1. AAP Government's First Decisions: Cheaper Power, Free Water, Demolition Ban
i. The Aam Aadmi Party government in Delhi has jump-started its plan to slash electricity bills and provide free water. AAP Government announced a 50 per cent subsidy on power consumption up to 400 units on the existing Delhi Electricity Regulatory Commission (DERC) rates in Delhi.
ii. As per the Cabinet decision, no subsidy would be given to domestic consumers on power consumption above 400 units.
2. Highlights of Uttar Pradesh budget 2015-16
i. Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav presented Rs 3.02 lakh crore annual budget of state on 24 February 2015.
ii. In annual budget state government has given main thrust on agriculture, education, power, health, roads and infrastructure development.
Key facts from budget
- The budget also contains the fiscal deficit of 2.96% of the total GDP of the state. Whereas the state’s debt is expected to be around 27.5% of its GDP.
- Taxes: For 2015-16 no new taxes have been levied in the budget.
- Agriculture: State government has declared year 2015-16 as the Farmers year. In this regard 1000 Agri centrs will be established to promote agriculture as a good mean of livelihood among young farmer entrepreneurs.
- Government Schemes: State government has included new schemes of over Rs 9388 crores in the budget. For farmer’s accident insurance scheme, Rs 600 crores have been allocated.
- For women empowerment, Rs. 100 crore Mahila Samman Kosh has been created. For free laptop for meritorious students scheme, state government has allocated Rs 100 crores.
- Power sector: Rs 25764 crores have been allocated for power up gradation and line maintenance in the state.
- Health: State government of built state of the art cancer Institute in Lucknow with a cost of Rs 854 crores. for In proposed budget Rs 111 crores have been allocated.
- Infrastructure: State government allocated Rs 3000 crores to Lucknow Agra Express way. It will longest elevated expressway in India on completion.
3. Rajendra K Pachauri resigned as Chairperson of Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change
i. Dr Rajendra Kumar Pachauri stepped down as Chairperson of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC). Pachauri in a letter to UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon said that he was unable to provide strong leadership to the organisation.
ii. The organisation will now be led by acting chair Ismail El Gizouli until the election for a new chairperson is conducted. Pachauri had chaired the IPCC since April 2002 and his second term was due to end in October 2015.
iii.. At present, Pachauri is serving as the Director General of The Energy and Resources Institute (TERI) and is also a member of the Prime Minister’s Council on Climate Change.
4. Madhya Pradesh governor Ram Naresh Yadav resigns
ii. This comes immediately after the Centre asked him step down following a registration of a first information report (FIR) against him in a recruitment scam.
iii.. Yadav was named in an FIR registered by a special task force (STF) probing the multi-crore Madhya Pradesh professional examination board (MPPEB) or Vyapam scam under various sections of IPC, including 420 for cheating.
i. DK Pandey is appointed as the Director General of Police (DGP) of Jharkhand. He is a 1984 batch Indian Police Service (IPS) officer.
ii. He succeeded Rajeev Kumar who was posted as the DGP (Training). Kumar is an IPS officer of 1981 batch.
iii. Prior to his posting as DGP of Jharkhand, D K Pandey was the Additional Director General (ADG) of Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF).
6. Ranchi Rays wins Champions of Hero Hockey India League 2015
i. Ranchi Rays won the third edition of Champions of Hero Hockey India League (HHIL) 2015. In the final match they defeated Jaypee Punjab Warriors by score of 3-2 in the penalty shootout after 2-2 tie in regular time match.
ii. With this Jaypee Punjab Warriors took second position followed by Delhi Waveriders in third position.
Awards from the Hero Hockey India League (HHIL) 2015:
- Hero Goal of the Day- Barry Middleton of Ranchi Rays.
- Man-of the-Match- Tyler Lovell of Ranchi Rays.
- Hero Most Valuable Player of the Tournament- Ashley Jackson of Ranchi Rays