1. National Sports Day in India is celebrated on August 29 to mark hockey legend Dhyan Chand's birthday.
2. Four athletes, including Olympic silver medallist P.V. Sindhu, gymnast Dipa Karmakar, shooter Jitu Rai and Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik received the Rajiv Khel Ratna award from President Pranab Mukherjee in New Delhi.
3. Qatar's based Doha Bank has opened a branch, the Kerala’s Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan inaugurated the branch.
4. The Maharashtra Assembly's has unanimously passed the Goods and Services Tax (GST) Constitutional Amendment Bill.
5. The West Bengal Assembly today passed the resolution to rename the state to 'Bangla' in Bengali, 'Bengal' in English and 'Bangal' in Hindi.
6. CM, Mehbooba Mufti has formally launched the Ujala Scheme in Jammu and Kashmir with the distribution of LED bulbs. The National LED programme was launched by the Prime Minister in January 2015 with a target of replacing 77 crore incandescent lamps with LED bulbs.
7. Union HRD Minister Prakash Javadekar formally inaugurated the institute in Dharwad.
8. Mercedes driver Nico Rosberg from Germany has won the 2016 Belgian Grand Prix of Formula One.
9. Tata Sons, the holding company of the Tata Group of companies, has appointed private equity firm Bain Capital’s Managing Director Amit Chandra as non-executive director.
10. Western Railway won the overall team championship in the 82nd All India Railway athletic Championship held at Tiruchirapalli Tamil Nadu.
11. Abhijit Bhaduri, chief learning officer of Wipro has resigned. Bhaduri will start his own executive coaching company.