Current Affairs October 2015 - Competitive Exams - GK Power Capsule October 2015
1. Fourth bi-monthly monetary policy statement 2015-16 was announced on 29 September 2015 by RBI. The monetary policy cut the repo rate, the rate at which RBI lends to commercial bank, by 0.50 percent from 7.25 percent to 6.75 percent with immediate effect.
a. Bank Rate – 7.75 % (Decreased 0.5%)
b. Cash Reserve Ratio – 4 % (Unchanged)
c. Statutory Liquidity Ratio – 21.5 % (Unchanged)
d. Repo Rate – 6.75 % (Decreased 0.5%)
e. Reverse Repo Rate – 5.75 % (Decreased 0.5%)
2. US President Barack Obama designated veteran Iraq expert Brett McGurk as Special Presidential Envoy to the US-led coalition fighting the Islamic State for Iraq and Syria (ISIS).
3. Canada's Liberal Party leader Justin Trudeau was elected as the Prime Minister of Canada.
4. Indian-origin Ashok-Alexander Sridharan sworn in as the mayor of Bonn in Germany.
5. Former Water Resources Secretary Alok Rawat was appointed as the first male member of the National Commission for Women (NCW).
6. The Union Government named veteran sports administrator Vijay Kumar Malhotra as the President of the All India Council of Sports.
7. MK Surana was appointed as the CMD of state-run oil marketer Hindustan Petroleum Corp Ltd.
8. Unified Communist Party of Nepal (Maoist) candidate Onsari Gharti Magar was unanimously elected as the first female House speaker of Nepal.
9. PS Jayakumar took over the charge of MD and CEO of Bank of Baroda. He has taken the charge when the bank is under the scanner for an alleged black money transactions worth over 6000 crore rupees. 10. IAS officer Alkesh Sharma was appointed as the CEO and MD of the Delhi-Mumbai Industrial Corridor Development Corporation.
11. Sekhar Basu was appointed as the chairman of Atomic Energy Commission.
12. AR Rahman was named as the Cultural Ambassador of Seychelles for his contribution in enhancing the country’s Art and Culture Development.
13. Hoesung Lee, a Korean professor was elected as the Head of the Inter-governmental Panel for Climate Change (IPCC) at its 42nd session in Dubrovnik, Croatia.
14. Ashish Bahuguna, the Chairman of the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) was given an additional charge of Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of FSSAI.
15. Shashank Manohar was elected President of Board of Control for Cricket in India. He was elected unopposed during a special general meeting called by the BCCI following the demise of Jagmohan Dalmiya.
16. Dr Anup K Pujari assumed additional charge as the CMD of Steel Authority of India Limited (SAIL).
17. Matthias Muller was appointed as the Chief Executive Officer of Volkswagen Group.
18. Two mountaineers Arjun Vajpai and Bhupesh Kumar in third week of October 2015 created history by becoming first people to climb 6180 meter high unnamed peak in Himachal’s Spiti Valley. The duo named the peak as Mout Kalam, in honour of former President of India, Dr. Abdul Kalam.
19. Metro Man Elattuvalapil Sreedharan was appointed to serve the United Nations’ High Level Advisory Group on Sustainable Transport (HLAGST).
20. Zimbabwean President Robert Mugabe was awarded with the 2015 Confucius Peace Prize by China.
21. Nobel Peace Prize winner of 2014 Kailash Satyarthi was conferred with the 2015 Humanitarian of the Year Award. The award is given annually by the Harvard Foundation for Intercultural and Race Relations of the Harvard University.
22. Jamaican writer Marlon James won the 2015 Man Booker Prize for Fiction for his novel A Brief History of Seven Killings.
23. Union Finance Minister Arun Jaitley was chosen as 'Finance Minister of the Year, Asia' by Londonbased publication Emerging Markets in October 2015.
24. Micro economist born in Edinburgh Angus Deaton won the 2015 Nobel Prize in Economics. He was awarded for his analysis of consumption, poverty, and welfare.
25. Tunisian National Dialogue Quartet won the Nobel Peace Prize 2015. It was awarded for its decisive contribution to the building of a pluralistic democracy in Tunisia in the wake of Jasmine revolution of 2011.
26. A R Rehman was chosen for the 2015 Hridaynath Mangeskar Award.
27. Belarusian author Svetlana Alexievich was awarded with the 2015 Nobel Prize in Literature for her polyphonic writings, a monument to suffering and courage in our time.
28. Tomas Lindahl, Paul Modrich and Aziz Sancar were jointly awarded with the Nobel Prize in Chemistry for having mapped how cells repair damaged DNA and safeguard the genetic information at a molecular level. Tomas Lindahl is from the Francis Crick Institute, UK; Paul Modrich is from Duke University School of Medicine, USA and Aziz Sancar belongs to University of North Carolina School of Medicine, USA.
29. Japan's Takaaki Kajita and American Arthur B. McDonald jointly won the 2015 Nobel Prize in Physics for their discovery of neutrino oscillations, which shows that neutrinos have mass.
30. Veteran Bollywood actor Shashi Kapoor was honoured with the Lifetime Achievement award during the closing ceremony of the 6th Jagran Film Festival in Mumbai.
31. The Nobel Committee for Physiology or Medicine announced the recipients of the 2015 award. The 2015 prize was divided, one half jointly to William C Campbell (Ireland) and Satoshi Omura (Japan) for their discoveries concerning a novel therapy against infections caused by roundworm parasites and the other half to Youyou Tu (China) for her discoveries concerning a novel therapy against Malaria.
32. Prince Charles of Britain awarded Indo-British van driver Dee Patel with the Pride of Britain Award. Patel had risked his life to save others.
33. Mathematician Jacob Tsimerman of the University of Toronto, Canada was chosen for the prestigious 2015 SASTRA Ramanujan Prize.
34. President Pranab Mukherjee concluded his 3- nation tour to Jordan, Palestine and Israel.
35. President Pranab Mukhrejee is the first Indian head to visit Palestine. During his visit, Mukherjee met with President Mahmoud Abbas of Palestine in Ramallah.
36. President Pranab Mukhrejee visited Jordan. Mukherjee met with His Majesty King Abdullah and senior Jordanian officials.
37. German Chancellor Angela Merkel visited India between 4 October and 6 October 2015. Prime Minister Modi and Chancellor Merkel held discussions on a wide range of issues of mutual interest, including deepening bilateral engagement in defence, security, education, renewable energy, skill development and agriculture. Indo-German Summit 2015 was held in Bengaluru on 6 October 2015.
38. Bollywood singer and songwriter Labh Janjua was found dead.
39. Legendary Tamil actress Gopishantha, popularly known by her stage name Manorama, died.
40. Renowned music director and lyricist Ravindra Jain passed away on.
41. The 16th Governor of Manipur and member of Congress, Syed Ahmed passed away in Mumbai due to cancer.
42. Swami Dayanand Saraswati died in his ashram in Rishikesh.
43. The Pravasi Bharatiya Divas Conference 2016 will be held in New Delhi from 8 January to 10 January 2016. Beside this, the Union Government also announced that it will organise the 9th Regional Pravasi Bharatiya Diwas (RPBD) at Los Angeles California, USA on the 14 November and 15 November 2015.
44. Leaders’ Summit on Peacekeeping was held at the UN headquarters in New York, the USA.
45. Union Communications and IT Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad released a commemorative postal stamp on Dr Bhimrao Ramji Ambedkar. The government is celebrating 125th birth anniversary of Dr Ambedkar in the year 2015.
46. Operation Sophia: Naval operation launched by the European Union against human smugglers and traffickers in the Mediterranean Sea.
47. Turkmenistan-Afghanistan-Pakistan-India or TAPI natural gas pipeline project was in news as the Gas Authority of India Limited (GAIL) is expected to take 10 percent stake in the project.
