Daily GK Updates 21st December 2015 Important Current Affairs
1. Miss Philippines Pia Alonzo Wurtzbach has been 64th crowned Miss Universe after beating out contenders from the United States, France, Colombia and Australia. She was crowned by 2014 Miss Universe winner Paulina Vega of Columbia. Miss USA Olivia Jordan has been named the second runner-up.
2. Mother Teresa, a Roman Catholic religious sister and missionary will be given Sainthood i.e. will be made a saint of the Roman Catholic Church in September 2016.
3. Barcelona FC has won the 2015 FIFA Club World Cup for a record third time. In the final match played at International Stadium Yokoham in Japan the winning team defeated River Plate FC by 3-0 goals. Three goals for Barcelona FC were scored by Lionel Messi (36 minute), Luis Suarez (49 minute) and Neymar (68 minute). Earlier Barcelona FC had won the FIFA Club World Cup in 2009 and 2011 and it is their fifth trophy of season 2015.
4. Chennaiyin FC has won the second edition of Indian Super League (ISL) Football tournament. In the final played at the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium in Goa, they defeated hosts Goa FC by 3-2 goals score. Till the 87th minute of final match Goa was leading by 2-1 goals but the self goal from their keeper Laxmikant Kattimani in the 90th minute and Colombian Stiven Mendoza’s strike seconds later helped Chennai win the title.
5. The United States (US) has lifted a 40 year ban on oil exports marking a historic shift for the booming US oil industry.
6. The United States (US) Senate has ratified reforms in the International Monetary Fund (IMF) to boost the representation of emerging economies as part of a budget bill. The reforms ratified in the legislation are in line with the proposed 2010 Quota Reforms and now it will go to President Barack Obama for assent. These proposed reforms are the biggest change in the governance of the Fund since it was established after World War Two in 1945 after the Bretton Woods Conference.
7. Parliament has passed The Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes (Prevention of Atrocities) Amendment Bill, 2015. The bill was first passed in Lok Sabha in August 2015 and later in Rajya Sabha in December 2015. Now it will go for presidential assent.
8. Kurt Masur, widely regarded as one of the world's greatest conductors, passed away on 19 December 2015 in the United States. He died from complications of Parkinson’s Disease. He was 88. Known as one of the last old-style maestros, Masur was best known for serving as the music director of the New York Philharmonic (NYP) from 1991-2002. In that capacity, he led the Philharmonic in a performance of Brahms's Deutsches Requiem in the aftermath of the 11 September 2001 terrorist attacks.
9. Kane Williamson, 25, on 21 December 2015 became the first cricketer from New Zealand to top the International Cricket Council’s (ICC’s) Test rankings. He clinched the spot after guiding the Black Caps to a series-clinching five-wicket win in the second Test against Sri Lanka in Hamilton.
10. The West Bengal Government on cleared the proposal for setting up five new districts in the state. These five new districts will increase the number of districts of West Bengal to 25.
11. India’s Abhay Singh won the Under-19 Singapore Squash Open. In the final of the Old Chang Kee Singapore Open, he defeated second seed Alwin Chai of Malaysia.
Daily GK Updates 21st December 2015 Important Current Affairs Reviewed by Job today on 19:36 Rating: