1. India has been ranked a low 110th out of 149 countries on Sustainable Development index (SDI). Top countries are Sweden (1st), Denmark (2nd), Norway (3rd), Finland (4th), Switzerland (5th), Germany (6th), Austria (7th), Netherlands (8th), Iceland (9th) and United Kingdom (10th). Bottom countries are Chad (145th), Niger (146th), Congo (147th), Liberia (148th) and Central African Republic (149th).
2. Social networking giant Facebook’s Internet drone named ‘Aquila’ has passed first full-scale test. This was the first time using the full-scale drone. The flight test was undertaken in Yuma, Arizona (US) and was only meant to last for 30 minutes. But the test went so well that the plane was kept flying for up for 96 minutes.
3. Prime Minister Narendra Modi laid the foundation stone of All India Institute Of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) and revival of fertilizer factory plant in Gorakhpur, Uttar Pradesh. The fertilizer factory plant belongs to the Fertiliser Corporation India Ltd (FCIL) and was lying idle since 1990s. It would be revived through a special purpose vehicle (SPV) of public sector units (PSUs) at an estimated cost of 6,000 crore Rupees.
4. Senior IAS officer Ajay Bhushan Pandey was appointed as Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI). Ajay Bhushan Pandey is a 1984 batch Indian Administrative Service (IAS) officer of Maharashtra cadre. Prior to this appointment he was serving as Director General of the UIDAI since August 2015.
5. Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Prime Minister of Bangladesh Sheikh Hasina jointly inaugurated the Petrapole Integrated Check Post (ICP). It was inaugurated by both leaders through video-conferencing. Chief Minister of West Bengal, Mamata Banerjee also had participated in the video-conference.
6. The Lok Sabha has passed the National Institute of Technology, Science, Education and Research (Amendment) (NITSER) Bill, 2016. The bill seeks to establish a National Institute of Technology (NIT) in Andhra Pradesh as an institute of national importance under the NITSER Act, 2007 with an effect from August 2015.
7. The New Delhi Municipal Council (NDMC) has signed a MoU with National Environmental Engineering Research Institute (NEERI) to develop 12 sewage treatment plants (STP). NEERI will provide its expertise in this field and the treatment plants to help NDMC to irrigate its parks in a bid to develop green areas and revamp big and small parks. The 12 STP projects of NDMC will also help increase the green cover in NDMC areas and curb dust pollution.
8. The awards were in the categories of Travel Advertisement Broadcast Media and E-Newsletter, which were grabbed by the successful Visit Kerala television commercial campaign and the popular Kerala Tourism E-Newsletter, respectively.
9. Singh replaced S S Ahluwalia, who became Minister of the State for Parliamentary Affairs in reshuffle of the council of ministers on 5 July 2016. After the appointment, Singh will have to move a resolution in the Lok Sabha seeking the seventh extension of the term of the panel.
10. Roger Ailes resigned as Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Fox News Channel, putting an end to his 20-year reign over America's powerful cable news channel for conservatives.
11. Former French cyclist Dominique Arnaud passed away in Dax, Aquitaine, France on 20 July 2016 due to cancer. He was 60.