January 2016 Current Affairs - Competitive Exams - GK Power Capsule January 2016
1. Union Government re-appointed Dr Urjit R Patel, as Deputy Governor of Reserve Bank of India (RBI), for a second three-year term. Patel is the fourth deputy governor and the other three are HR Khan, R Gandhi and SS Mundra.
2. Devender Kumar Sikri was appointed as Chairman of fair-trade regulator Competition Commission of India (CCI). He succeeds Ashok Chawla.
3. Amitabh Kant was appointed as the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of NITI Aayog.
4. Dr Achyuta Samanta was elected as the General President of the 105th Indian Science Congress Association.
5. Filippo Grandi took over as the new High Commissioner for the United Nations Refugee Agency.
6. Former Defence Secretary Radha Krishna Mathur was sworn in as the eight Chief Information Commissioner.
7. Senior revenue service officer Atulesh Jindal was appointed chairman of Central Board of Direct Taxes. 8. Noted environmentalist Ravi Chellam took charge as the Executive Director of Greenpeace India.
9. Additional Secretary of Home Affairs, Sailesh was appointed as the Registrar General and Census Commissioner of India.
10. Moldovan parliament appointed Pavel Filip as the Prime Minister.
11. Economist Paul Kaba Thieba was named as the Prime Minister of Burkina Faso.
12. Arunima Sinha, the amputee mountaineer who set a record by climbing the Mount Everest conquered Mount Aconcagua in Argentina.
13. India’s Dinesh Sharma was elected to the 12-member board of directors of the China-sponsored Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB). It is the first Board of Directors of AIIB in which 57 nations are founding members including India.
14. Opposition candidate of Democratic Progressive Party Tsai Ing-wen won a landslide victory in Taiwan's presidential election, making her the island's first female president.
15. Giorgi Kvirikashvili was elected as the Prime Minister of Georgia.
16. Atul Sobti took charge as Chairman and Managing Director (CMD) of state-owned power equipment maker Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited.
17. Gautam H Bambawale was appointed as the High Commissioner of India to the Islamic Republic of Pakistan.
18. Senior IAS officer Pawan Kumar Agarwal was appointed as Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of food regulator Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI).
19. BJP suspended its Darbhanga MP Kirti Azad, who has been making public statements that there was “corruption” in the Delhi and District Cricket Association (DDCA) when Union Finance Minister Arun Jaitley was heading it.
20. Actor Sanjay Dutt, serving the remainder of his fiveyear term in Yerwada jail in Pune, is set to walk free on February 27, nearly 103 days before the end of his term, on account of “good conduct”.
21. Prime Minister Narendra Modi returned to New Delhi after conclusion of his official visit to Russia, Afghanistan and Pakistan.
22. The Reserve Bank of India Governor Raghuram Rajan was felicitated with the Central Banker of the Year Award (Global and Asia Pacific) for 2016.
23. Former Indian Wicket-Keeper Syed Kirmani was awarded with the 2015 Col. CK Nayudu Lifetime Achievement Award. On the other hand, Test captain Virat Kohli bagged the Polly Umrigar Trophy for Cricketer of the Year in the BCCI awards.
24. British writer Kate Atkinson won the novel-of-theyear prize at Britain's Costa Book Awards 2015 for the second time in three years.
25. Eminent Gujarati litterateur Raghuveer Chaudhary was selected for the 51st Jnanpith award for his contribution to the Indian literature.
26. Person of Indian Origin Rahul Thakkar was named as one of winners of the Scientific and Technical Awards given by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, famously called Oscar Awards.
27. Bollywood actress and former Miss World, Priyanka Chopra, has won the ‘Favourite Actress in a New TV series’ award at the People’s Choice Awards 2016 in Los Angeles, for her leading role in American TV thriller series Quantico.
28. Indian author Anuradha Roy won the prestigious DSC Prize for South Asian Literature for her novel Sleeping on Jupiter at the Galle Literary Festival in Sri Lanka.
29. David Beckham was presented with the Danny Kaye Humanitarian Leadership Award at the sixth biennial UNICEF Ball in Los Angeles.
30. Umaid Bhawan Palace in Jodhpur, Rajasthan won the award of the world's best hotel at the Travellers' Choice award organised by TripAdvisor.
31. The Nati folk dance of Kullu district of Himachal Pradesh was listed in the Guinness Book of World Records as the largest folk dance in the world.
32. Employees’ Provident Fund Organization won the National Award on e-Governance 2015-16 for launching the Universal Account Number (UAN).
33. Sand artist Sudarsan Pattnaik’s Santa Claus sculpture found a place in Limca Book of World Records. Pattnaik claimed that he had created a 45 feet high sand Santa Claus at Puri beach.
34. The Union Government decided to institute a new award category under the National Film Awards titled The Most Film Friendly State/UT.
35. Sikkim was declared as the first organic farming state of India.
36. Kerala became the first state in the country to achieve 100 percent primary education.
37. The 20th National Youth Festival was inaugurated by Union Road Transport and Highways Minister Nitin Gadkari at Rajyostav Sthal in Naya Raipur, Chhattisgarh to mark the National Youth Day.
38. Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Mufti Mohammad Sayeed passed away at the AIIMS hospital in New Delhi.
39. Ex-Chief Justice of India Sarosh Homi Kapadia passed away.
40. Legendary dancer and Padma Bhushan recipient Mrinalini Sarabhai passed away.
41. Former Maharashtra health minister and Senior Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Dr Daulatrao Aher died.
42. Veteran Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader and former Sikkim Governor Ventrapragada Rama Rao passed away.
43. Mohammed Abdul Rahim Qureshi, Assistant General Secretary and Spokesman of All India Muslim Personal Law Board (AIMPLB), died.
44. Bollywood actor Rajesh Vivek Upadhyay died due to a heart attack in Hyderabad.
45. Lieutenant General Jacob-Farj-Rafael Jacob (retired), hero of 1971 Bangladesh Liberation War and former Governor of Goa and Punjab, died on 13 January 2016 after prolonged illness in New Delhi. He was 92.
46. Noted Hindi writer and journalist Ravindra Kalia passed away.
47. Maria Teresa de Filippis, the first woman to compete in a world championship Formula One grand prix, passed away.
48. Cinematographer Vilmos Zsigmond, winner of an Oscar for Steven Spielberg’s Close Encounters of the Third Kind, passed away on 1 January 2016 in California, United States.
49. Veteran Communist Party of India (CPI) leader Ardhendu Bhushan Bardhan passed away.
50. Grammy-winning singer Natalie Cole passed away.
51. Ian Murdock, best known for founding one of the world's best known Linux distributions, passed away.
52. Veteran British character actor Alan Rickman, known for his memorable portrayal of screen villains, has died.
53. General Om Prakash Malhotra, former Punjab Governor and ex-Chief of Army, passed away.
54. Veteran Indian actress Sadhana Shivdasani died on 25 December 2015 in Mumbai, Maharashtra after a brief illness.
55. INSEAD, one of the world's leading and largest graduate business schools, on 19 January 2016 launched the Global Talent Competitiveness Index (GTCI) 2015-16. It was released in Davos, Switzerland on the sidelines of the 46th annual summit of the World Economic Forum (WEF). The report measured the ability of 109 countries, across the globe, to compete for talent and was prepared with the theme Talent Attraction and International Mobility. Among the 109 countries surveyed, the countries that ranked high in global talent competitiveness were- Switzerland (1), Singapore (2), Luxembourg (3), the USA (4) and Denmark (5) Compared to its 78th rank in the 2014-15 report, India slipped 11 places to rank 89th in the GTCI 2015-16.
56. Oxfam released a report titled An Economy for the 1%. The report analysed growing trends of concentration of wealth across the world and suggested remedies to correct the anomaly.
57. The World Tourism Organization released the World Tourism Barometer, which reviewed trends in tourism at the regional and global level for 2015 and enumerated prospects for 2016.
58. The World Bank released a report titled World Development Report 2016. In relation to India, the authors of the report that included Kaushik Basu, Senior Vice President and Chief Economist of World Bank appreciated the Aadhaar scheme as it saved 1 billion US dollars by bringing down corruption.
59. The 21-member committee was constituted by the SEBI in March 2015 under the chairmanship of N R Narayan Murthy, co-founder of Infosys, to suggest measures for development of the alternative investment funds (AIFs) and startup eco-system in the country.
60. Union Ministry of Finance released the draft report of Justice R V Easwar (Retd) Committee to simplify the provisions of Income-tax Act, 1961.
61. The Union Ministry of Finance released the report of the Committee on Revisiting and Revitalising Public Private Partnership (PPP) Model.
62. The Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries released the 2015 OPEC World Oil Outlook (WOO).
63. Union Government formed a five-member high level committee to monitor the Mumbai-Ahmedabad High Speed Corridor (bullet train project). The committee will be headed by NITI Aayog Vice Chairman Arvind Panagariya.
64. Department of Posts formed a one-man committee to study issues related to Gramin Dak Sevaks including wage structure and service conditions. The panel will be headed by Kamlesh Chandra.
65. Union Government constituted Shyam Benegal Committee for holistic interpretation of the provisions of the Cinematograph Act, 1952.
66. Conference of Quadrilateral Coordination Group (QCG) on Afghan Peace and Reconciliation process was held in Islamabad on 11 January 2016.
67. The Indian Space Research Organization and Kuwait Institute of Scientific Research signed a Memorandum of Understanding on cooperation in the exploration and use of outer space for peaceful purposes.
68. The Union Cabinet gave its ex-post facto approval for signing a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between Airports Authority of India and Singapore Cooperation Enterprise in Civil Aviation.
69. The Civil Aviation Ministry gave clearance for four greenfield airports. The three airports will be located in Andhra Pradesh and one international airport at Dholera, Gujarat.
70. The Union Cabinet gave its ex-post facto approval for the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and United Kingdom on cooperation in governance reforms.
71. Operation Green Hunt, an all-out offensive by India’s paramilitary forces and the state's forces against the Naxalites came in news on 8 January 2016.
72. The term River Information System (RIS) was in news in the first week of January 2016 as the Union Ministry of Shipping is set to launch the system for Inland Waterways in the country.
73. Gujarat Chief Minister Anandiben Patel inaugurated the 28th edition of International Kite Festival at Sabarmati River front in Ahmedabad, Gujarat.
74. The Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi approved the New Crop Insurance Scheme, ‘Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana’ to boost the agricultural sector. Farmers will pay a uniform premium of only 2 percent for all Kharif crops and 1.5% for all Rabi crops. In case of annual commercial and horticultural crops, farmers will pay a premium of only 5 percent.
75. The Union Government and World Bank signed the Financing Agreement for World Bank (IDA) assistance of 250 million US dollars for Bihar Kosi Basin Development Project.
76. The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs gave its approval for setting up over 5000 MW of GridConnected Solar PV Power Projects on build, own and operate basis. The work will be implemented by Solar Power Developers (SPDs) with Viability Gap Funding (VGF) under Batch-lV of Phase-ll of the Jawaharlal Nehru National Solar Mission (JNNSM).
77. The Union Cabinet approved amendments in Power Tariff Policy to ensure 24X7 affordable power for all. The amendments aim at promoting clean energy, better regulation of discoms and faster rollout of investments.
78. The Union Government decided to rollout a LPG-like direct benefit transfer (DBT) scheme for kerosene. The scheme will be started from 1 April 2016.
79. Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched Start-up India initiative to augment startup ecosystem in the country. Prime Minister also unveiled Start-up India, Stand-up India Action Plan. A separate fund will be created with 10000 crore rupees corpus for development and growth of innovation driven enterprises. It will be 2500 crore rupees a year for four years. Profits of Start-up units will be made taxfree for 3 years and there will be a moratorium on labour inspections for the first 3 years of operations. Capital gains tax to be exempted for venture capital investments. New scheme will be launched to provide Intellectual Property Rights protection to start-ups and new firms. A new mobile app to enable start-ups to register themselves within a day and a portal to apply for clearances online will be operation from 1 April 2016.
80. The Coast Guards of India and Japan conducted their 15th joint exercise off the coast of Chennai.
81. DRDO successfully test-fired Nag anti-tank missile at the Mahajan Field Firing Range in Rajasthan. The test was conducted during a night trial to validate the enhanced 4-km range capability of Imaging-Infrared seeker, which guides the missile to the target after its launch.
82. DRDO successfully test fired the new PenetrationCum Blast (PCB) and Thermobaric (TB) Ammunition tank at Chandipur, Odisha. This was specially designed for Arjun Main Battle Tank (MBT).
83. India and France started their eight-day counterterrorism and counter-insurgency joint exercise Shakti-2016 in Rajasthan.
84. Long Range Surface-to-Air Missile (LRSAM), the missile co-developed by India and Israel, was successfully test-fired on 30 December 2015 on the Western Sea Board.
85. Indigenously developed Beyond Visual Range (BVR) air-to-air missile, Astra, was successfully test fired. The test was conducted by the Indian Air Force off the coast of Odisha near the Integrated Test Range (ITR), Balasore.
86. Amament Research and Development Establishment successfully test-fired Pinaka II multi barrel rocket launcher System.
87. The Prime Minister Narendra Modi released a book titled The Z Factor: My Journey as the Wrong Man at the Right Time in New Delhi. The book is the autobiography of the promoter of Essel/ Zee Group Subhash Chandra.
88. The book titled Jawaharlal Nehru and The Indian Polity in Perspective was released by the Vice President of India Hamid Ansari at Thiruvananthapuram in Kerala.
89. Prime Minister Narendra Modi released a book titled “MARU BHARAT SARU BHARAT “(My India Noble India) written by Jain Acharya Ratnasundersuriswarji Maharaj.
90. The book Go Set a Watchman written by Harper Lee was in news as it topped the 2015 US bestseller list.
91. President Pranab Mukherjee promulgated the Enemy Property (Amendment and Validation) Ordinance, 2016 to make amendments to the Enemy Property Act, 1968.
92. Several heavily armed terrorists belonging to Jaish-eMohammed, an Islamist militant group, on 2 January 2016 attacked Pathankot Air Force Station, part of the Western Air Command of the Indian Air Force (IAF).
93. Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) has decided to deploy about 300 women commandos for undertaking anti-Naxal operations in select Leftwing Extremism-affected states.
94. The world's largest blue star sapphire that weighs 1404.49 carats was discovered in a mine in Sri Lanka.
95. The French soldiers will march down the Rajpath on Republic Day along with Indian troops in the presence of President Francois Hollande. Hollande is the Chief Guest for 26 January 2016 celebrations. This is the first time that a foreign army will participate in the 26th January Parade, since 1950.
96. The Union Government merged the Ministry of Overseas Indian Affairs with the Ministry of External Affairs.
97. The Union Government allowed the conduct of the traditional bull-taming sports, Jallikattu, in Tamil Nadu.
98. Union Government launched the Phase-I of the River Information System of India in New Delhi. The Phase-I of the RIS was launched on the SagarFarakka stretch of National Waterway-1 on River Ganges to facilitate safe and accurate navigation.
99. Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh approved the 33 percent posts at constable level to be filled up by women.100.The Union Government granted Infrastructure Status to the Shipyard Industry in a bid to ease its financial stress.
January 2016 Current Affairs - Competitive Exams - GK Power Capsule January 2016 Reviewed by Job today on 08:04 Rating: