Daily GK Updates 27th May 2015 Important Current Affairs
1. ANZ Bank to open 2 India branches by early 2016
i. ANZ Bank will open two more branches in India by early next year.
ii. The two branches would be opened at Gurgaon and Bangalore, ANZ Executive Director (International banking) Subhash DeGamia said. The bank opened its first branch in India at Mumbai four years ago.
iii. In June 2014, Australia New Zealand Banking Group (ANZ) said it received in-principle approval from the Reserve Bank of India to open new branches in Gurgaon and in outer Bengalore.
iv. Its Mumbai branch offers Indian Rupee and foreign currency services, working capital and term financing, transaction banking, global markets, deposits and advisory services.v. In addition, ANZ's Bangalore-based operations and technology shared services hub employs more than 6,000 staff supporting ANZ's businesses around the world.
2. Four Indians among Forbes world’s 100 most powerful women
i. Four Indians have been named in Forbes magazine’s 12th annual list of World’s 100 most powerful women.
ii. They are
- Arundhati Bhattacharya: First woman (and youngest) Chairperson of State Bank of India (SBI) was placed at 30th position.
- Chanda Kochhar: Managing Director (MD) and CEO of India’s largest private sector lender ICICI Bank was placed at 35th position.
- Kiran Mazumdar-Shaw: Founder, Chairman and MD of Biocon Limited was placed at 85th position.
- Shobhana Bhartia: Chairperson and Editorial Director of the Hindustan Times Group was placed at 93rd position. It should be noted she has appeared on the list for the first time.
iii. Top 10 powerful women: German Chancellor Angela Merkel (1st), Hillary Clinton (2nd), Melinda Gates (3rd), US Federal Reserve Chair Janet Yellen (3th), GM CEO Mary Barra (5th), IMF Chief Christine Lagarde (6th), Brazilian President Dilma Rousseff (7th), Facebook COO Sheryl Sandberg (8th), YouTube CEO Susan Wojcicki (9th) and US First Lady Michelle Obama (10th).
3. India gets its first transgender college principal
i. In a first in India, Manabi Bandopadhyay has been appointed the first transgender principal at a college in West Bengal.
ii. Manabi will assume the role of Krishnagar Women’s College principal in West Bengal on June 9. She is currently an associate professor in Bengali at Vivekananda Satobarshiki Mahavidyalaya.
iii. "This decision was taken by the College Service Commission. I don't interfere in their decisions. They are aware of our open mind. I am happy with this decision," state education minister Partha Chatterjee said.
4. NASSCOM launches Cyber Security Task Force
i. National Association of Software and Services Companies (NASSCOM) and Data Security Council of India have launched NASSCOM Cyber Security Task Force.
ii. Rajendra Pawar, Chairman, NIIT will chair this task force. The task force over a 12 week period will identify the key priorities and build the detailed action plan for the sector.
iii. It aims to improve the cyber security industry market share of the country from 1% of the IT-BPM industry to 10% by 2025 and plans to have a trained base of 1 million certified cyber security professionals. It also expects to build over 100 security product companies in India.
iv. B.V.R. Mohan Reddy, chairman of Nasscom said that the task force “will study the Indian cyber security ecosystem to identify issues and challenges and develop an action plan to address the priority issues."
v. It has proposed four working groups which focus on industry development, policy enablement, technology development and skill development respectively.
5. Nirbhay Sharma sworn-in as governor of Mizoram
i. Lt general (Retd) Nirbhay Sharma was sworn-in as the governor of Mizoram at the Durbar Hall of Raj Bhavan. Justice T Vaiphei, judge of the Gauhati high court, administered the oath of office to general Sharma.
ii. State chief minister Lal Thanhawla, his cabinet colleagues, legislators from both the ruling Congress and the opposition Mizo National Front (MNF), senior officials of the state government and the Army attended the gubernatorial swearing-in ceremony.
iii. General Sharma, the former governor of Arunachal Pradesh, was transferred and appointed as Mizoram governor on May 12 by President Pranab Mukherjee, replacing West Bengal governor Keshari Nath Tripathi who took additional charge of Mizoram.
iv. He is the eighth governor of Mizoram after the then state governor Vakkom Purushothaman resigned on July 12 last year in protest against being transferred to Nagaland.
6. FM Arun Jaitley announces setting up of NIIF
i. Finance minister Arun Jaitley had announced the setting up of the National Investment and Infrastructure Fund(NIIF) in the Union Budget. The north block has now issued a draft Cabinet note on its formation.
ii. The note is likely to be taken up by the Cabinet within a month's time.
iii. The National Investment and Infrastructure Fund is likely to have an initial corpus of less than Rs 20,000 crore. Infact, we pick up from our sources that the initial capital could be approximately between Rs 5,000 crore and Rs 10,000 crore.
iv. The finance ministry is likely to seek the Parliament's nod for supplementary funds once the Cabinet has given its nod. The government is also inviting foreign investors for their participation in the fund.
7. Sangakkara named CEAT International Cricketer of the Year, Rahane is Indian Cricketer of the Year
i. Former Sri Lanka captain Kumar Sangakkara on 25 May 2015 was named as the International Cricketer of the Year 2015 while the middle order batsman Ajinkya Rahane was named as the CEAT Indian Cricketer of the Year 2015.
ii. Former Indian captain Kapil Dev was conferred with the International Lifetime Achievement Award at the 19th edition of the awards.
iii. Rohit Sharma was given a special award for his record-breaking 264 made against Sri Lanka in an ODI at Kolkata.
List of award winners:
- International Lifetime Achievement Award - Kapil Dev
- International Cricketer of the Year – Kumar Sangakkara
- Indian Cricketer of the Year –Ajinkya Rahane
- International Batsman of the Year – Hashim Amla
- International Bowler of the Year – Rangana Herath
- T20 Player of the Year – Dwayne Bravo
- Popular Choice Award – Kieron Pollard
- Special Performance of the Year Award – Rohit Sharma
- Domestic Cricketer of the Year – R Vinay Kumar
- Young Player of the Year – Deepak Hooda
Daily GK Updates 27th May 2015 Important Current Affairs Reviewed by Job today on 10:25 Rating: