Daily GK Updates 4th May 2015 Current Affairs
i. Accepting the diminishing trend of children’s movies in the entertainment industry, actor-producer Dhanush,
whose co-production Tamil drama “Kaaka Muttai” grabbed the National Film Award, says he will focus on producing more children-based films.
ii. The film won the honour in the Best Children’s Film category. “I would focus on producing more children-based films. And this is just the beginning. I hope some good scripts come my way then I can do something about it,” Dhanush said.
iii. Directed by M. Manikandan, “Kaaka Muttai” is the story of two street urchins who set out on a journey to get their first bite of pizza. Dhanush has co-produced the film with filmmaker Vetrimaaran and Fox Star Studios.
iv. Dhanush accepted the award for the film at the 62nd National Film Awards ceremony held at Vigyan Bhavan here. Talking about the movie, he said: “I got really curious about the script when it came to me. The story about two boys and their urge to eat pizza captivated my interest”.
2. Syrian journalist Mazen Darwish honoured with UNESCO-Guillermo Cano World Press Freedom Prize 2015i. An independent International Jury of media professionals recommended Mazen Darwish in recognition of the work that he has carried out in Syria for more than ten years at great personal sacrifice, enduring a travelban, harassment, as well as repeated detention and torture.
ii. Led by Ko-ko U (Myanmar), chairman of the Yangon Media Group and publisher of the Yangon Times, the International Jury stressed the need to remember Mr Darwish, currently in prison, along with so many other human rights defenders and journalists.
iii. Darwish, a lawyer and press freedom advocate, is the president of the Syrian Centre for Media and Freedom of Expression (CMFE), founded in 2004, and one of the founders of the Voice newspaper and syriaview.net, an independent news site, which has been banned by the Syrian authorities.
iv. In 2011, Darwish established Media Club, the first Syrian magazine about media affairs.
3. AAP hit by mass resignation, 200 to quit in Maharashtrai. In a major blow to Arvind Kejriwal, around 200 Maharashtra Aam Aadmi Party workers are set to resign from the party.
ii. The party’s founding member Maruti Bhapkar said the workers were unhappy with senior party leaders and particularly Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal’s style of functioning.
iii. Talking to TV Today Network, Bhapkar said,” Today these disheartened members of AAP party will assemble at the SM Joshi foundation hall in the afternoon at 2pm. After 3 hours meeting they will announce their resignation from the party”.
iv. The mass resignations come shortly after the party was hit by a massive implosion, which saw the removal of senior founder members, Yogendra Yadav and Prashant Bhushan, for anti-party activities. AAP leaders from Maharashtra had questioned the decision to sack the two leaders.
4. Facebook launches open Internet.org platformi. Facebook Inc is launching an open platform for online content andapplication developers to join its Internet.org service, in a move the social media giant said would boost efforts to get people online in low-income and rural areas in emerging markets.
ii. The platform, unveiled on Monday, will be open to all developers who meet certain guidelines, including content being built for browsing on both feature and smartphones and in limited bandwidth scenarios, the company said in a statement.
iii. The move comes amid growing debate in India, home to the world’s third-largest population of Internet users, over free access and net neutrality in the country.
iv. Facebook partnered with Reliance Communications to launch Internet.org in India in February.
5. World Press Freedom day observed globallyi. The World Press Freedom day was observed globally on 3 May 2015.
ii. Every year, over 100 national celebrations take place to commemorate this day. This year, the theme of World Press Freedom day is Let Journalism Thrive! Towards better reporting, gender equality and media safety in the digital age.
iii. The day marks the celebrations of the fundamental principles of press freedom to evaluate press freedom around the world, to defend the media from attacks on their independence and to pay tribute to journalists who have lost their lives in the exercise of their profession.
iv. Generally, UNESCO on this day identifies the global theme and organizes the main event in different parts of world every year.
6. Future Group’s retail business to merge with Bharti Retaili. Kishore Biyani-promoted Future Retail Ltd.’s board has approved the consolidation and realignment of its retail operations with Bharti Retail Ltd., a statement by the company said on Monday.
ii. “The board of directors of Future Retail Limited, the flagship company of Future Group, and the board of directors of Bharti Retail Limited at their respective meetings held today (Monday) have approved a partnership between the companies,” the statement by Future retail said.
iii. The combined entity will have over 570 retail stores in 243 cities with operational retail space of over 18.5 million square feet.
7. Direct tax collection falls short by 14% in 2014-15i. The direct tax collection by the government during 2014-15 fell short of the target by about 14 per cent with Rs. 6,96,200 crore revenue coming to its kitty.
ii. Officials said the Income Tax Department which collects a variety of taxes like Income Tax and Corporate Tax collected approximately Rs. 6,96,200 crore in the fiscal ending March 31, 2015.
iii. The achieved collections are about Rs. 9,000 crore less or 14 per cent short of the projected target of Rs.7,05,000 crore.
iv. The collections are, however, 19 per cent more than the last fiscal. In 2013—14, the mop—up was Rs.5,83,000 crore.
v. The government had revised the direct tax collection target to Rs. 7,05,000 crore for the fiscal 2014—15 against the initial projection of Rs. 7,36,000 crore in view of the sluggish economic growth.
8. Surveymonkey CEO David Goldberg diesi. David Goldberg, a popular Silicon Valley executive and husband of Facebook second-in-command Sheryl Sandberg, has died suddenly at age 47, his company and family members said on Saturday.
ii. Goldberg was CEO of online survey questionnaire provider SurveyMonkey. He died on Friday night, the company said in a statement on its website. Family members also reported the death, via posts on Facebook.
iii. Sandberg launched an international conversation about the dearth of women in positions of power with her 2011 book “Lean In- Women, Work and the Will to Lead.”
9. Ex-Union minister Baleshwar Ram passes awayi. Former Union minister and veteran Congress leader Baleshwar Ram died on Saturday night due to kidney-related ailments in a private hospital here, his family sources said on Sunday. He was 87. He is survived by his wife, two sons and two daughters.
ii. A five-term MLA from various assembly constituencies since 1952, Ram had served in ministerial capacity in various Congress governments in Bihar in 1960s and 1970s.
iii. He was elected to Lok Sabha from Rosera constituency in 1980 and went on to serve in the Indira Gandhi government as a Union minister.
10. Russian ballet legend Maya Plisetskaya diedi. She is survived by her husband and brother, Azari Plisetsky, a retired dancerPlisetskaya born in Moscow on 20 November 1925 was considered as one of the greatest ballerinas of the 20th century.
ii. She danced for half a century and her modern choreography and performances charged with eroticism flouted Soviet convention.
iii. She was an international face of Russia’s Bolshoi Theater. She joined theballet company in 1943 at the age of 18 and became the Bolshoi’s prima ballerina in 1960. Later, she retired as a soloist in 1990 at the age of 65.
iv. The Soviet and Russian ballet dancer, choreographer, ballet director, and actress, published her autobiography, I, Maya Plisetskaya in 1994.
11. Maniram Patel wins Gold medal in men’s 20 kilometre walk in 19th Federation Cup senior athletics championshipi. Gujarat’s Maniram Patel claimed gold in the men’s 20 km walk in the 19th Federation Cup senior athletics championship, clocking a time of 1:29:51 in the finals held on Sunday morning.
ii. Kuldeep of Tata Motors (1:31:04) and Ankit Kumar of Indian Navy came second and third respectively.
iii. At the end of the second day on Saturday, hosts Karnataka was leading the points table with 63 points, ahead of Army (46) and Kerala (40).
12. Railways won the 5th Hockey India Senior Women National Championship 2015i. Railway Sports Promotion Board (RSPB) on 3 May 2015 won the 5th Hockey India Senior Women National Championship 2015.
ii. In the final match played at the Master Chandgi Ram sports stadium at Saifai, Uttar Pradesh, Railways defeated Hockey Jharkhand by 12-2.
iii. The third position was bagged by Hockey Punjab who beat Madhya Pradesh Hockey Academy by 2-0.
iv. Earlier on 28 April 2015, the 5th Hockey India Senior Men’s National Hockey championship 2015 was also by the Railway Sports Promotion Board (RSPB). In the final match Railways had defeated Uttar Pradesh Hockey (UPH) by 5-3.
Daily GK Updates 4th May 2015 Current Affairs Reviewed by Job today on 16:26 Rating: