Current Affairs January 2015 Competitive Exams
1. A.K. Mittal was appointed as the Chairman of Railway Board on 31 December 2014. He succeeded Arunendra Kumar who superannuated from Railway Services on 31 December 2014.
2. K Radhakrishnan retired as Chairman of ISRO. Shailesh Nayak will hold additional and interim charge as Chairman until a regular chief is named.
3. M Sathiyavathy appointed as the Director General of Civil Aviation (DGCA). She is the India’s first women to be appointed as DGCA.
4. Beji Caid Essebsi was sworn in as the President of Tunisia and became the first freely elected leader of Tunisia.
5. Union Government launched integrated women safety mobile app called Himmat.
6. Maharashtra launched online portal of Right to Information (RTI) application filing facility.
7. Indian-origin Nilesh Jayantilal Samani awarded knighthood as part of Queen’s New Year Honours.
8. R K Srivastava on 2 January 2015 took over as the new chairman of Airports Authority of India (AAI). He is appointed for the period of five years.
9. American country music singer Little Jimmy Dickens died on 2 January 2015 at Nashville. He was famous for his humorous novelty songs.
10. Senior Scientist and former Chairman of ISRO Vasant Ranchhod Gowarikar died after a brief illness in Pune, India on 2 January 2015. He was 82.
11. Kumar Sangakkara, former Sri Lankan cricket captain, on 3 January 2015 became the fastest cricketer to reach 12000 Test runs. The left-handed batsman reached the milestone in his 224th innings played during the Sri Lanka’s second Test match against New Zealand played in Wellington.
12. Mario Matthew Cuomo was an American politician and member of the Democratic Party. He served as the 52nd Governor of New York for three terms, from 1983 to 1994, Lieutenant Governor of New York from 1979 to 1982, and Secretary of State of New York from 1975 to 1978.
13. O T Anilkumar of Kerala won the 7th Chennai Open FIDE Rating Chess Tournament (Category B) at Nehru Stadium, Chennai on 3 January 2015. He won the title after scoring 8.5 points from nine rounds and pocketed the winner's purse of 30000 rupees.
14. China on 4 January 2015 launched an official military weapons procurement website www.weain.mil.cn to guarantee transparency in arms procurement.
15. Kiran Bhai Vadodaria on 2 January 2015 was elected as President of the Indian Newspaper Society (INS) for 2014-15. He is the Chairman and Managing Director of Gujarati newspaper Sambhaav Metro.
16. AS officer P Krishnamurthy was on 5 January 2015 appointed as Private Secretary of Union Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar. He is appointed for a five-year period or on co-terminus basis with the minister's tenure.
17. S Shrikrishna on 5 January 2015 won his maiden National Sub-Junior Billiards title at the BRC Gloster National Billiards & Snooker Championship 2015. He defeated Ishpreet Singh Chadha of Maharashtra by 326-283 in an hour-long final play.
18. Board of Control for Cricket in India on 6 January 2015 announced the 15-man squad for the Cricket World Cup 2015. Squad: Shikhar Dhawan, Rohit Sharma, Ajinkya Rahane, Virat Kohli, Suresh Raina, Ambati Rayudu, Ravindra Jadeja, Ravichandran Ashwin, Axar Patel, Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Mohit Sharma, Mohammed Shami, Stuart Binny, Umesh Yadav.
19. Larry Page, the chief executive officer and co-founder of Google was named as the Business person of the Year for 2014 on 6 January 2015 by Fortune magazine.
20. Ishpreet Singh Chadha of Maharashtra on 6 January 2015 won his maiden National Sub-Junior Snooker title 2015 at the BRC Gloster National Billiards & Snooker Championship 2015. He defeated Shobhit Sethi of Punjab by 3-0 in a final match.
21. Nilesh Shah on 5 January 2015 resigned as Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer (MD &CEO) of Axis Capital Limited.
22. Amit Shah appointed Raosaheb Patil Danve as the new BJP President of Maharashtra. He succeeds Devendra Fadnavis.
23. India will host the 42nd World Bridge Championships that will be held in Chennai from 26 September 2015 to 10 October 2015.
24. New Zealand by defeating Sri Lanka by 193 runs won the 2-match test series on 7 January 2014. The second test was played at Basin Reserve in Wellington
25. Indian Government on 8 January 2015 decided to provide 69 million rupees to Nepal as assistance to launch the Iodine Deficiency Disorder Control Programme (IDDCP).
26. Kailash Satayarthi dedicated his Nobel Peace Prize to the Nation.
27. Haryana Government appointed Yash Pal Singhal as Haryana DGP.
28. Vice President of India Mohammad Hamid Ansari on 9 January 2015 presented the Pravasi Bharatiya Samman Awards 2015 to sixteen personalities.
29. Senior bureaucrat Sindhushree Khullar was appointed as the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of National Institution for Transforming India (NITI) Aayog with effect from 1 January 2015.
30. Switzerland's Stanislas Wawrinka defeated Slovenian qualifier Aljaz Bedene to win Chennai Open title of tennis for a third time. In the title clash, Wawrinka defeated Bedene 6-4 6-3.
31. India observed National Youth Day on 12 January 2015 to mark 152nd birth anniversary of social reformer, philosopher and thinker Swami Vivekananda.
32. Misbah started his ODI career in 2002. He has played 153 ODIs and scored 4669 runs at an average of 42.83. He has been the captain of Pakistan in 78 games, out of which Pakistan won 41 games.
33. India lost 4-match Border-Gavaskar Test series, 0-2 from Australia. The third and fourth match of the series was drawn.
34. RBI Governor Raghuram Rajan received the Governor of the Year Award for 2015. The award recognises the Governor of a Central Bank who has demonstrated strong leadership during the period under review.
35. Deepak Parekh was on appointed as a Non-Executive Director and Chairman of BAE Systems India (Services) Private Limited with effect from 1 January 2015.
36. Alur Seelin Kiran Kumar was appointed as Chairman of Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO). Kiran Kumar became eighth Chairman of ISRO after succeeding K Radhakrishnan who retired on 31 December 2014.
37. Justice Surendra Kumar Sinha was appointed as the 21st chief justice of Bangladesh.
38. 17-time Grand Slam champion Roger Federer of Switzerland on 11 January 2015 won the Brisbane International Tennis title. He won the Brisbane title for the first time.
39. Modibo Keita was appointed as the Prime Minister of West African nation Mali. His appointment was confirmed by Mali's President Ibrahim Boubacar Keita.
40. The Mars Orbiter Mission (MOM) Team of Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) on 12 January 2015 won the 2015 Space Pioneer Award in the Science and Engineering category.
41. The Seventh Vibrant Gujarat Summit was held from 11 January to 13 January 2015 in Gandhinagar, Gujarat and it was organised by the Government of Gujarat.
42. Madagascar Prime Minister Kolo Roger's resignation was accepted by President Hery Rajaonarimampianina on 13 January 2015.
43. Eminent Sanskrit scholar Prabhu Nath Dwivedi was named as the winner of the Sahitya Akademi Award 2014 for Sanskrit language.
44. Actor Amitabh Bachchan was on 13 January 2015 presented with the Social Media Person of the Year Award 2015 by the Internet and Mobile Association of India (IAMAI).
45. Australian cricketer Brett Lee on 14 January 2015 announced his retirement from all forms of cricket after a 20-year career.
46. A P Singh resigned as member of Union Public Service Commission.
47. Hari Shankar Brahma was appointed as the new Chief Election Commissioner (CEC) of Election Commission. He succeeds V.S. Sampath who demitted the office after attaining the age of 65, the upper age limit under the Constitution for holding the post.
48. Tarun Rai was appointed as CEO of J Walter Thompson South Asia.
49. All India Football Federation (AIFF) appointed Englishman Stephen Constantine was as the head coach of Indian men’s football team. He will also be in charge of India under-23 football team.
50. Ukrainian Grandmaster Andrey Baryshpolets won the 13th Parsvanth International Grandmasters Chess Tournament on 16 January 2015.
51. 2015 Screen Awards were announced in Mumbai. Shahid won the Best Actor (male) trophy for Haider and Priyanka won Best Actor (female) for Mary Kom.
52. South Africa batsman and ODI captain AB de Villiers hit a century off 31 balls to record the fastest ever one-day international ton. He surpassed Corey Anderson’s record of a century off 36 balls scored on 1 January 2014.
53. Eicher Motors appointed Rudratej Singh as President of Royal Enfield
54. Union Government reconstituted Central Board of Film Certification (CBFC) and named Filmmaker Pahlaj Nihalani as its chairman. Nihalani succeeded Leela Samson.
55. National Small Industries Corporation Limited on 19 January 2015 signed a Memorandum of Understanding of Cooperation with the Black Business Council of South Africa.
56. Dubai’s Maze Tower was listed in the Guinness World Record for being the world’s largest vertical maze. The maze tower was built by Al Rostamani Group of Dubai.
57. Former High Court judge Justice R V Easwar was on 22 January 2015 appointed as Interim Chairman of the Delhi and Districts Cricket Association (DDCA).
58. Saudi Arabia King Abdullah bin Abdulaziz passed away on 23 January 2015 following a brief illness.
59. EIB is a long-term lending institution of the European Union. The loan will be utilised for lending to private businesses in India. The agreement was signed on 19 January 2015. The agreement was facilitated by SBI Capital Markets.
60. Paulina Vega of Colombia crowned as Miss Universe 2014. She was crowned by the 2013 pageant winner Venezuelan Gabriela Isler.
61. Famous Greek singer Demis Roussos died on 25 January 2015 in Athens, Greek following a brief illness.
62. Famous Greek singer Demis Roussos died on 25 January 2015 in Athens, Greek following a brief illness.
63. Union Government appointed an IPS officer of 1981 batch from Andhra Pradesh K Durga Prasad as the Special Director General of the CRPF on 27 January 2015.
64. Hockey Olympian Jaswant Singh Rajput who was part of Indian hockey team that won gold medal in 1948 London and 1952 Helsinki Olympics died on 28 January 2015. He was 88.
65. Dr. S Jaishankar appointed as the new Foreign Secretary. He replaced current Foreign Secretary Sujatha Singh whose tenure was curtailed by nearly seven months.
66. Serena Williams on 31 January 2015 won the women’s single title of Australian Open of Tennis. In the summit clash, the world number one American defeated Maria Sharapova, the world number two from Russia 6-3, 7-6(5) in Melbourne, Australia.
67. India on 31 January 2015 successfully test-fired indigenously developed canister-based inter-continental ballistic missile (ICBM) Agni-5 from Wheeler's Island off Odisha coast. Agni-5 is a surface-to-surface nuclear capable missile.
68. International Cricket Council (ICC) on 29 January 2015 lifted the five-year ban imposed on Pakistan’s fast bowler Mohammad Amir. With this, Amir can now play in domestic cricket under the auspices of the Pakistan Cricket Board with immediate effect.
69. Renowned music composer and actor Shekhar Sen was on 29 January 2015 appointed as the Chairman of the Sangeet Natak Akademi (SNA). He was appointed for a term of 5 years with immediate effect.
Current Affairs January 2015 Competitive Exams Reviewed by Job today on 15:44 Rating: