- India on Monday successfully launched five foreign satellites from four countries on board PSLV-C23 rocket which placed them in orbit, an achievement described by Prime Minister Narendra Modi as an 'endorsement' of the country's space capabilities.After a perfect lift off from the First Launch Pad in Satish Dhawan Space Centre in Sriharikota at 9.52am witnessed by Modi, Indian Space Research Organisation's workhorse Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle PSLV-C23 placed all five satellites into their intended orbits, one after the other between 17 and 19 minutes after liftoff, in textbook precision.
- Young education advocate Malala Yousafzai, who survived an assassination attempt in Mingora, Swat, some two years ago, has won the 2014 Liberty Medal from the National Constitution Center in Philadelphia. “It’s an honour to be awarded the Liberty Medal,” Malala said. “I accept this award on behalf of all the children around the world who are struggling to get an education.”
- MK Narayanan has reportedly resigned as the Governor of West Bengal on Monday after completing more than four years of his five-year term.The reported resignation comes days after Narayanan was questioned by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) for two hours at his official residence in Kolkata in connection with the sale of 12 VVIP choppers to India by AgustaWestland, an Anglo-Italian defence manufacturer.
- Indian cueist Pankaj Advani won his maiden IBSF 6-Red World snooker title at Sharm el-Sheikh in Egypt today.
- Ace Indian shuttler Saina Nehwal has won her second title of the year after beating Carolina Marin of Spain 21-18, 21-11 in the Australian Open Super Series final in Sydney.
Daily GK Update 30 June 2014