DAILY GK UPDATE - 18th July 2014 for Competitive Exams
- Om Prakash Kohli on 16 July 2014 took oath of office as Governor of Gujarat. He succeeded Kamla Beniwal who was transferred to Mizoram by the President of India.
- Prime Minister of India Narendra Modi visited Brazil to attend the 6th BRICS Summit in Fortaleza, Brazil form 15 July to 16 July 2014. BRICS group includes Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa.
- Delhi Electricity Regulatory Commission (DERC) on 17 July 2014 approved the power tariff hike in the national capital. The revision of the tariff came into effect from the date of announcement.
- 6th BRICS Summit was held in Fortaleza, Brazil on 15 July and 16 July 2014. The theme of the Summit was Inclusive Growth: Sustainable Solutions.
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) on 17 July 2014 issued draft guidelines for licensing of payments banks and small banks. Both these banks will be created with a common objective of furthering financial inclusion by adding value through adapting technological solutions to lowers costs.
- 7th India-Brazil-South Africa (IBSA) summit will be held in New Delhi, India in 2015. This was announced after Prime Minister Narendra Modi met South African President Jacob Juma on the sidelines of 6th BRICS Summit in Fortaleza, Brazil on 16 July 2014.
- The five-judge Constitutional bench of Supreme Court on 15 July 2014 issued notice to the State governments and Union Territories (UTs) to submit their responses over legalizing passive euthanasia.
- All 298 people on board a Malaysia Airlines plane were killed on Thursday after the jet was shot down by "terrorists" over war-torn eastern Ukraine near the Russian border, nearly four months after the mysterious disappearance of MH370 in the Indian Ocean.
- State Bank of India (SBI) said it has appointed B Sriram and V G Kannan as Managing Directors and Group executives. Both come to SBI from group associates, where they held senior positions.
- The Supreme Court on Friday relieved legendary cricketer Sunil Gavaskar as the interim president of the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) in charge of Indian Premier League (IPL) 2014 and said that he was free to take up any assignment.
- In a surprise move, Google’s Chief Business Officer India-born Nikesh Arora, regarded as among the top lieutenants at the Internet search giant, is leaving the company after almost 10 years. Mr. Arora is moving to Japan’s SoftBank Corp as vice chairman, according to a post by Google CEO Larry Page on his social network site.
- Google reported a 22 per cent rise in second quarter revenues on Thursday, with sales reaching $16 billion.
- Ajinkya Rahane led India's fight back with a superb hundred after they collapsed on the first day of the second Test against England at Lord's on Thursday.India, after losing the toss on a seaming pitch, were in dire straits at 145 for seven. But thanks to Rahane's 103 his second century in just his seventh Test and his eighth-wicket stand of 90 with Bhuvneshwar Kumar, India reached stumps on 290 for nine.
DAILY GK UPDATE - 18th July 2014 for Competitive Exams Reviewed by Job today on 20:59 Rating: