1. In 6th Bi-Monthly Monetary Policy RBI left the key repo rate unchanged at 6.75%. Reserve Bank kept its growth projections for Indian economy unchanged at 7.4 per cent for the current fiscal, a tad higher than 7.3 per cent forecast by the World Bank. Normal monsoon and subdued oil prices are expected to bring down retail inflation to around 5 per cent by the end of next fiscal.
a. Bank Rate – 7.75 % (Unchanged)
b. Cash Reserve Ratio – 4 % (Unchanged)
c. Statutory Liquidity Ratio – 21.5 % (Unchanged)
d. Repo Rate – 6.75 % (Unchanged)
e. Reverse Repo Rate – 5.75 % (Unchanged)
f. Marginal Standing Rate – 7.75 % (Unchanged)
2. The Finance Minister of West Bengal Amit Mitra was named the chairman of the Empowered Committee of State Finance Ministers on Goods and Services Tax (GST). Mitra will succeed Kerala Finance Minister K M Mani who had to resign in November 2015 over corruption charges.
3. The Governing Council of TERI appointed Ashok Chawla, former Finance Secretary to the Government of India and former Chairman of the Competition Commission, as its new Chairman.
4. U.K. Sinha will remain Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) Chairman till March 1, 2017 with the government extending his term by over a year.
5. Director General (prisons) Alok Kumar Verma will replace B.S. Bassi as the Delhi Police Commissioner on March 1, a top Home Ministry official told.
6. The Executive Board of the International Monetary Fund (IMF) on 19 February 2016 selected Christine Lagarde to serve as IMF Managing Director for a second five-year term starting on 5 July 2016.
7. Former Director General of The Energy and Resources Institute (TERI) Rajendra Kumar Pachauri was appointed as the Executive ViceChairman of the organisation with the immediate effect.
8. Reliance Industries chairman and managing director (CMD) Mukesh Ambani and Sam Pitroda were elected to be members of the National Academy of Engineering (NAE). It is a non-profit organisation based in the United States of America.
9. Army Lieutenant General John Nicholson was appointed as the commander of the NATO forces in Afghanistan.
10. Former chief secretary of Gujarat DJ Pandian was appointed vice-president and chief investment officer of the newly-created Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB).
11. The Union Government appointed Jai Kumar Garg as Managing Director (MD) and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Corporation Bank for a period of three years.
12. Tamil Nadu Cadre IPS officer Archana Ramasundram was appointed as the Director General of the Sashastra Seema Bal (SSB) that guards India's frontiers with Nepal and Bhutan.
13. Senior IFS officer Muktesh Kumar Pardeshi was appointed as India’s Ambassador to Mexico.
14. Kamlesh Kumar Pandey was appointed as the Chief Commissioner for Persons with Disabilities (CCPD) for a period of three years.
15. Gurdeep Singh was appointed as the Chairman and Managing Director (CMD) of NTPC Ltd.
16. India’s new Permanent Representative to the United Nations Syed Akbaruddin presented his credentials to U.N Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon.
17. Fashion designer Manish Arora was awarded with the Chevalier de la Legion d’Honneur (Knight of the Legion of Honour), France's highest civilian honour.
18. Indo-British filmmaker Asif Kapadia won Grammy Award for Best Music Film for his documentary Amy.
19. Nagaland is changing, But..., a film on conservation efforts by villagers, won the Golden Beaver Best Film Award in the institutional category at the 6th National Science Film Festival and Competition in Mumbai.
20. Karnataka’s Mobile One project won 2016 Best mGovernment Service Award at the 4th World Government Summit in Dubai, the UAE.
21. Manipuri documentary film Phum-Shang bagged the prestigious Golden Conch Award for the best documentary film at the 14th Mumbai International Film Festival for Documentary, Animation and Short Films (MIFF 2016).
22. Sarangi maestro Pandit Ram Narayan was selected for the prestigious Bharat Ratna Pandit Bhimsen Joshi Classical Music Award for 2015-2016.
23. Amitabh Harivansh Bachchan was presented with the lifetime achievement award in New Delhi. He received the honour at NDTV Indian of the Year Awards for his contribution to the film industry.
24. Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar was selected for the prestigious K Veeramani Award for Social Justice 2015.
25. Nisid Hajari won the 2016 William E. Colby Award for his book, Midnight’s Furies: The Deadly Legacy of India’s Partition.
26. Veteran wildlife filmmaker Naresh Bedi was honoured with the V Shantaram Lifetime Achievement Award at the 14th edition of the Mumbai International Festival for Documentary, Short and Animation Films (MIFF 2016).
27. Chennupati Jagadish and Jay Chandra, Indianorigin persons, were honoured with the Order of Australia, highest civilian honour of Australia on the occasion of the Australia Day.
28. Indian lawyer and human rights defender Henri Tiphagne was selected for the 8th Human Rights Award by Amnesty International Germany.
29. Australian batsman David Warner defeated captain Steve Smith for the prestigious Allan Border Medal for 2016.
30. Veteran Bollywood actress Rekha was honoured with the third Yash Chopra Memorial Award in Mumbai.
31. President Pranab Mukherjee, awarded India’s highest peacetime gallantry award Ashoka Chakra, posthumously to Lance Naik Mohan Nath Goswami.
32. A Kerala dentist Sajeev Koshy settled in Melbourne on 26 January 2016 was honoured with the highest civilian honour, the Order of Australia.
33. Prime Minister Narendra Modi presented the National Bravery Awards to 25 children.
34. Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis presented the National Awards for e-Governance for the year 2015-16 in Nagpur.
35. Person of Indian Origin Rahul Thakkar was named as one of winners of the Scientific and Technical Awards given by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, famously called Oscar Awards.
36. Bollywood lyricist Sameer Anjaan was officially recognised by Guinness World Records as the Most prolific Bollywood lyricist ever who has composed 3524 different songs as of 15 December 2015.
37. Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan on 12 February 2016 concluded his 3-day visit to India. He is also the deputy supreme commander of UAE armed forces. He visited India on invitation of Narendra Modi who became the first Prime Minister to visit the UAE after a gap of 34 years in August 2015.
38. Vice-President Hamid Ansari concluded his twonation tour to Thailand and Brunei.
39. French President Francois Hollande visited India from 24 January to 26 January 2016. He was on a three-day visit to India as the Chief Guest at India's 67th Republic Day celebrations.
40. Harper Lee, the author of To Kill a Mockingbird, passed away on 19 February 2016 in Monroeville, Alabama, U.S. She was 89.
41. Veteran Hindustani classical singer Ustad Abdul Rashid Khan died in Kolkata on 18 February 2016. He was 107.
42. The former United Nations Secretary-General Boutros Boutros-Ghali passed away on 16 February 2016 in Cairo, Egypt. He was 93.
43. Malayalam's most celebrated contemporary poet and Jnanpith-winner Ottaplakkal Neelakandan Velu Kurup passed away.
44. Leslie Bassett, a Pulitzer Prize-winning composer, passed away in Oakwood, Georgia.
45. Acclaimed film director Aurobindo Mukherjee passed away in Kolkata, West Bengal.
46. Nepal’s former Prime Minister Sushil Koirala passed away in Kathmandu, Nepal due to chronic respiratory problem.
47. Noted Urdu Poet and well known Bollywood lyricist Nida Fazli died due to heart attack.
48. Cartoonist Sudhir Tailang died.
49. Former Lok Sabha Speaker Balram Jakhar passed away. Jakhar was elected as the Lok Sabha Speaker for two consecutive terms from 1980 to 1989. He served as the Union Agriculture Minister in 1991 in P. V. Narasimha Rao Ministry.
50. S.S. Tarapore, former Deputy Governor of the Reserve Bank of India, passed away in Mumbai.
51. Former Army Chief General Kotikalapudi Venkata Krishna Rao passed away in New Delhi following a cardiac arrest.
52. Marvin Minsky, the pioneer of artificial intelligence, died.
53. Eminent Tabla player Pandit Shankar Ghosh passed away in Kolkata following a prolonged illness.
54. Legendary dancer and Padma Bhushan recipient Mrinalini Sarabhai passed away in Ahmedabad.
55. India ranked 37 out of the 38 economies surveyed in the 2016 Intellectual Property Index (IPI). The index was released by the Global Intellectual Property Centre (GIPC) of the United States Chamber of Commerce (USCC).
56. Securities and Exchange Board of India released the first report of the Alternative Investment Policy Advisory Committee for comments from the stakeholders. The 21-member committee was constituted by the SEBI in March 2015 under the chairmanship of N R Narayan Murthy, co-founder of Infosys, to suggest measures for development of the alternative investment funds and startup ecosystem in the country.
57. The 3-day long annual World Government Summit concluded in Dubai, the UAE.
58. The two-day long 19th National e-governance Conference with the title Transforming India was concluded in Nagpur, Maharashtra.
59. The Operation Rahaat came in news in second week of February 2016 after the Royal Navy of United Kingdom (UK) presented its desire to officially study India’s humanitarian rescue operation in Yemen.
60. Surajkund International Crafts Mela began at Surajkund in Faridabad, Haryana on 1 February 2016.
61. Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated Make in India Week in Bandra Kurla Complex, Mumbai. The week was launched with the theme design, innovation and sustainability in order to showcase India's manufacturing sector potential in the coming decade.
62. National Arogya Fair concluded successfully on 8 February 2016 at Dehradun in Uttarakhand.
63. External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj inaugurated the Rise of Digital India Exhibition in Colombo. The exhibition was a part of Sangam - The Festival of India in Sri Lanka 2015-16.
64. Prime Minister Narendra Modi along with the President of France François Hollande, laid the foundation stone of the International Solar Alliance headquarters in National Institute of Solar Energy in Gwalpahari, Gurgaon.
65. Union Cabinet approved Trade Facilitation Agreement (TFA) of the World Trade Organization (WTO).
66. North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) and the European Union (EU) on 10 February 2016 signed an agreement to improve cooperation in cyber defense.
67. India submitted its Instrument of Ratification of the Convention of Supplementary Compensation for Nuclear Damage (CSC), 1997 to International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) at Vienna, Austria. The instrument is an important multilateral treaty relating to liability and compensation for damage caused by a nuclear incident.
68. India and Brunei signed 3 Memorandums of Understanding (MoUs) to deepen bilateral cooperation.
69. India and Afghanistan inked a pact for visa-free travel by their diplomats.
70. India and Armenia signed a protocol to amend the India-Armenia Double Taxation Avoidance Convention.
71. India and France inked 16 agreements at the IndiaFrance Business Summit in Chandigarh.
72. Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched the guidelines for operationalization of the Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana at a farmers’ convention in Sherpur village of Madhya Pradesh. The Yojna will come into force from the 2016 Kharif season (from June to October in India). It aims at boosting the agricultural sector of India and envisages a uniform premium of only 2 percent to be paid by farmers for Kharif crops, and 1.5 percent for Rabi crops. The premium for annual commercial and horticultural crops will be 5 percent.
73. Prime Minister Modi also presented a trophy of Krishi Karman Award to Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan.
74. Under the Swachh Survekshan 2016, 73 cities were surveyed for cleanliness and categorized based on the marks scored by each of them. Out of the 73 cities, while Mysuru in Karnataka was adjudged as the cleanest city, Dhanbad in Jharkand was adjudged as the least clean city.
75. Union Health and Family Welfare Minister Jagat Prakash Nadda released the National Framework for Malaria Elimination (NFME) 2016-2030 at New Delhi.
76. Union government launched the 24x7 Toll Free Tourist Infoline in 12 International Languages including Hindi and English in New Delhi.
77. Union Government launched Sahaj Scheme for online booking of LPG cylinders.
78. India successfully test fired its indigenously developed Prithvi-II missile from the Chandipur, off Odisha coast. As part of a user trial, the missile with a strike range of 350 km, test was carried out from a mobile launcher from launch complex-3 of the Integrated Test Range (ITR).
79. LAMITYE 2016, the 7th joint military training exercise between the Indian Army and the Seychelles People’s Defence Forces (SPDF) began.
80. The 9th Indo-Nepal Combined Battalion level Military Training Exercise Surya Kiran commenced at Pithoragarh, Uttarakhand.
81. International Fleet Review 2016 of the Indian Navy was concluded along the coast of Visakhapatnam in Andhra Pradesh.
82. India and China held first joint tactical military exercise Sino-India 2016. The one-day long exercise was held in Chusul-Moldo area that is located along the Line of Actual Control (LoAC) in the Ladakh region of Jammu and Kashmir.
83. India test fired its indigenously-built surface-to-air Akash missile from complex-3 of the Integrated Test Range (ITR).at Chandipuri in Odisha.
84. Indian Navy and Myanmar Navy signed Standard Operating Procedure for India-Myanmar Coordinated Patrol (IMCOR) at the Tri-Service Headquarters in Port Blair, Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
85. A fiction book titled A Kingdom For His Love was launched in February 2016 by Amar Chitra Katha (ACK).
86. The book titled Nathuram Godse - The Story of an Assassin authored by Anup Ashok Sardesai was released.
87. The second volume of memoirs of President Pranab Mukherjee titled The Turbulent Years – 1980-1996 was released.
88. The Prime Minister Narendra Modi released a book titled The Z Factor: My Journey as the Wrong Man at the Right Time in New Delhi. The book is the autobiography of the promoter of Essel/ Zee Group Subhash Chandra.
89. The Minister of State (MoS) for Railways Manoj Sinha released a book titled Objective Railway Engineering-Track, Works & Others in New Delhi.
90. The place Sonadia Island was in news because, as per newspaper reports, Bangladesh cancelled China’s proposal to develop a deep sea port on the island that lies in the Bay of Bengal.
91. Ministry of Culture released a commemorative coin of 150 rupees and a circulation coin of 10 rupees on Lala Lajpat Rai.
92. The United Nations Postal Administration unveiled a set of six commemorative stamps to promote UN Free & Equal, a global United Nations campaign for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) equality.
93. The Union Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment Thaawarchand Gehlot launched the National level Job portal www.disabilityjobs.gov.in for Persons with Disabilities (PwDs).
94. The Union Ministry of Housing and Urban Poverty Alleviation sanctioned construction of around eighty two thousand houses for Economically Weaker Sections (EWS) in urban areas of 163 cities.
95. The Union Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare decided to set up the National Organic Farming Research Institute in Sikkim.
96. Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the Paradip Oil Refinery in Odisha. It is Indian Oil Corporation Limited’s 11th refinery.
97. United States President Barack Obama signed off a new law imposing new sanctions against North Korea.
98. Zika virus is transmitted through an Aedes mosquito, which also causes dengue and chikungunya. The World Bank Group announced 150 million US dollars in funding to combat Zika virus in Latin America and the Caribbean.
99. North Korea launched the Kwangmyongsong-4 satellite.
100. Subscribers to employees’ provident fund will get a return of 8.8% for the current financial year, marginally higher than in the past two years, when the interest rate was 8.75%.
101.Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu said that in one year at-least 100 railway stations across the country will have Google wi-fi.
102.Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar hoisted the largest tricolour in the country atop the tallest pole at Pahari Mandir in Ranchi. The flag measures 66 feet in height and 99 feet in width.
103.Former State Election Commissioner Prabhakar Timble launched a new regional party, Goa Forward.
104.International Monetary Fund increased India’s voting rights to 2.6 per cent from the current 2.3 per cent, and China’s, to six per cent from 3.8, as per the new division.
105. Sonam Kapoor-starrer Neerja based on real incidents during the hijacking of the Pan Am Flight 73 at the Karachi airport in 1986, has been banned in Pakistan allegedly for showing the country in a poor light.
106.Following protests by students and activist organisations, Rajendra Kumar Pachauri, executive vice-chairman and former Director-General of The Energy and Resources Institute (TERI), was asked to go on “leave” from all posts at the organisation.
107.Maharashtra government has roped in actor Aamir Khan to promote its flagship schemes in the sector of water and scarcity. The actor is likely to be associated with the government’s ‘Jalyukt Shivar Abhiyan’, Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis’ flagship scheme, to make Maharashtra a droughtfree State by 2019.
108.The National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI), the umbrella organisation for all retail payment systems in India, has launched a hackathon in partnership with software industry body Indian Software Product Industry Round Table (iSPIRT). The UPI (Unified Payment Interface) Hackathon has been launched for developers to come up with innovative digital payment products. In April, the NPCI will roll out UPI, its new payment system, for businesses to collect money from individuals instantly through mobile devices. The NPCI has partnered with 29 banks to facilitate payments through UPI. The new payment interface also adheres to the two-factor authentication guideline provided by the Reserve Bank of India (RBI). A customer using UPI will be able to make payments by providing just a single identification like his Aadhaar number or a virtual address.
109.Credit Information Bureau India limited in a bid to widen its avenues of collecting details of customer behaviour, especially on payments, is working on the concept of securing data related to telecom and utility services payments, for the purpose of evaluating first-time borrowers. Cibil is also planning to roll out a separate vertical for providing services exclusively to micro finance institutions (MFIs) by next quarter.
110.Reserve Bank Governor Raghuram Rajan has joined a task force of the World Economic Forum (WEF) to study the future of global financial system, whose members include bankers and policymakers from across the world.
111.Disappointing results from State Bank of India, amid global weakness, dragged the BSE Sensex to its lowest close on 11 February in 21 months. The benchmark index posted its biggest single-day fall since August 24, 2015, slumping 807.07 points, or 3.40 per cent, to 22,951.83 at the close.
112.Reserve Bank of India signed a pact with the Central Bank of the UAE to enter into a Currency Swap Agreement, which is aimed at strengthening economic ties with the Gulf nation.
113.The Supreme Court directed the RBI to provide a list of companies, which had defaulted bank loans of over Rs. 500 crore while expressing serious concern over the rise in bad loans.
114.India’s economic growth is seen at 7.6% for the current fiscal, the highest since the current methodology was adopted to compute national income and compared with 7.2% a year before, according to the advance estimate released by the Central Statistics Office, although gross domestic product (GDP) expanded at a slower pace of 7.3% in the October-December period against a revised 7.7% in the previous quarter.
115.Wholesale price inflation fell for 15th straight month in January and touched -0.9 per cent as food articles, mainly vegetables and pulses, turned cheaper.
116.Interest rates on most of the small savings schemes will be reset with effect from April 1. The move could result in reduction in the rates between 50 and 100 basis points on small savings schemes However, the interest rates on social security schemes – Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana, Senior Citizen Savings Scheme and Monthly Income Scheme – would be left untouched.
117.Retail inflation rose to a 17-month high of 5.69% in January on dearer food items, rising for the sixth month.
118.The government has received subscription for 2,790 kg gold amounting to Rs 726 crore under the second tranche of sovereign gold bond scheme
119.The government said it had netted a hefty 900 kg of idle household and temple gold under the monetisation scheme and is hopeful that the number would rise further in future. “Gold Monetisation Scheme: More than 900 kgs gold mobilised so far.
120.Housing and Urban Development Corporation (HUDCO) is issuing tax-free bonds with a face value of Rs.1,000 each in the nature of tax-free, secured, redeemable, non-convertible debentures.
121.Ahead of the Union Budget, the Modi government increased the excise duty on petrol by Re. 1 a litre and Rs. 1.50 on diesel, the third increase this month.
122.Government said it has created a Tax Policy Research Unit (TPRU) and Tax Policy Council to be chaired by the Union Finance Minister with nine other members including Minister of State for Finance, Niti Aayog Vice Chairman, Commerce and Industry Minister Revenue Secretary and the Chief Economic Advisor. Finance secretary, Commerce Secretary and Industry Secretary will also be its members. The Council will be advisory in nature, which will help the Government in identifying key policy decisions for taxation.
123.The government has imposed a minimum import price (MIP) ranging from $341 to $752 per tonne on 173 steel products to provide relief to local steel makers hurt by an increase in cheap imports of these items.
124.The country’s jewellers have decided to go on a day’s strike on February 10, 2016, in protest against the government decision on furnishing PAN card details for purchase of the yellow metal costing Rs. two lakh and above.
125.Merchandise exports fell for the 14th consecutive month with shipments in January, 2016 contracting 13.6 per cent year-on-year to $21 billion due to weak overseas demand as well as fall in major export items such as engineering goods and petroleum products.
126.Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the Rs 10,000 crore gas cracker project at Lepetkata in Upper Assam’s Dibrugarh district.
127.Budget session of parliament will commence on February 23. The Rail Budget will be presented on February 25, the pre-budget economic survey on February 26 and the General budget on February 29.
128. Submission of Aadhar card, PAN and voter identity card will speed up the process of issuance of passport to an applicant. In this new scheme passport applicant will get a passport within three days.
129.Union Cabinet allowed the Indian Railways to form Joint Venture companies with state governments to mobilize resources for speedy implementation of rail projects. The Cabinet decided that the Joint Venture companies would be formed with equity participation of Ministry of Railways and concerned state governments. Each Joint Venture (JV) would have an initial paid-up capital of Rs 100 crores based on the quantum of projects to be undertaken.
130.The week-long Make in India even has secured investment commitments worth Rs 15.2 lakh crore.
131.All wage payments to MGNREGA workers will be made through Direct Benefit Transfer to bank accounts of the beneficiaries from April this year.
132.The government unveiled names of the first 20 smart cities that will get Rs 50,802 crore over five years to turn them into ‘Smart Cities’.
133.Three Indians – Mukesh Ambani, Azim Premji and Dilip Shanghvi – have made it to a global list of 50 wealthiest people that is topped by Bill Gates. According to a new list by Wealth-X in collaboration with Business Insider, Mukesh Ambani was ranked at the 27th place on the list with a net worth of $24.8 billion, while Azim Premji and Dilip Shanghvi were ranked at the 43rd and 44th place with assets worth $16.5 billion and $16.4 billion respectively.
134.The Indian Railways entered into two separate agreements with Kerala and Andhra Pradesh for the formation of joint venture companies (JVCs) with state governments.
135.Indian Space Research Organisation launched IRNSS-1E, the fifth of the seven-satellite Indian Regional Navigation Satellite System (IRNSS) into space. ISRO’s workhorse PSLV C-31 rocket lifted the 1,425 kg satellite from the second launchpad of the Satish Dhawan Space Centre and placed it in the intended orbit.
136.Consumer Affairs and Food Minister Ram Vilas Paswan said that by April the National Food Security Act (NFSA) was likely to cover all States and Union Territories.
137.Backing Net neutrality, telecom watchdog Trai barred operators from charging different rates for Internet access based on content, dealing a blow to Facebook’s controversial Free Basics and other such plans. Companies violating the rules will be fined Rs 50,000 per day for the duration of contravention, subject to a maximum of Rs 50 lakh. However, services providers have been allowed to reduce tariff for access of providing emergency services.
138.The Ministry of Railways has identified 15 key parameters on which the 400 railway stations will be redeveloped with “world-class” facilities.
139.A Parliamentary panel will undertake field visits to sites where industrial corridors are to be established and prepare a report in a bid expedite the projects.
140.Prime Minister Narendra Modi released the first set of 100 declassified files pertaining to Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose at the National Archives of India in the presence of members of the Bose family. 141.Public sector oil firms IOC, BPCL, HPCL and EIL will invest Rs.1.50 lakh crore in setting up India’s biggest refinery on the west coast.
142.The Human Resource Development Ministry appointed Ashok K. Roopanwal, a former judge of the Allahabad High Court, as the one-man commission of inquiry into the circumstances that led to the January 17 suicide of Hyderabad University research scholar Rohit Vemula.
143.A controversial anti-terror Bill, passed by the Gujarat Assembly but twice rejected by the UPA government, was returned by President Pranab Mukherjee, seeking additional information after which the legislation was withdrawn.
144.The Supreme Court referred a batch of curative petitions against Section 377 of the Indian Penal Code, a colonial-era provision criminalising consensual sexual acts of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT) adults in private, to a five-judge Constitution Bench for a possible backto-roots, in-depth hearing.
145.Indian Medical Association (IMA) came out in support of Union Minister Maneka Gandhi’s suggestion to make pre-natal sex determination compulsory to check female foeticide.
146.Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar ruled out any troop withdrawal from the Siachen glacier after the last week’s avalanche claimed the lives of 10 soldiers.
147.Chief Election Commissioner (CEC) Nasim Zaidi stated that elections in all poll-bound States, including Tamil Nadu and Puducherry, would be completed before May 31.
148.The odd-even scheme will return to the city for another 15 days starting from April 15, Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal announced. As in the first phase in January, women, two-wheelers riders and VVIPs will be exempted from the scheme, Mr. Kejriwal said.
149.At 7.4 per cent, Kerala has the highest rate of unemployment among the major States in the country, says the Economic Review. It puts Kerala’s unemployment rate at three times the national level (2.3 per cent).
150.The Supreme Court agreed with a lower court decision that the State can use its curfew powers to block Internet access on personal mobile phones if there is apprehension that a public agitation can turn aggressive and disturb public tranquillity.
151.Delhi court remanded Jawaharlal Nehru University Students Union president Kanhaiya Kumar in three-day police custody. He was arrested on the charge of sedition, after “anti-India” slogans were allegedly raised at the university during a recent protest meeting in memory of Afzal Guru, hanged in 2013.
152.Vice-Chancellors of 42 Central universities agreed to fly the national flag on their buildings to counter the rising tide of what they perceived as antinationalism sweeping the campuses.
153.The US Federal Reserve kept interest rates unchanged and said it was “closely monitoring” global economic and financial developments, signaling it had accounted for a stock market selloff but wasn’t ready to abandon a plan to tighten monetary policy this year.
154.India gifted 40 ambulances and eight buses to different organisations in Nepal on the occasion of its 67th Republic Day.
155.India and France exchanged 13 agreements, cutting across wide variety of sectors. One of the most sought Memorandum of Understanding was signed between India and France on purchase of 36 Rafale aircrafts.
156. Social networking giant Facebook pulled the plug on its controversy-ridden ‘Free Basics’ programme in India, days after telecom regulator TRAI barred operators from charging discriminatory rates for Internet access based on content.
157.The Ministry of Railways and the Ministry of Enterprise and Innovation of the Kingdom of Sweden on 15 February 2016 inked a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) on technical cooperation in rail sector.
158.The UAE's national oil company Abu Dhabi National Oil Company (ADNOC) agreed to store crude oil in India's maiden strategic petroleum storage.
159.The President of United States Barack Obama unveiled a Cyber Security National Action Plan.
160. Supporting Syria and the Region Conference 2016 was held in London.
161.The first train connecting Iran and China packed with Chinese goods arrived in Tehran on 15 February 2016. The arrival revived the ancient Silk Road trade route and also highlighted the economic possibilities for Iran since the lifting of international sanctions. The train, also referred to as Silk Road train, passed through Kazakhstan and Turkmenistan to Iran, travelling a distance of 10399 kilometres.
162.Pakistan’s nuclear warheads which are estimated to be between 110-130 are aimed at deterring India from taking military action against it, a latest Congressional report has said.
163.India and France are carrying out Shakti 2016 in Rajasthan which reflects our common interests.
164.French President Francois Hollande committed €300 million (around $325 million or Rs. 2,200 crore) over the next five years for the global development of solar energy.
165.According to Transparency International’s International Corruption Perceptions Index 2015, India is placed at 76th position along with Thailand, Brazil, Tunisia, Zambia and Burkina Faso out of 168 countries. The other top spots, from second to ninth, were occupied by Finland, Sweden, New Zealand, the Netherlands, Norway, Switzerland, Singapore and Canada.
166.India and the Asian Development Bank (ADB) signed an $80 million loan agreement for improving the infrastructure in the two NorthEastern cities of Agartala and Aizawl.
167.After Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s announcement in December that all Japanese citizens would get “visas on arrival”, the government has decided to extend it only to the business community for now.
168.The Obama administration has proposed $860 million in aid for Pakistan.
169.India was ranked 37 out of 38 countries, with only Venezuela scoring lower, in the U.S. Chamber of Commerce-International Intellectual Property Index.
170.Angered by a U.S. decision to sell eight more F-16 fighter jets to Pakistan, India summoned U.S. Ambassador Richard Varma to the External Affairs Ministry to express “displeasure” with the deal. 171.Top global producers Saudi Arabia and Russia agreed to freeze oil output in a bid to shore up prices after a 70 per cent drop due to chronic oversupply.
172.North Korean leader Kim Jong-un recently ordered preparations for launching attacks on South Korea, the South’s spy agency disclosed.
173.Prime Minister Narendra Modi will travel to Brussels for the EU-India summit on March 30.
174.U.S. President Barack Obama signed into law a piece of legislation passed by Congress imposing new sanctions against North Korea for testing a nuclear device on January 6 and launching a satellite on February 7 using ballistic missile technology.
175. Madhya Pradesh and Rajasthan Government have set up Special Purpose Vehicles (SPV) for the implementation of Smart City Plans.
176. Himachal Pradesh Cricket Association (HPCA) has launched ‘Swachh Himachal – Padhai bhi, Safai bhi’ campaign in Dharamsala. With this unique campaign, HPCA became the first cricket association in the country to work towards Swatch Bharat Abhiyan initiated by the Union Government.
177. The three-day long Vibrant North East event concluded in Guwahati, Assam. It was inaugurated on 18 February 2016 by Union Minister Food Processing Industries Harsimrat Kaur.
178. Faustin Archange Touadera has won the 2016 Presidential election of Central African Republic (CAR) held on 14 February 2016. He defeated Georges Anicet Dologuele of Union for Central African Renewal Party who had obtained just over or 37.3 percent or 413,000 votes.
179. The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) has successfully conducted hotbed test of the indigenously developed high-thrust cryogenic engine (CE20) of the GSLV Mark 3 (LVM3) rocket for the upper stage.
180. Scientists have discovered five new Jupiter-like planets that are similar in characteristics to our solar system’s biggest planet. The newly discovered planets were designated as WASP-119 b, WASP-124 b, WASP-126 b, WASP-129 b and WASP-133 b. They orbit very close to their host stars and hot compared to Jupiter.
181. Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched the ambitious ‘Rurban Mission' for developing 300 villages across the country as urban growth centres aimed at improving the country’s basic infrastructure, at Dongargarh in Chhattisgarh. The Shyama Prasad Mukherji Rurban (rural-urban) project will focus on improving infrastructural facilities such as power lines, shelters, roads, drinking water connections and drainage, and creating community assets such as schools, colleges and health centers.
182. The 42nd Khajuraho Dance Festival began in the temple town of Khajuraho, Chhattarpur district in Madhya Pradesh. The world famous dance festival began with Odissi group dance of Ranjna Gauher and others.
183. The Union Minister for Science & Technology and Earth Sciences and Vice President, CSIR Dr. Harsh Vardhan dedicated Systems for Detection of Adulteration and analysis of Milk. The ‘Ksheer Scanner’ system offers automated scanning of raw milk samples at milk collection points. He remarked that it is safe to use and ideal for installation at milk collection centres of milk societies at village and tehsil levels. The system can also be useful for onthe-spot milk testing by food inspectors.
184. India and Armenia have signed an agreement for cooperation in the agriculture sector. An memorandum of understanding (MoU) was signed by Agriculture Minister Radha Mohan Singhand Armenian Agriculture Minister Sergo Karapetyan.
185. Printing and IT solutions firm Ricoh India has bagged an order worth Rs 344 crore from Kerala State Electronics Development Corporation to supply computer hardware to 2,000 government schools in Odisha. Ricoh India, a subsidiary of Ricoh Group, Japan, had said it is eyeing 55% growth in revenues this fiscal.
186. The Public Investment Board has approved the Rs 800-crore proposal from India Post for setting up a payments bank and it will be placed before the Cabinet within a month for final approval.
187. Italian author Umberto Eco has died aged 84. Umberto Eco a philosopher who wrote best-selling novels including "The Name of the Rose".
188. North Korean state media has confirmed the country has a new military chief, following earlier reports in Seoul that the former holder of the post had been executed. Ri Myong-Su, former People's Security Minister, was referred to as "chief of the Korean People's Army General Staff" when the Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) reported on an army exercise guided by leader Kim Jong-un.
189. Brendon McCullum has blasted the fastest century in Test history in his 101st and final match for New Zealand before retiring. Brendon McCullum has , a 54-ball effort that broke the record jointly held by Viv Richards and Misbah-ul-Haq.
190. The Jaypee Punjab Warriors has won the fourth edition of Coal India Hockey India League (HIL) title 2016. The Jaypee Punjab Warriors finally struck gold to become third-time lucky as they clinched their Hockey India League (HIL) title at the Birsa Munda Hockey Stadium in Ranchi.
191. The Ministry of Tourism in co-ordination with Ministry of Culture has launched the Swachh Paryatan mobile app in order to facilitate general public to communicate their complaints about any unclean area/garbage piles in and around tourist destinations.
192. The Public sector oil major ONGC has approved an investment of Rs 5,050 crore in Tripura for drilling of wells and creation of surface facilities to produce 5.1 mmscmd gas from the states fields.
193. India continues to remain the world’s largest arms importer, accounting for 14% of the global arms imports in the 2011-2015 time frame.
194. Katni in Madhya Pradesh to have India’s longest railway bridge of 14 km in length which is three and half folds longer than the Vembanad rail Bridge that connects Edappally and Vallarpadam of 4.6 Km in length.
195. The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) has successfully tested high-thrust cryogenic engine CE-20 of the GSLV Mark 3 (LVM3) rocket for the upper stage at its Propulsion Research Center in Mahendragiri, Tamil Nadu lasted for 640 seconds and paved the way for the first developmental flight of the GSLV Mark 3 in December 2016.
196. With the aim to strengthen India-UAE economic ties, Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) signed an MoU with Dubai Exports to boost trade and explore business opportunities.
197. Renowned Odissa singer Bhubaneshwari Mishra passed away following a cardiac arrest in New Delhi. She was 67. She was one of the talented artist from Odisha and was renowned as classical and playback singer.
198. Indian Railway Officer Vinay Kumar Singh has been appointed as Managing Director of National Capital Region Transport Corporation (NCRTC).
199. With the climate changes in the recent years, the groundwater sources have gone down to a critical level.
200. The US InterContinental Ballistic Missile Minuteman 3 was launched from Vandenberg Air force Base in California.
201. The National award winning Malayalam film 'Ottal' has been named the best children's film at the 66th Berlin International Film Festival and honored with the Crystal Bear award in the 'Generation KPlus' section.
202. Amar Singh from Indian-origin Sikh Community has been appointed the Police Commissioner of the Capital city of Malaysia.
203. UDAY(Ujwal Discom Assurance Yojana) is a tripartite memorandum between Bihar government, state Discoms and the Power ministry for the revival of debt ridden state distribution utilities to save 9000 crores. Bihar is the sixth state to join this UDAY scheme.
204. Ukraine’s Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk Football Club (FC) has won the 2016 Sait Nagjee International Club Football Tournament in Kozhikode. The goalscorers on the evening were Ihor Kohut (40'), Denys Balanuik (62') and Yuri Vakulko (85').
205. Government will sell its 5 per cent stake in India's largest power producer NTPC at a floor price of Rs 122 per share to raise Rs 5,029 crore.
206. An Indian-origin art lover and playwright Ismail Mahomed from South Africa has been knighted by the French government for his lifelong devotion to the promotion of arts.
207. The fifth edition of IBSAMAR 2016 trilateral naval exercise between Brazil, India and South Africa kicked off in Goa. IBSAMAR is abbreviated as India-Brazil-South Africa Maritime. This is the for the first time the exercise is held in India as all the previous editions were held in South Africa since it began in 2006.
208. Pakistan parliament became the first in the world to completely run on solar power, a venture supported by close ally China with a whopping $55 million funding.
209. Austria’s capital Vienna is the best place in the world to live, according to an international survey on quality of life that has no Indian city in the top 100.
210. Tamil film Kanavu Variyam has won the prestigious 2016 Remi Award in the United States. The film has been directed and produced by a Chennai-based techie Arun Chidambaram and Karthik Chidambaram.
211. Metropolitan Stock Exchange of India (formerly MCX Stock Exchange) has appointed its interim Managing Director & CEO Udai Kumar as MD & CEO after receiving necessary approvals from securities regulator SEBI.
212. World’s first fast-acting anti-rabies drug Rabies Human Monoclonal Antibody (RMAb) will be launched in India. The drug has been developed by Pune-based Serum Institute of India (SII) and USbased MassBiologics of the University of Massachusetts Medical School.
