Daily GK Update 3rd August 2016 Important Current Affairs
1. The seventh meeting of South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC) Immigration Authorities was held in Islamabad, Pakistan.
2. The Parliament has passed the Benami Transactions (Prohibition) Amendment Bill after it was unanimously approved by Rajya Sabha. The comprehensive amendment bill seeks to amend and strengthen Benami Transaction (Prohibition) Act, 1988 in terms of legal and administrative procedure to curb domestic black money.
3. Japan’s cabinet has approved an economic stimulus package worth 275 billion dollars in attempt kick-start the economy and boost growth of the world’s third-largest economy. Decision in this regard was Japanese Cabinet meeting chaired by Prime Minister Shinzo Abe in Tokyo. The Japanese government expects that this package will boost gross domestic product (GDP) by 1.3%.
4. The Parliament has passed the Institutes of Technology (Amendment) Bill, 2016 to set up six new Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs). The Bill seeks to amend the Institutes of Technology Act, 1961 to add six new IITs as institutions of national importance. Addition of six new IITs in Palakkad (Kerala), Tirupati (Andhra Pradesh), Goa, Dharwar (Karnataka), Bhilai (Chhattisgarh) and Jammu (Jammu and Kashmir). Bring the Indian School of Mines (ISM), Dhanbad (Jharkhand) within the ambit of the parent Act. All these institutions will be declared as institutions of national importance.
5. Rajasthan has become the first state in the country to approve sewage and waste water policy. The first of its kind policy was approved by the State Cabinet meeting presided by Chief Minister Vasundhara Raje in Jaipur.
6. Technocrat Anant Maheshwari was appointed as the President of Microsoft India, a subsidiary of US based software giant Microsoft Inc.
7. A group of Chinese scientists will be performing the world’s first genetic editing trial on humans in August 2016. The trial will be done in an attempt to find a cure for lung cancer. A team led by Dr. Lu You at Sichuan University’s West China Hospital in Chengdu received approval to carry out the trial from the hospital’s review board on 6 July 2016.
8. American ice hockey Olympic champion Angela Ruggiero was elected as the new chair of the International Olympic Committee (IOC)’s Athletes’ Commission.
9. West Bengal Cabinet cleared a proposal to rename the state as “Bengal” in English and “Bango” or “Bangla” in Bengali.
10. BJP Parliamentary Board accepted the resignation of Gujarat Chief Minister Anandiben Patel. She will meet State Governor OP Kohli to submit her resignation.
11. Sumitra Mahajan, Speaker, Lok Sabha, presented the National Tourism Awards for the year 2014-15 to various segments of the travel, tourism and hospitality industry. The Best State/Union Territory for Comprehensive Development of Tourism was presented to Madhya Pradesh followed by Gujarat and Karnataka. On the other hand, American journalist Stephanie Pearson won the Best Foreign Journalist for India Award. She won the honour for her feature on Kerala‘The Great Heaven.’
12. Sports Minister Vijay Goel inaugurated ‘Wall of Wishes’ at India Gate Lawns in New Delhi.
13. Renowned Indian-American linguist Braj B Kachru passed away on 29 July 2016 in Urbana, Illinois. He was 84.
Daily GK Update 3rd August 2016 Important Current Affairs Reviewed by Job today on 18:04 Rating: