1. In Bi-Monthly Monetary policy RBI left the repo unchanged at 6.75% as widely expected, following the 50-basis-point cut in September, making no alterations in the reserve or cash requirements. The RBI has revised its forecast for inflation to 5% by March 2017. However, it retained the 7.4% GDP forecast.
a. Bank Rate – 7.75 % (Unchanged)
b. Cash Reserve Ratio – 4 % (Unchanged)
c. Statutory Liquidity Ratio – 21.5 % (Unchanged)
d. Repo Rate – 6.75 % (Unchanged)
e. Reverse Repo Rate – 5.75 % (Unchanged)
f. Marginal Standing Rate – 7.75 % (Unchanged)
2. Former Defence Secretary Radha Krishna Mathur was appointed as Chief Information Commissioner of India.
3. Senior revenue service officer Arun Kumar Jain was appointed Chairman of Central Board of Direct Taxes.
3. Senior revenue service officer Arun Kumar Jain was appointed Chairman of Central Board of Direct Taxes.
4. Ministry of External Affairs appointed Mumbai Police Commissioner Ahmad Javed as the Ambassador to Saudi Arabia.
5. Mauricio Macri Blanco was sworn in as the President of Argentina.
6. Justice Tirath Singh Thakur was sworn in as 43rd Chief Justice of India (CJI) by President Pranab Mukherjee at Rashtrapati Bhavan, New Delhi. Thakur succeeded incumbent Justice H L Dattu.
7. Dominica-born British lawyer Patricia Scotland was appointed as the Secretary General of the Commonwealth of Nations. With this, Patricia become the first British citizen and first woman as well to hold the role in the 66-year history of 53-member Commonwealth.
8. Sunil Kanoria was appointed as the President of The Associated Chamber of Commerce and Industry of India (ASSOCHAM).
9. Miss Philippines Pia Alonzo Wurtzbach was crowned Miss Universe 2015 at the final of 64th edition of Miss Universe held in Las Vegas, the USA.
10. Miss Spain Mireia Lalaguna Royo was crowned Miss World 2015 at the Beauty of Crown Theater in Sanya, China.
11. The West Bengal Government honoured music composer Bappi Lahiri and singer Kumar Sanu with Lifetime Achievement Awards.
12. Indian-origin Tamil writer Jamaludeen Mohamed Sali was declared as the winner of the prestigious South East Asian Write Award for Singapore.
13. Dilip Kumar was conferred with the Padma Vibhushan, the second-highest civilian honour.
14. Global software giant Wipro announced that it won the 2015 Aegis Graham Bell Award for developing a solution for the Internet of Things.
15. India-born author Salman Rushdie was awarded the prestigious Mailer Prize for lifetime achievement.
16. Naseerudin Shah was honoured with the Lifetime Achievement Award at the 12th edition of Dubai
International Film Festival in Dubai.
17. Two Indians, Kartik Sawhney and Neha Swain, have won the 2016 Queen's Young Leaders award in the United Kingdom which will be presented by the British monarch in Buckingham Palace in June 2016.
18. Frank Islam, an Indian-American entrepreneur and philanthropist, will be conferred with Uttar Pradesh Ratna Award.
19. The Delhi Development Authority was awarded with the E-India Award for adopting technology to serve the public better and using resources efficiently through mobile applications.
20. Hinduja Brothers were honoured with the prestigious Lifetime Achievement Award at the annual Asian Business Leadership Forum (ABLF) Series in Dubai.
21. President Pranab Mukharjee presented Dr APJ Abdul Kalam IGNITE awards 2015.
22. President of France Francois Hollande will the Chief Guest at 67th India’s Republic Day celebrations.
23. British Novelist Peter Dickinson passed away following a brief illness in Winchester, Hampshire.
24. Renowned economist, agriculturist, prolific journalist and stalwart farmer leader Sharad Joshi passed away.
25. Renowned sarangi player Ustad Sabri Khan died in New Delhi.
26. Eldar Ryazanov, one of the most popular Russian film directors of the Soviet era, died.
27. The Australian association football player Joe Marston.
28. Noted litterateur and Professor Surendra Upadhyay passed away due to cardiac arrest.
29. World Bank Group’s Global Knowledge Partnership on Migration and Development (KNOMAD) initiative released the Migration and Remittances Factbook 2016. The report provides a snapshot of latest statistics on immigration, emigration, skilled emigration, and remittance flows for 214 countries and territories.
