Current Affairs March 2015 Competitive Exams
1. Bank Rates
2. Diplomat Vikas Swarup was appointed as an official spokesperson of the Ministry of External Affairs.
3. Kerala Finance Minister KM Mani was appointed as the Chairman of the Empowered Committee of State Finance Ministers on Goods and Services Tax. The post was vacant since the former Jammu and Kashmir Finance Minister Abdul Rahim quit the position.
4. Indian Space Research Organisation won Gandhi Peace Prize 2014.
5. Nobel Laureate John F Nash Jr. won the Abel Prize 2015 for his work on partial differential equations.
6. CNN-IBN announced the Indian of the Year Award 2014 to Narendra Modi March 2015.
7. Artist Bharti Kher of India was conferred with the Knight of the Order of Arts and Letters. This is the highest cultural award of France.
8. Indian author Amitav Ghosh was shortlisted for the 2015 Man Booker International Prize.
9. Indian ecologist Madhav Gadgil and US Scientist Dr.Jane Lubchenco were named for the Tyler Prize for Environmental Achievement 2015.
10. Three-year-old archer Dolly Shivani Cherukuri of Andhra Pradesh entered the India Book of Records.
11. Lee Kuan Yew, the statesman and founding father of Singapore died. Yew, who in 1959 became the first Prime Minister of Singapore, was widely recognised as the founding father of modern Singapore.
12. Nobel laureate Sir Venkatraman Ramakrishnan was named as the President of Britain's prestigious Royal Society.
13. Ratan Tata was appointed as a chairman Kaya Kalp council formed to suggest innovative ways to transform the Indian Railways.
14. Air Marshal Sohail Aman was appointed as the Chief of Pakistan Air Force.
15. United States President Barack Obama nominated veteran diplomat David Hale as next Ambassador to Pakistan. His appointment was confirmed by the US Senate and he will succeed Cameron Munter.
16. IAS officer Kewal K Sharma was appointed as Chief Secretary of Delhi.
17. Kshatrapati Shivaji was appointed as the Chairman and Managing Director of Small Industries Development Bank of India.
18. The Waterman of India Rajendra Singh was named as the 2015 Stockholm Water Prize Laureate.
19. Legendary Singer Lata Mangeshkar was presented with the Laadli Voice of the Century award.
20. Ganasen Reddy was awarded with KwaZulu-Natal 2015 National Teachers Awards at the annual National Teaching Awards held in Johannesburg.
21. Former Union Minister and senior Congress leader M. Veerappa Moily was selected for the prestigious Saraswati Samman for 2014 for his Kannada poem Ramayana Mahanveshanam.
22. Three South Asian women, namely Niloofar Rahmani, Nadia Sharmeen and Tabassum Adnan were selected for the prestigious International Women of Courage Award for the year 2015 given by the US Secretary of State.
23. Bollywood actress Rani Mukerji was awarded with the National Award for the Best Representation of the Cause of Safety, Security and Protection of Women and Girl Child by National Institute of Gender Justice.
24. Hifikepunye Pohamba, outgoing Namibian President won the Mo Ibrahim prize for achievement in African leadership for year 2014.
25. Ratan Tata was honoured with an honorary Doctorate of Automotive Engineering by the Clemson University at the South Carolina Automotive Summit.
26. Megastar Amitabh Bachchan was roped in as the brand ambassador for Union Government’s campaign against Hepatitis B.
27. Union Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region announced to appoint boxer MC Mary Kom as the brand ambassador of the North-East region.
28. Google's Chief Financial Officer Patrick Pichette announced his retirement from the office citing personal reasons.
29. Prime Minister of India Narendra Modi visited Mauritius between 11 March and 12 March 2015 as part of his three nation tour to Seychelles, Mauritius and Sri Lanka.
30. Foreign Secretary S Jaishankar completed his SAARC Yatra. During the Yatra, he visited four countries namely Afghanistan on 4 March 2015, Pakistan on 3 March 2015, Bangladesh on 2 March 2014 and Bhutan on 1 March 2015.
31. Veteran Gandhian Narayanbhai Desai died at a private hospital in Surat.
32. Industrialist Deepak Khaitan died after a prolonged spell of illness.
33. Former Chief Minister of Haryana Hukam Singh died at a private hospital in Gurgaon.
34. The nuclear scientist Anil Kakodkar resigned from the post of Chairman of Board of Governors of Indian Institute of Technology Bombay.
35. Dr Rajendra Kumar Pachaur stepped down as Chairperson of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change.
36. Panjshir Valley of northern Afghanistan was hit by avalanches.
37. The 1st Counter-Terrorism Conference 2015 was held in Jaipur.
38. India will host the seventh Asian Ministerial Conference on Disaster Risk Reduction in 2016.
39. The Third UN World Conference on Disaster Risk Reduction (WCDRR) was held in Sendai City, Miyagi Prefecture, Japan.
40. NASA's Dawn spacecraft completed its Orbit around Dwarf Planet Ceres. By doing so, it became the first spacecraft to orbit around a dwarf planet.
41. India successfully test-fired nuclear weapons capable, surface-to-surface Prithvi-II missile with the range of 350 Km from Chandipur-on-sea in Balasore district, Odisha as part of a user trial by the army.
42. The first Indo-Nepal Friendship Motor Rally concluded at India Gate in New Delhi. The rally aimed at strengthening bilateral relations between India and Nepal and spreading the message of road safety.
43. World’s largest and tallest Indian national flag was unfurled on 3 March 2015 at Town Park in Faridabad, Haryana. The flag has dimension of 96 feet by 64 feet and weighs 48 kilograms.
44. China-backed Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) was in news as it was reported that France, Germany and Italy have agreed to join the AIIB after the United Kingdom (UK) decided to join the bank.
45. Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank is a 50 billion dollar international investment bank and was floated in 2014 by President Xi Jingping. India along with 20 other countries signed an agreement to become the founding member of Bank.
46. Eighth India-Nepal combined exercise named Surya Kiran VIII concluded at Salijhandi, Nepal.
47. Inflation targeting was in news recently as Union Government and Reserve Bank of India signed an agreement on Monetary Policy Framework. As per the agreement, RBI will have to maintain Consumer Price Index (CPI)-based inflation targets below six per cent by January 2016 and four per cent from 2016-17, with a band of plus/minus two per cent.
48. Two coaches of Dehradun-Varanasi Janta Express derailed Dehradun-Varanasi Janta Express derailed at Bachhrawan railway station near Raebareli district of Uttar Pradesh.
49. British Broadcasting Corporation released a documentary film India's Daughter. The documentary film has been directed by Leslee Udwin. The film is based on the Delhi gang rape and murder of the 23-year-old female named Nirbhaya that took place on 16 December 2012.
50. The abbreviation SCRIP (SASEC Road Connectivity Investment Program) was in news as a loan agreement of 300 million US dollars under the programme was signed between the Asian Development Bank (ADB) and the Union Ministry of Finance.
51. A Book Indian Parliamentary Diplomacy - Speaker’s Perspective written by Meira Kumar was released. Meira Kumar is a former Speaker of Lok Sabha.
52. SEBI has busted more than 150 cases of frauds against gullible investors involving close to Rs 13,000 crore in the current fiscal.
53. Finance Minister Arun Jaitley introduced ‘The Undisclosed Foreign Income and Assets (Imposition of Tax) Bill, 2015,’ in Lok Sabha proposing that it would come into effect from April 1, 2016. Here are 5 top penalties: 1. Penalty for non-disclosure of income or an asset located outside India will be equal to three times the normal tax rate of 30 per cent 2. Failure to furnish return in respect of foreign income or assets shall attract a penalty of Rs 10 lakh 3. Punishment for wilful attempt to evade tax will be rigorous imprisonment from three years to 10 years in addition to fine 4. Failure to furnish a return in respect of foreign assets and bank accounts or income will be punishable with rigorous imprisonment for a term of six months to seven years 5. Abetment or inducement to make a false return or a false account or statement or declaration will be punishable with rigorous imprisonment from 6 months to 7 years.
54. Cheaper fuel and lower food inflation are expected to add an additional Rs 1.4 lakh crore to the purses of Indian households in 2015-16 for spending, according to a research report issued by credit rating agency CRISIL.
55. Tamil Nadu has been ranked as the best performing state on eight out of nine development parameters like economy, power, roads and health while Kerala secured the second slot, according to an Assocham study.
56. Prime Minister Narendra Modi visited Sri Lanka and met with Sri Lankan president Mahinda Rajapaksa. The Prime Minister handed over 27,000 new homes to Tamils who became homeless during the civil war. He had also urged the Sri Lankan government to ensure early and full implementation of the 13th Amendment relating to devolution of powers to Tamils and to go beyond that in finding a political solution. Earlier, Modi flagged off a train service in the north-western town of Talaimannar. Modi also offered prayers at the Naguleswaram Temple in Jaffna.
57. India is set to become the first country in the world to have biometric data and no duplicacy in the voters' list after linking of Aadhaar card with voter identity card, Chief Election Commissioner H S Brahma said.
58. Parliament passed the Insurance Bill that raises the cap from 26% to 49%.
59. The retail inflation consumer price index rose to 5.37 per cent in February on higher prices of food items, including vegetables and beverages.
60. IMF predicted India pipping China to be the fastest - growing major economy in 2016-17, improved its outlook of the country’s economy. The IMF said the growth would strengthen to 7.2% in FY15 and further to 7.5% in FY16.
61. The Indian Railways signed a memorandum of understanding with the public insurer Life Insurance Corporation to bring in R1,50,000 crore of investments over the next five years to meet its R8.5-crore capital requirement by 2019.
62. Ahmedabad’s Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel International Airport saw the first India landing of Solar Impulse, a Swiss long-range solar-powered aircraft. Borschberg and Bertrand Piccard are two Swiss pilots who are attempting to fly around the world in the solar- powered plane. The plane that took off from Abu Dhabi, the United Arab Emirates, landed in Ahmedabad after a stop over at Muscat, Oman. It will next fly to Varanasi.
63. The global rating agency Moody’s retained its stable outlook on the sovereign rating at Baa3, citing India ’s large and diversified economy and healthy private savings rate. Moody’s Projected a 7.5 per cent GDP growth next fiscal.
64. Finance Minister Arun Jaitley announced an increase of Rs 70,000 crore in developing road and rail infrastructure in the coming financial year.
65. Government increased the service tax to 14 per cent from the current 12.36 per cent.
66. Finance Minister Arun Jaitley announced a 5 per cent reduction in corporate tax over next four years from 30% to 25%.
67. Prime minister Narendra Modi has called upon energy companies to become multinational at the inaugural session of energy conference ‘Urja Sangam’ in New Delhi.
68. With Kerala registering the lowest growth rate of population in the last one decade, the State is all set to achieve “zero population growth” in the coming years.
69. Prime Minister Narendra Modi also appealed to the well-to-do sections of the society to give up cooking gas subsidy.
Current Affairs March 2015 Competitive Exams Reviewed by Job today on 16:13 Rating: