1. The Government has formally notified the GST Council, which will decide on the tax rate, exempted goods under the new taxation regime.
2. Nadia Murad, a former ISIS captive, has been named the UN’s new Goodwill Ambassador for the Dignity of Survivors of Human Trafficking.
3. Indian-American physician-author Abraham Verghese, whose work has emphasised empathy in medicine, has been selected for the prestigious 2015 National Humanities Medal, the White House has announced.
4. Vijaya Bank has bagged the second prize under Rajbhasha Kirti Puraskar (Region C) for the year 2015-16.
5. India will host the Annual Meetings of the African Development Bank (AfDB) Group in May next year. To be held at Mahatma Gandhi Convention Centre, Ahmedabad on May 22-26.
6. Reliance Communications (RCom) board has approved the company’s merger with Aircel, in one of the biggest deals in the telecom space in recent times.
7. Mulayam rejects Shiv Pal resignations: After meeting Shivpal Yadav and CM Akhilesh at his residence in Lucknow, Samajwadi Party chief Mulayam Singh today said that Shivpal Singh will be the state unit head of the party and all the departments taken from him will also be restored.
8. India will raise the issue of terrorism during the 17th Non Aligned Movement, NAM, Summit in Venezuela. While talking to media on board to Venezuela to attend the NAM Summit at Margarita Island, the Vice President Mohammad Hamid Ansari said both social and international peace are interrupted by terror and if population is terrorised then it cannot devote itself to its normal pursuits.
9. Officials from Japan and China have ended talks on bilateral maritime issues. The officials wrapped up their two-day working-level meeting in the Japanese city of Hiroshima yesterday. They discussed an emergency communication mechanism to avoid unexpected clashes at sea or in the air, following a similar debate yesterday. Sources say the officials were proactive in talks covering issues including the timing for launching the mechanism. But it is believed that discussions on natural gas development in the East China Sea made little progress.
10. Indian cyclists bagged two bronze medals on day two of the Track Asia Cup 2016 in New Delhi today. Sanuraj P won the bronze in the 1 kilometre Time Trial Men Junior, while the second bronze of the day came in the Team Pursuit 4 kilometre Race.
11. Sports Ministry will start a Talent Search Portal within a month. The portal will allow talented children of eight years and above to stake their claim for support including admission to sports training centres.
12. China is set to launch a second experimental space station, as it looks to have a manned station by 2022. State media said the Tiangong 2 is scheduled to launch just after 22:00 local time today from the Gobi desert. Next month two astronauts will go to the station to conduct research.