213. In order to enhance economic cooperation and strengthen financial stability, RBI has extended the $2 billion currency swap arrangement to SAARC nations till mid-November 2017. Under the arrangement, RBI is to offer swap arrangement up to an overall amount of $2 billion both in foreign currency and Indian rupee.
214. India's 2nd largest airline Jet Airways India Ltd named Rahul Taneja as its chief people officer, responsible for shaping the operations and performance of the group.
215. The Controller General of Patents, Designs and Trademarks (CGPDT) has issued an order excluding software patents in its revised guidelines for Computer Related Inventions (CRIs).
216. Distinguished scientist KN Vyas has been appointed as Director of Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (BARC) for a term of three years.
217. President Pranab Mukherjee has appointed Justice Vineet Saran as the new Chief Justice (CJ) of Orissa High Court as per the provisions of Article 217 of Constitution.
218. The much awaited Asia Cup 2016 will kick off from Today, where hosts Bangladesh will take on India in the opener at Shere Bangla National Stadium, Mirpur. The 2016 Asia Cup is a Twenty20 International (T20I) cricket tournament to be held from 24 February to 6 March 2016. It will be the 13th edition of the Asia Cup, the fifth to be held in Bangladesh, and the first to be played using the T20I format.
219. Bangladesh limited overs captain Mashrafe Bin Mortaza is set to be named as the United Nations Development Programme’s (UNDP) “national goodwill ambassador for youth”.
220. Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu presented his second rail budget this year. He outlined the 3 pillars of strategy - raise new revenues, raise productivity and efficiency and revamp the processes. Here are the highlights of the Rail Budget 2016: The Capital plan of Rs 1.21 lakh crore. Operating ratio kept at 92% FY17 as against 90% in current year.
221. Cyclone-hit Fiji will receive one million dollars as immediate assistance from the Indian Government. Fiji has been struck by “Cyclone Winston” which brought with it wind gusts of 325 kilometres per hour and sea and ocean waves up to 12 metres high.
222. Union Govt to introduce coal linkage auction policy for power corporation which did not have such coordinations with Coal India Ltd. Anil Swarup, Coal Secretary said that the current surplus stock with Coal India Ltd (CIL) was a temporary phenomenon.
223. State-owned Punjab National Bank (PNB) has declared 904 borrowers who owed it a combined Rs.10,869.71 crore as of December-end as wilful defaulters. The bank added 140 companies to the list of wilful defaulters over the last quarter.
224. India's second largest software exporter Infosys has extended the tenure of chief executive officer & Managing Director Vishal Sikka by another two years till the year 2021.
225. Sikka was earlier appointed as MD & CEO till 2019. Official stating that his initiatives have helped the company to grow towards leadership position. Mr. Sikka was the first non-founder who was appointed as the CEO and Managing Director of the company.
226. Banking giant SBI has taken another leap in this space with the launch of SBI e-Smart SME, a working capital loan offering for sellers on ecommerce platforms.
227. INS Arihant, India’s first nuclear armed submarine is now ready for full-ledged operations. The submarine has passed several deep sea diving drills as well as weapons launch tests over the past five months.
228. The Government has decided to induct women in all military combat roles in the future. The announcement has been made by President Pranab Mukherjee during the joint sitting of the Lok Sabha and the Rajya Sabha.
229. Rajendra Singh appointed as first non-navy officer to head Coast Guard. Rajendra Singh appointed as first non-navy officer to head Coast Guard. This is the 1st time that the force will get a chief from its own internal cadre since it was set up in 1978 as the country's fourth armed force after the Army,
230. The Indian government has planned to set up wi-fi facilities at 25,000 spots in the country by March 2016. At present, the facilities are available at three hundred spots across India.
231. The Afghanistan’s National Women’s Cycling Team has been nominated by a group of Italian MPs for the 2016 Nobel Peace Prize for their dedication.
232. Afghanistan’s National Women’s Cycling Team is among the first Afghan girls to be riding bikes socially.
233. Mastercard is launching new mobile technologies that will allow customers to authenticate their online purchases using selfies or fingerprints. The technology will be rolled out by big banks in the U.S., Canada, the U.K. and some European countries over the next few months.
234. Facebook has announced the Telecom Infra Project, which will look at developing new and alternative technologies to build and deploy telecom infrastructure, with partners including Aricent, HCL Technologies, Intel, Nokia and TMobile.
235. GVK Biosciences has bagged the Global CSR Excellence & Leadership Awards in the category of Best Environment-Friendly Project. The award has been given for its 'Go Green, Grow Green' plantation drive.
236. Australia has replaced India at the top of the world's test rankings in Cricket with a 2-nil test series victory over New Zealand in Christchurch.
237. The Economic Survey is presented by the ministry of Finance in the parliament every year, before the Union Budget.
238. India has approved a $150 million credit line for the development of Iran’s Chabahar port. The port in southeast Iran is central to New Delhi’s efforts to circumvent arch-rival Pakistan and open up a route to landlocked Afghanistan where it has developed close security ties and economic interests.
239. Department of Biotechnology, Ministry of Science and Technology and a consortium of top UK research institutions signed an MoU for establishment of a joint India-UK collaboration programme in crop Science. The aim of the agreement is to enhance collaborative research, promote knowledge exchange, and support capacity building to develop resilience in food security.
240. Retirement fund body EPFO(Employees Provident Fund Organisation) has tightened norms on withdrawal of provident fund as well investment of such amount in Varishtha Pension Bima Yojana for its over five crore subscribers. The Indian Government has appointed three information commissioners in the Central Information Commission (CIC). They are Amitava Bhattacharyya, Indian Administrative Service, (Gujarat 1980). Retired Chairman, Staff Selection Commission,Bimal Julka, IAS (Madhya Pradesh:1979) .
241. Expedia, the online travel company has appointed Jonathon Sinclair Neal as the Chief Executive Officer of AAE Travel. AAE Travels is the joint venture between AirAsia and Expedia Inc.Jonathon will be based out of Singapore. Justice Dinesh Maheshwari has sworn in as the Chief justice of the Meghalaya High Court. He was administered the oath as Chief Justice by state Governor V. Shanmuganathan.
242. Ashwini Nangia has been appointed as the Director of the CSIR-National Chemical Laboratory, Pune. He was born in 1960 and an alumnus of the IIT Kanpur is at present with the School of Chemistry at the UoH.After, his Ph.D. (1988), he worked in NOCIL Agrochemicals R&D Centre, Navi Mumbai for a year, and then joined the University in 1989.
243. The Diageo-controlled United Spirits USL) has announced the appointment of MK Sharma as its new chairman, a day after the embattled liquor baron Vijay Mallya resigned from the post.
244. OYO Rooms has tied up with the Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC)The tieup aims to offer standardised accommodation and a convenient booking platform to rail travellers.
245. Reliance Capital said that it will transfer its all commercial finance division into a separate company to unfold the value through sale of stake post the transfer, Reliance Capital would be apply to the RBI for registering itself as a Core Investment Company (CIC) and this move would also facilitated the application of banking as license and when the apex bank's policy permits.
246. Suresh Prabhu, Minister of Railway has announced Ratan Tata to head the Indian Railway Innovation Committee. In 2016- 2017 he has announced plans to set up a dedicated cross functional team called Special Unit for Transportation Research and Analytics (Sutra). The main aim is to carry out detailed analysis leading to optimized investment decisions and operations.
247. The Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi has given its approval for establishment of Atal Innovation Mission (AIM) and Self Employment and Talent Utilisation (SETU) in NITI Aayog with appropriate manpower.
248. Taxi aggregator Ola has entered into an agreement with the Uttar Pradesh government to create over 50,000 entrepreneurship opportunities across the state. According to the pact, Ola will work with the state government towards skill development of youth in state and provide entrepreneurship opportunities for 50,000 men and women across the state over the next five years.
249. SEBI has given approval to State-owned IDBI Bank market regulator to raise Rs 3,771 crore through issue of shares to qualified institutional playersa (QIP) move which would dilute the government's holding significantly in the lender.
250. Indian largest digital network Times Internet announced strategic partnership with Investopedia.com, one of the web's premier destinations for financial information. In this partnership Investopedia and Times Internet will collaborate to create and curate a blend of local and international content, knowledge events and seminars to grow the brand amongst the audience in India.
251. The Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi has given its approval for introduction of steps for promotion of payments through cards and digital means.
252. Japanese Carmaker Nissan has named Indian cricketer Rohit Sharma as their new global ambassador. Nissan also named West Indies allrounder Andre Russell and New Zealand women's team captain Suzie Bates as its ambassadors.
253. India's top female Long-distance runner Lalita Babar was named as the Sports Person of the Year in the India Sports Awards 2015 in a ceremony organised by the Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI) with the support of the Sports Ministry.
254. Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) is working to establishment of a Satellite Tracking & Data Reception Station and Data Processing Facility for ASEAN Member countries in Vietnam. 255. The Union Government has extended e-Tourist Visa Scheme to 37 more countries. With this, the total count of countries under the scheme will become 150.
256. Former Scientific Adviser to Defence Minister and ex-DRDO chief Dr Avinash Chander on 25 February 2016 received the prestigious Astronautical Society of India's Aryabhata Award 2013.
257. Gianni Infantino was elected as the President of FIFA (Fédération Internationale de Football Association) after winning a second-round vote at Extraordinary FIFA Congress held in Zurich on 26 February 2016.
258. Actor Ranveer Singh was on 26 February 2016 selected for Pandit Dinanath Mangeshkar award. The award will be bestowed upon Ranveer by Lata Mangeshkar at a function to be held in Pune.
259. Mumbai on 26 February 2016 won the Ranji Trophy with an innings and 21 run victory over Saurashtra. It won the trophy for the first time in three seasons.
260. Union Finance Minister Arun Jaitley presents his third Union Budget. To support the small taxpayer and the small investor, the Minister announced a slew of schemes, and income tax exemptions. Following are the key highlights: Forex reserves are at highest level at $350 billion' 2016: Current account deficit seen at 1.4% of GDP' - 3 schemes to address weaker sections' GDP growth has accelerated to 7.6%. CPI inflation has come down to 5.4%.
261. Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik was formally declared elected as the president of the Biju Janata Dal (BJD) for the 7th consecutive term.
262. The President of India, Shri Pranab Mukherjee will be the Chief Guest at the 40th Anniversary Celebrations of Indian Civil Accounts Service tomorrow (March 1, 2016).
263. ‘Ek Bharat Shrestha Bharat’ programme will be launched to link States and Districts in an annual programme that connects people though exchanges in areas of language, trade, culture, travel and tourism.
264. 88th Academy Awards, popularly called Oscar Awards, were conferred on 29 February 2016. The award ceremony was held at the Dolby Theatre in Hollywood, Los Angeles.
265. National Science Day was observed across India on 28 February 2016. The theme for the National Science Day 2016 is Scientific Issues for Development of the Nation.
266. General Budget 2016-17 has proposed allocation of initial sums of Rs. 100 Crore each allocated for celebrating Birth Centenary of Pt Deen Dayal Upadhyay and 350th Birth Anniversary of Guru Gobind Singh.
267. President Pranab Mukherjee will declare Kerala as the first digital state of the country on 27th February,2016.
268. Dinesh Sharma, Additional Finance Secretary, Department Of Economic Affairs and India’s Governor to the International Fund for Agriculture Development (IFAD) was unanimously elected as the Chairperson of the Governing Council of IFAD for a period of two years in its 39th Session held in Rome, Italy.
269. Famous sound designer Resul Pookutty on 27 February 2016 became the first Asian to win the award for Best Sound for documentary India’s Daughter at the Motion Picture Sound Editors’ (MPSE) 63rd annual Golden Reel Awards.
270. Former Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) Vinod Rai has been appointed as the first Chairman of Banks Board Bureau (BBB).
271. Socialist leader and former Maharashtra Minister Nihal Ahmed Maulavi Mohammed Usman today passed away in Nashik following age-old ailments.
272. India's oldest first-class cricketer BK Garudachar, who represented Mysore (as Karnataka was called till 1974), United Province and Bombay, died in Bangalore.
273. Famous Tamil Comedy actor Kumarimuthu died in Chennai. He was 77.
274. Switzerland Player Stanislas Wawrinka won the battle of the 30-year-olds by defeating Marcos Baghdatis of Cyprus 6-4, 7-6 (13) to win the Dubai Tennis Championships title.