As you know that Vocabulary is the cornerstone of your English skills. Without a strong vocabulary, you can not implement the rules of English grammar. Memorizing vocabulary may not be your favorite activity, but we have tried to create plenty of ways to make it more fun. It will be helpful for upcoming exams like SBI PO 2015, IBPS CWE-15 AND INSURANCE EXAMS. Hope you would like the post!!!
1. Parsimonious (Adj.):- Very unwilling to spend money.
Synonyms - stingy; niggard; penurious.
Uses : His parsimonious nature did not permit him to enjoy any luxuries.
2. Peccadillo (Noun):- A small mistake or fault that is not regarded as very bad or serious, minor offence.
Uses: If we examine these escapades carefully, we will realize that they are mere peccadilloes rather than major crimes.
3. Perfidious (Adj.):- One who has a treacherous character.
Synonyms:- treacherous; disloyal
Uses: When Caesar realized that Brutus had betrayed him, he reproached his perfidious friend.
4. Reproach (Verb):- Express criticism towards someone.
Synonyms:- dishonour; opprobrium; disgrace.
Uses: Narendra Modi rebuked one of his MP for his irresponsible behaviour.
5. Reverberate (verb):- have a long or continuous effect.
Synonyms: echo; resonate; resound.
Uses: The discussion with my teacher reverberated in my ears till I stop breathing.
6. Perseverance (Noun):- The act of persisting or perserving; continuing or repeating behaviour; the quality of being determined to do or achieve something.
Synonyms:- doggedness; persistence
Uses: If you have perseverance oneday you will be on the pinnacle of your career trajectory.
7. Accolade (Noun):- award of merit
Synonyms: award; honour; laurels
Uses: In Hollywood, an "Oscar" is the highest accolade.
8. Acrimonious (Adj.):- Bitter or sharp in language or tone.
Synonyms: stinging, caustic, bitter, scathing.
His tendency to utter acrimonious remarks alienated his audience.
9. Aggrandize (verb):- To enhance the power, wealth or position.
Synonyms- increase or intensify; raise in power, wealth, rank or honor
Uses: The history of the past quarter century illustrates how a President may aggrandize his power to act aggressively in international affairs without considering the wishes of Congress.
10. Ambivalence (Noun):- the state of having contradictory or conflicting emotional attitudes.
Synonyms: Equivocation; indecision; uncertainty
Torn between loving her parents one minute and hating them the next, she was confused by the ambivalence of her feelings.