1. The Central government has appointed Gopal Murli Bhagat as Executive Director of Corporation Bank for a period of three years. Prior to his elevation, Bhagat was General Manager with Bank of India.
2. The Nagaland State Assembly has passed the Goods and Service Tax (GST) Constitution Amendment Bill, 8th State to ratify the tax reform.
3. The World Risk Report 2016, published by the UNU Institute for Environment and Human Security (UNU-EHS) and Bundnis Entwicklung Hilft, analyses the role that infrastructure plays in shaping a country’s disaster risk. India has been ranked 77th, Pakistan at 72nd, Bangladesh at 5th and topped by Island state of Vanuatu.
4. Women and Child Development Minister (WCD) Maneka Sanjay Gandhi has launched Protection of Children from Sexual Offenses, POCSO e-box, in New Delhi.
5. Pakistan will host the 19th SAARC Summit on November 9 and 10 this year.
6. RBI has asked banks to provide loans to women self-help groups in rural areas at 7% per annum. A self-help group (SHG) is a village-based financial intermediary committee usually composed of 10–20 local women or men.
7. IT capital of the country, Bengaluru, will host the 2017 Bharatiya Pravasi Divas. It is scheduled to take place on February 7, 8 and 9 of 2017.
8. The US Postal Service will commemorate the festival of Diwali with a Forever stamp on Oct 5 and on behalf of this a dedication ceremony to be hosted at Consulate General of India in New York.
9. The World Bank has announced a funding of Rs 980 crore to dredge the Brahmaputra as an initiative to develop waterways to Bangladesh and to other South East Asian countries which is give fillip to trade and industry in the Area. The World Bank is an international financial institution that provides loans to developing countries for capital programs.
10. Shri P Kumaran Indian Foreign Service, presently Joint secretary in the Ministry, has been appointed as the next Ambassador of India to the State of Qatar. He is expected to take up his assignment shortly.