As you know that Vocabulary is the cornerstone of your English skills. Without a strong vocabulary, you can not implement the rules of English grammar. Memorizing vocabulary may not be your favorite activity, but we have tried to create plenty of ways to make it more fun. It will be helpful for upcoming exams like SBI PO 2015, IBPS CWE-15 AND INSURANCE EXAMS. Hope you would like the post!!!
1. Defy – Refuse to obey or behave
Ex – This is the first time I dared to defy my mother.
Syno – Disobey, Disregard, Ignore
2. Monolith – A person or organization being massive, immovable or solidly uniform
Syno – Inflexible, Rigid, Intractable, Unbending
3. Milieu – Social surroundings
Ex – They stayed safe and happy within their own social milieu.
Syno – Environment, Backdrop, Background, atmosphere
4. Hierarchy - a system in which members of an organization or society are ranked according to relative status or authority.
Ex – The initiative was with those lower down in the hierarchy.
Syno – Pecking order, ranking, Grading
5. Constraints – Something that limits or controls what you can do
Ex – Their decision to abandon the trip was made because of financial constraints.
Syno – Restriction, Limitation, Curb
6. Lament – Expression of sadness, regret
Ex – He began to lament the death of his only son.
Syno – Wail, Moan, Groan
7. Envious – Jealousy
Ex – I don’t think I’m envious of your success.
Syno – Desirous, Covetous
8. Detract – Less good or impressive
Ex – The publicity could detract from our election campaign.
Syno – Diminish, Devalue, Decry
9. Preserve – Maintain a thing in its existing state (To retain)
Ex – We will do everything to preserve peace.
Syno – Conserve, Protect, Safeguard
10. Cursory – Hasty , Hurried (Something you don’t pay much attention to)
Ex – A cursory glance at the figures.
Syno – Perfunctory, Desultory, Casual, Superficial, Token