48. Google’s flagship Project Loon was in news because Prime Minister Narendra Modi praised the ambitious project and believed that it has multiple uses like long distance education, rural schools and telemedicine. Loon uses high-altitude balloons placed in the stratosphere at an altitude of about 32 km to produce an aerial wireless network with up to 3G-like speeds. Each balloon can provide connectivity to a ground area about 40 km in diameter using a wireless communications technology called LTE.
49. The country’s prestigious DRDO Missile Complex in Hyderabad was renamed as Dr APJ Abdul Kalam Missile Complex on the occasion of the 84th Birth Anniversary of Dr Kalam, the Missile Man.
50. The Navies of India, United States and Japan began the five-day Malabar exercise 2015 on the Eastern Coast in which several warships, aircraft carriers and fast attack submarine will be participating.
51. The third India-Sri Lanka joint training exercise, named Mitra Shakti-2015, culminated at Aundh Military Camp, Pune.
52. Fifth joint military exercise between India and China, named Hand-in-Hand 2015, started at Kunming Military Academy, Yunnan Province, China.
53. The Defence Research and Development Organisation inaugurated an Extreme Altitude Research Centre at Chang La, Ladakh in Jammu and Kashmir at 17600 feet above mean sea level. It is the world’s highest terrestrial research and development centre.
54. 26th edition of the Coordinated Patrol (CORPAT) between India and Indonesia began in the Andaman Sea.
55. Expert committee was constituted to revisit the civil services examination pattern. The seven member committee is headed by B S Baswan.
56. The book Dreaming Big: My Journey to Connect India was launched. It is the auto biography of Sam Pitroda written with the help of David Chanoff, an American author.
57. The book titled Smita Patil: A Brief Incandescence authored by Maithili Rao was launched.
58. The book titled Ruled or Misruled: Story and Destiny of Bihar authored by the Assistant Editor of the Indian Express’ Santosh Singh was released.
59. The book titled The Clintons' War on Women authored by Roger Stone and Robert Morrow released.
60. Prime Minister Narendra Modi laid the foundation stone of Shri Venkateswara Mobile and Electronics Manufacturing Hub in Tirupati in Andhra Pradesh.
61. The Union Ministry of Urban Development gave its nod to the first batch of state level Action Plans under Atal Mission for Rejuvenation and Urban Transformation (AMRUT). The approved Action Plans have a total of 143 projects in 89 AMRUT cities in Andhra Pradesh, Gujarat and Rajasthan.
62. The Union Cabinet gave its approval for signing of a Mutual Legal Assistance Treaty in Criminal Matters between India and the Maldives.
63. The Union Cabinet gave its nod to sign an agreement between India and Egypt on Maritime Transport.
64. The Karnataka and Gujarat Governments lifted the ban on manufacturing and sale of Nestle India's popular instant food brand Maggi noodles.
65. Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare modified National Blood Policy, 2002. This is permitting the transfer of blood from one blood bank to another in case of shortage.
66. Union Minister of Urban Development M Venkaiah Naidu declared that former President Dr. Abdul Kalam’s birth place Rameswaram has been included in Atal Mission for Rejuvenation and Urban Transformation (AMRUT) for providing basic urban infrastructure.
67. The Union Ministry of Home Affairs introduced a scheme called Central Victim Compensation Fund with an initial amount of 200 crore rupees. The scheme aims at enabling support to victims of various attacks, such as rape, acid attacks, human trafficking and women killed or injured in the cross border firing.
68. The Union Government approved a MoU between the Ministry of New and Renewable Energy, India and Mozambique.
69. Jammu and Kashmir High Court ruled that the provisions under Article 370 are beyond amendment, repeal or abrogation.
70. The Union Cabinet approved the construction of National War Memorial and a National War Museum at Princess Park near India Gate, Delhi.
Current Affairs October 2015 - Competitive Exams - GK Power Capsule October 2015 Reviewed by Job today on 19:42 Rating: