Learn English Vocabulary - SBI/IBPS/INSURANCE EXAMS - Competitive Exams - 9
1. Disseminate (V):- cause to become widely known,
Synonyms: broadcast, circularise, circularize, circulate, diffuse, disperse, distribute, pass around, propagate, spread.
Uses: After win of Narendra Modi in the general election , it would not take long for the media to disseminate the results to living rooms around the world.
2. Repudiate (V):- refuse to acknowledge, ratify, or recognize as valid.
Synonyms: disown, renounce, reject, abandon, forswear
Uses: The actress used the interview to repudiate claims of alcohol abuse.
3. Connundrum (N):- A riddle whose answer contain a pun; a difficult problem.
Synonyms: enigma, riddle, perplexity.
Uses: what is the difference between a jewller and a jailer? 'One sells the watches and the other watches the cell :)
4. Consecrate (V):- to cause to be revered, honoured or treated as sacred; dedicated to a sacred purpose.
Synonyms: hallowed, sacral, sacred, sacrosanct, sanctified.
Uses: The church was consecrated in 1234.
5. Placebo (N):- a substance which does not have any pharmacological effect but is administered to satisfy a patient who supposes it to be a real medicine.
Uses: The study indicated that sixty-five percent of the patients recovered when given a placebo.
6. Conscientious (Adj) :- characterized by extreme care and great effort.
Synonyms: painstaking, scrupulous, arduous, laborious, operose, punishing, toilsome, strenuous.
Uses: He received the employee of the year award because he was conscientious and hardworking.
7. Expostulation (N) :- the act of objecting; the act of expressing earnest opposition or protest.
Synonyms: objection, remonstrance, remonstration, demonstration.
Uses: The Prime minister went out of his way to expostulate his displeasure towards those who vandalized the church.
8. Abstemious (Adj.):- sparing in consumption of especially food and drink.
Synonyms: abstinent, abstentious, abstain.
Uses: The best way to avoid becoming obese is by being abstemious and only eating what is necessary to survive.
9. Brusque (Adj.):- Rough and abrupt in manner.
Synonyms: curt, terse, laconic, uncivil.
Uses: Because they are so busy, bank clerks often appear brusque.
10. Clandestine (Adj.):- Kept secret for a purpose, often for something illicit or evil.
Synonyms: secret, furtive, stealthy, surreptitious, underhand.
Learn English Vocabulary - SBI/IBPS/INSURANCE EXAMS - Competitive Exams - 9 Reviewed by Job today on 07:06 Rating: