote the Ramayana in Tamil?
- Who was the only woman to ascend the throne of Delhi?
Ans: Razia Sultana
- Who founded the city of Hyderabad?
Ans: Mohammad Quli Qutub Shah
- Where is the famous Kamakhya temple (Kamakshi)?
Ans: At Guwahati
- Who took care of Shah Jahan when he was kept imprisoned by Aurangzeb?
Ans: Jahanara, Shah Jahan's daughter.
- During the reign of which Mughal Emperor was the peacock throne made?
Ans: Shah Jahan
- Where did the English set up their first factory?
- Who was the first Afghan to be seated on the throne of Delhi?
Ans: Buhlul Khan Lodi (in April 1451)
- Who fought the second battle of Panipat?
Ans: Akbar and Himu
General Knowledge Indian Culture Questions and Answers Reviewed by Job today on 15:39 Rating: