1. Lewis Hamilton wins 2015 US Grand Prix to clinch 3rd F1 world title
- Mercedes’ Lewis Hamilton won his third Formula 1 World Championship.
- With this, he became only the second British driver after Sir Jackie Stewart to achieve the feat.
- Hamilton won a thrilling United States Grand Prix to seal the drivers’ title with his 10th victory of 2015.
- 1st position: Lewis Hamilton (Britain) of Mercedes.
- 2nd position: Nico Roseberg (Germany) of Mercedes.
- 3rd position: Sebastian Vettel (Germany) of Ferrari.
- 4th position: Max Verstappen (Netherlands) of Toro Rosso.
- 5th position: Sergio Perez (Mexico) of Force India.
2. Public service broadcaster Doordarshan emerged as most watched Hindi channel
- Broadcast Audience Research Council (BARC) released the All India viewership data.
- In the data, Doordarshan was emerged as most watched Hindi channel. The data for the first time included rural India.
- As per the BARC’s ratings, DD National, the flagship channel of Doordarshan, registered an Average Time Spent of 51 Min per viewer, which was highest among Hindi GECs, in the week 41 (from 10 October 2015 to 16 October 2015).
3. Sin Tax to be imposed on alcohol, tobacco during GST regime
- Sin tax is an excise tax levied on products and services like alcohol, tobacco and gambling considered bad for health or society. These additional taxes are also seen as efforts to discourage people from use of such products or services.
- This kind of tax is often used by government to attract higher their tax revenues as people generally refrain from opposition to such levies as they are indirect in nature and affect only their end users.
4. Jimmy Morales elected as President of Guatemala
- Former TV comedian wins Guatemala’s presidential election.
- He defeated former first lady Sandra Torres by a large margin.
- He is from National Convergence Front Party.
5. NDRF tied up with 30 PSUs to handle man-made or natural disasters
- India’s elite disaster mitigation combat force, National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) tied up with about 30 Public Sector Undertakings (PSUs).
- The tie up aimed to develop mutual understanding and enhance capabilities to jointly tackle man-made or natural emergencies.
- This first of its kind initiative will ensure that in case of any emergency or disaster the two sides can come together and act as one strong unit.
6. Abhishek Verma wins Silver in Archery World cup
- Abhishek Verma wins Silver and finished second to Demir Elmaagli of Turkey. The world Cup held at Mexico City.
- With this win, he became the first Indian archer to win a medal at the World Cup.
- Delhi-based archer dealt a perfect 150 on Mario Cardoso in the Semifinals but lost 143-145 in the gold medal match against turkey’s Demir Elmaagli.