- Michelle Janine Howard on Tuesday became the first woman to rise to the rank of four-star admiral in the Navy’s 238 year history. She received her fourth star at a ceremony held at the Women in Military Service for America Memorial at Arlington National Cemetery. The Navy lagged other services in promoting a woman to four-star rank. Both the Army and Air Force had previously done so.
- Hockey India (HI) selected a 16-member side, led by Sardar Singh, for the 2014 Commonwealth Games that would be held in Glasgow, July 23-Aug 3.
- With the government using social media like never before, Prime Minister Narendra Modi today told Facebook Chief Operating Officer Sheryl Sandberg that direct communication with people is critical for governance. The Prime Minister said on his Facebook page that he had a very fruitful meeting with Sandberg, who called on Modi to discuss her ideas about connectivity.
- Asian Development Bank has made financial commitment of USD 350 million in loan and equity investment for two energy projects in India.
- An Indian passenger train set a new national speed record of 160 kilometres an hour (100 miles an hour) on Thursday during a test between the capital and the Taj Mahal city of Agra.
- Even as the uncertainty over chargingusers for ATM transactions continues, nation's largest lender State Bank of India today said it will be launching up to 5,000 new ATMs this fiscal.
Daily GK Update 3rd July 2014