30. Global Financial Integrity released the Global Illicit Financial Flows Report 2015 entitled Illicit inancial Flows from the Developing Countries: 2004-2013. Among the 149 countries surveyed, India stood at the 4th position in terms of illicit financial flows between 2004 and 2013 with 51 billion US dollars.
31. Asian Development Bank released a report entitled Asian Economic Integration Report 2015: How Can Special Economic Zones Catalyze Economic Development?
32. World Economic Forum released the Global Gender Gap Report 2015. Out of the 145 countries surveyed, while Iceland topped the Gender Gap Index for the seventh year in a row, India stood at the 108th position.
33. 2nd World Internet Conference was concluded at Wuzen in China.
34. The two-day 14th Meeting of the Council of Heads of Governments of Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (CSO) Member States was concluded in Zhengzhou, China.
35. 5th Ministerial Conference of Heart of Asia-Istanbul Process was concluded in Islamabad, Pakistan. The event was jointly inaugurated by Pakistan Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif and President of Afghanistan Ashraf Ghani. Indian delegation was headed by External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj.
36. The 10th East Asia Summit was held in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Theme was Our People, Our Community, Our Vision. The 11th East Asia Summit will be held in Laos.
37. Union Government requested the states and Union Territories to start Operation Smile-II from 1 January 2016. Operation Smile-II is a campaign to rescue/rehabilitate the missing children.
38. Storm Desmond wreaked havoc in parts of Northern Ireland, north Wales, southern Scotland and northwest England in the first week of December 2015.
39. Losar, the biggest Tibetan Buddhist Festival began in Ladakh region of Jammu and Kashmir.
40. Two Indian cities, Varanasi and Jaipur, have made it to the Creative City Network of the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) for the first time ever.
41. The book titled The Bose Brothers and Indian Independence – An Insider’s Account authored by Madhuri Bose was released.
42. Life On My Terms: From the Grassroots to the Corridors of Power, an autobiography of Sharad
Pawar was released by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
43. The Union Government appointed Justice L Narasimha Reddy to head the Judicial Committee
which will look into the implementation of One Rank One Pension (OROP) scheme for the ex-servicemen.
44. The Chief Economic Advisor Arvind Subramanian led panel submitted its report on GST. The commission recommended standard rate for GST at 17 to 18 percent, the rate at which most products would likely be taxed. The Committee has suggested doing away with a proposal to levy a one percent inter-state tax on transfer of good. The committee excluded real estate, electricity and alcohol and petroleum products while calculating tax rates but has suggested bringing them under the ambit of GST soon. It recommended a range of 12 to 40 percent for various products and services. Revenue Neutral Rate (RNR) proposed at 15-15.5% (Union and states combined).It included petroleum and alcohol in GST regime.
45. The Defence Acquisition Council approved the purchase of 5 units of Russian advance S-400 Triumf Air Defence Missile Systems from Russia at an estimated cost of 40000 crore rupees.
46. Prime Minister Narendra Modi chaired the combined Commanders Conference, an annual tri-services event held on board INS Vikramaditya about 50 kms off Kochi coast, Kerala.
47. Indo-Russia bilateral maritime exercise Indra Navy 2015 commenced in Vishakhapatnam.
48. Long Range Surface-to-Air Missile was successfully flight-tested for the first time from an Israeli Naval Platform. The missile is co-developed by India and Israel. LRSAM is also called Barak 8 missile in Israel.
49. The South Asian Annual Disaster Management Exercise (SAADMEx) 2015 was concluded by the Union Government in Delhi.
50. Search engine giant Yahoo on 21 December 2015 named Cowas the Personality of the Year 2015. Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar and Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal were among the top newsmakers of 2015.
51. Prime Minister Narendra Modi released two commemorative coins of 125 rupees and 10 rupees,
as part of the 125th birth anniversary year celebrations of Dr. Babasaheb Bhim Rao Ambedkar.
52. World Robot Olympiad 2015 was held in Doha, Qatar. This time Indian students were able to win
three medals (1Gold & 2 Silver) and one position (Eighth).
53. Rajya Sabha passed the Schedule Caste and Schedule Tribe (Prevention of Atrocities) Amendment Bill, 2015.
54. The Lok Sabha passed the Commercial Courts, Commercial Division and Commercial Appellate Division of High Courts Bill, 2015. The Bill will help bring in big foreign investments into the country and improve India's global image on ease of doing business. It will help set up commercial benches in select high courts to settle high value commercial disputes.
55. The Union Cabinet, presided by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi gave its approval for the revised Model Text for the Indian Bilateral Investment Treaty.
56. The Union Cabinet gave its ex-post facto approval to a MoU signed between India and BRICS countries (Brazil, Russia, China and South Africa) for strengthening energy efficiency cooperation.
57. The World Bank approved a 1.5 billion US dollar loan for the ambitious Clean India Campaign (Swachh Bharat Mission).
58. The Lok Sabha passed the landmark Atomic Energy (Amendment) Bill, 2015. The bill seeks to overcome difficulties encountered in the setting up of new nuclear projects and enhancement of nuclear power generation. The amendment will pave the way for Atomic Energy Units, including Nuclear Power Corporation of India Limited (NPCIL) to enter into joint-ventures with other Public Sector Undertakings (PSUs) and government sector companies.
59. The Union Government signed MoU and documentation for establishing three Indian Institute
of Information Technology (IIITs) at Ranchi, Nagpur and Pune. These IIITs are operated on a Public- Private-Partnership (PPP) model.
60. The Union Cabinet approved a 4000 crore rupees proposal for introducing measures to encourage Shipbuilding and Ship Repair Industry in India.
61. The Supreme Court asked the Union Government to operationalise the Organised Crimes Investigating Agency (OCIA) by 1 December 2016. OICA will probe human trafficking cases across the nation.
62. The Union Cabinet, presided by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, gave its approval to carry out official amendments in the National Waterways Bill, 2015. The amendments provide for enacting a Central Legislation to declare 106 additional inland waterways as the national waterways.
63. The Supreme Court directed State and Union Territory Governments to consider acid-attack
victims under the disabled quota.
64. The Lok Sabha passed the Bureau of Indian Standards Bill 2015 to establish the Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) as a National Standards Body.
65. The Union Cabinet approved setting up of six new Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs) in Andhra Pradesh, Chhatisgarh, Goa, Jammu, Kerala and Karnataka.
66. The Union Government launched the injectable Inactivated Polio Vaccine (IPV) as part of its
commitment to the Global Polio Endgame Strategy.
67. The Ministry of Urban Development approved an investment of 3120 crore rupees investment plans for basic urban infrastructure boost for 102 cities approved under Atal Mission for Rejuvenation and Urban Transformation (AMRUT).
68. RBI released the final guidelines on computing interest rates on advances based on the Marginal Cost of Funds Methodology. The guidelines will come into effect from 1 April 2016. The new methodology is aimed at bringing uniformity among BRs of banks so that they will be more sensitive to any changes in policy rates of the RBI like Cash Reserve Ratio (CRR), Statutory Liquidity Ratio (SLR), etc. Existing loans and credit limits linked to the Base Rate may continue till repayment or renewal, as the case may be. Existing borrowers will also have the option to move to the MCLR linked loan.
69. Union Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas appointed a single-member committee headed by Ajit Prakash Shah to look into the dispute between Oil and Natural Gas Corporation Limited and Reliance Industries Limited on Krishna Godavari gas fields.
70. Union Government slashed the Minimum Export Price of onions to 400 US dollars per tonne from 700 dollars a tonne.