- Bringing an end to the ordeal, 56 Indian nurses have returned to Kochi after being held in captivity by ISIS militants in the war torn Iraq. Kerala Chief Minister Oomen Chandy was present at the airport to receive the Indians returning from Iraq.
- Four Indian-Americans were among 50 people who were honoured for their contributions to the US in the annual great immigrants tribute in New York on the country's Independence day.Microsoft Corp chief executive Satya Nadella, comedian and actor Aasif Mandvi, Carnegie Mellon University president Subra Suresh and former president of the University of West Georgia, Beheruz Sethna were honoured along with 36 others, the Wall Street Journal reported.
- 63-year-old Wanchoo sent his resignation after he received a call from Union Home Secretary Anil Goswami on Friday morning asking him to resign, official sources said.
- The National Bank of Agriculture and Rural Development (Nabard) and the Small Farmers’ Agribusiness Consortium (SFAC) have signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) to jointly implement schemes for the promotion of farm producer organisations (FPOs).
- Germany beat France 1-0, reach fourth successive semifinal
- A sensational David Luiz free kick took Brazil into the World Cup semi-finals with a 2-1 victory over Colombia but the tournament hosts saw star striker Neymar carried off in agony.
- Sixth seeded Czech player Petra Kvitova will clash with Eugenie Bouchard of Canada for the Women's Singles title at Wimbledon today.
6 July 2014
Daily GK Update 5th July 2015