Daily GK Update - 19 November 2014 - Current Affairs
- Three MoUs signed between India and Fiji during visit of PM Modi to Fiji i. India and Fiji signed three Memorandum of Understandings (MoUs) on 19 November 2014 to strengthen bilateral relations. The agreements were signed during the visit of Prime Minister of Narendra Modi to Fiji.
- ISRO chosen for Indira Gandhi prize for peace, disarmament i. Indian space agency ISRO will be conferred the Indira Gandhi Prize for Peace, Disarmament and Development for 2014 in recognition of its contribution in strengthening international cooperation in peaceful use of outer space.
- Axis Bank to increase unsecured retail portfolio i. Leading private bank Axis Bank would gradually increase the proportion of unsecured retail portfolio by increasing the credit cards business, an official said.
- Oxford Dictionary named Vape as Word of the Year 2014 i. The Oxford Dictionary named Vape as Word of the Year 2014. The decision was announced in November 2014.
- 25th ASEAN Summit held in Nay Pyi Taw, Myanmar i. 25th Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) Summit was held in Nay Pyi Taw, Myanmar from 12 November 2014 to 13 November 2014. Summit was held under the theme of Moving forward in Unity to a Peaceful and Prosperous Community.
- Raina does a Dhoni, becomes co-owner of UP Wizards i. Indian batsman Suresh Raina on Monday joined the Hockey India League (HIL) franchise team, Uttar Pradesh Wizards, as its co-owner.
- President Pranab Mukherjee inaugurated IITF 2014 in New Delhi i. President Pranab Mukherjee on 14 November 2014 inaugurated India International Trade Fair (IITF) 2014 at Pragati Maidan in New Delhi.The fair will be held from 14 November 2014 to 27 November 2014. The fair is conducted by India Trade Promotion Organisation (ITPO).
- Legendary Japanese Actor Ken Takakura Died i. Legendary Japanese actor Ken Takakura died on 10 November 2014 of lymphoma at a hospital in Tokyo. He was 83.
- Indian-American Neha Gupta won International Children’s Peace Prize 2014 i. Neha Gupta was awarded with the prestigious International Children’s Peace Prize 2014. Neha, an 18-year-old Indian American from Philadelphia was awarded for her work to help orphans in India and other vulnerable children.
- IREDA and US Exim Bank Signed MoU on cooperation on clean energy investment i. IREDA, a body under the Ministry of New and Renewable Energy, today signed a preliminary agreement with US Exim Bank for a $1 billion loan from the American entity to undertake development activities in the clean energy sector.
- Finnish company Nokia launched Android-based N1 tablet i. Finnish mobile major Nokia on 18 November 2014 launched Android-based N1 tablet at the Slush conference in Helsinki. The device has been developed in partnership with Foxconn, which will also manufacture it.
ii. MoU on Cooperation on exchange of information on structure and content of training programs for diplomats to foster closer exchanges between India and Fiji, as well as the Pacific region.
iii. The signing of three MoUs: Identify opportunities to expand trade and investments and work out a concrete road map;Consult each other more closely on international issues of mutual interest, including international trade, climate change, United Nations Peacekeeping and UN reforms,Providing 5 million US dollar fund to promote small business and village enterprises.
ii. The award jury, chaired by Vice President Hamid Ansari, made the announcement today.
iii. “The Indira Gandhi Prize for Peace, Disarmament and Development is awarded to the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) in recognition of its path-breaking achievement, culminating in the Mars orbiter mission, its significant contribution in strengthening international cooperation in peaceful use of outer space,” a statement said.
ii. “We want to scale up the retail unsecured portfolio in a graded manner over time”, Rajiv Anand, Group Executive and Head (Retail Banking) of Axis Bank said.
iii. Anand said that the bank was quite comfortable with the present underlying portfolio. “With economy showing signs of picking up, we are willing take more risks by increasing the unsecured retail component. “Presently, the proportion of unsecured retail portfolio was 20 per cent”, Anand told reporters here on Wednesday.
ii. The Oxford Dictionary defines Vape as a verb and meaning is to inhale and exhale the vapour produced by an electronic cigarette or similar device. The word Vape is a utilitarian noun brought about by new technology and it added in dictionary in August 2014.
iii. The other words that competed for the prize is Budtender, Bae, Contactless, Indyref, Normcore and Slacktivism.
ii. Myanmar chaired the ASEAN summit for the first time. Myanmar has chosen the Kha Yay or Star Flower as the logo for ASEAN Summit.
iii.The next 26th ASEAN Summit will be held in Cambodia from 26 March 2015 to 28 March 2015.
ii. The announcement of his association was made by Abhijit Sarkar of Uttar Pradesh Wizards in an event held at Sahara Shaher, in Lucknow in the presence of state cricket captain Raina.
iii.Recently, Team India skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni also got associated with the Ranchi franchise team of HIL as its co-owner.
ii. In its 34th edition, the theme of the fair is Women Entrepreneurs. Partner country of the trade fair is South Africa. Focus Country of the fair is Thailand while the focus state is Delhi.
iii.IITF was started in 1980. IITF is the largest integrated trade fair with B2B and B2C components.
ii. Neha through her own organization Empower Orphans has helped 25000 vulnerable children by raising over 1.3 million US dollar. She has also inspired her peers worldwide to contribute to create a better world for children.
ii. "A Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) has been signed between Indian Renewable Energy Development Agency (IREDA) and US Exim Bank with respect to cooperation in clean energy investment," an official statement said.
iii. The MoU was signed by K S Popli, Chairman & Managing Director IREDA, and Fred P Hochberg, Chairman and President, Export-Import Bank of the United States.
ii. This was the first comeback by Nokia after it sold it sold its mobile devices business to Microsoft. The N1 tablet comes one week after the launch of the Lumia 535 by Microsoft without the Nokia brand on it.
iii. The tablet will cost 249 US dollars plus tax and Nokia will start shipping in February 2015 in China. Later it will become available in Europe and other countries.
- The N1 tablet sports 7.9-inch screen with a high resolution of 2048 by 1536 pixels.
- It comes with a 5-megapixel front camera.
- It has a one-piece aluminium body with a design that's reminiscent of Apple's iPad mini
- It is available in two colors: bare aluminum or a deeper gray.
- The Wi-Fi tablet is powered by a 64-bit Intel Atom Z3580 processor.
- It has 32GB of integrated storage and 2GB of RAM.
- It weighs 318 grams and is 6.9 millimeters thick, it's thinner and lighter than the iPad mini 3, which weighs 331 grams and is 7.5 millimeters thick.
ii. Hasmukh Adhia is currently working as Secretary in Department of Financial Services, Union Ministry of Finance.
iii. He is a 1981 batch Gujarat cadre IAS officer. He had worked with the then Gujarat chief minister and present Prime Minister Narendra Modi from May 2004 to May 2006.He also has served as Additional Chief Secretary, finance department in the Gujarat government apart from stints in Gujarat Industrial Investment Corporation (GIIC) and Gujarat Industrial Development Corporation (GIDC).
ii. The book Truth Always Prevails is a self-narrated account of personal and entrepreneurial experiences by one of the most successful businessmen of Pakistan with a global footprint. This is a story of Pakistan and the Pakistani Dream.
iii. It highlights how Hashwani rose to become the cotton king of Pakistan and gives a first-hand account of the economic suffering at the hands of nationalization and the birth of hospitality industry in Pakistan and the challenge of uncertain policies.
General Knowledge Today - GK & Current Affairs, Daily Current Affairs and GK 19 November 2014, Daily GK Updates- 19th Nov 2014,Latest Current Affairs updates 19-11-2014, Daily GK Updates, General Knowledge & Current Affairs for All Competitive Exams, GK , General Knowledge Quiz Questions Test, GK Questions and Answers, Daily Gk Update 19th November 2014. Daily GK Update 19-11-2014. Daily GK Update November 19, 2014. daily gk update 19th november 2014.
Daily GK Update - 19 November 2014 - Current Affairs Reviewed by Job today on 19:24 Rating: