Daily GK Update 21st September 2016, Important Current Affairs
1. The flagship rural housing scheme Indira Awas Yojana (IAY), started by former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi, has been restructured and renamed as Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (PMAY), which will be launched next month.
2. BCCI appointed a new selection panel. Ajay Shirke has been re-elected as the BCCI secretary. MSK Prasad, former wicket-keeper has been elected as the chief-selector. Other members include Jatin Paranjpae, Devan Gandhi, Gagan Khoda and Sarandeep Singh. The decision was taken in the 87th Annual General Meeting of the BCCI in Mumbai.
3. Our Correspondent the Union Cabinet approved merger of Rail budget with Union Budget.
4. Indian shooters continued their impressive show in the ISSF Junior World Cup at Gabala in Azerbaijan as they bagged 2 Gold, 1 Silver and 2 Bronze medals on the third day of the competition. Rushiraj Barot clinched the coveted yellow metal in the Men’s 25m rapid fire pistol event, with Pratik Borse, Arjun Babuta and Prashant winning the team Gold in the 10m Air Rifle category. Arjun also took home a Bronze in the individual event as he finished third. Another Bronze came in the Women’s 10m Air Rifle team event in which Dilreen Gill, Geetaksmi Dixit and Aashi Rastogi finished third. In the Men’s 5m pistol event, the team of Nishant Bhardwaj, Arjun Das and Anmol bagged a Silver.
5. The 193 countries of the United Nations have signed a landmark declaration to rid the world of drug-resistant infections or superbugs. Six years in the making, the international commitment could prevent 700,000 deaths a year, say experts.
6. Centre has approved nine highway projects of 414 kilometer at an estimated cost of Rs 2600 crore. These projects are related to the states of Telangana, Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, Nagaland and Uttar Pradesh.
7. Prime Minister Narendra Modi's constituency Varanasi made it to the list of 27 Smart Cities that was announced. Vadodara, Agra, Nagpur, Ajmer, Amritsar, Gwalior, Thane and Thanjavur are some of the other cities that have been named. The 27 cities will require the investment of Rs 66,883 crore.
8. Hindustani classical singer Shubha Mudgal will be honoured with the annual 'LalitArpan Samman' this year.
9. Junaid Ahmad has become the World Bank's Country Director for India, replacing Onno Ruhl who served a four-year term based out of the national capital.
10. Star raider Anup Kumar from Haryana will lead India in next month’s Kabaddi World Cup to be held in Ahmedabad.
11. Misbah-ul-Haq has received the prestigious ICC Test Championship mace for inspiring Pakistan to the top of the ICC Test Team Rankings.
12. Flipkart has crossed the 100-million registered users mark, becoming the first e-commerce company in the country to hit the milestone.
13. Oscar-winning writer and film director Curtis Hanson has died at his home in Hollywood at the age of 71.
14. The International Day of Peace is observed across the world on 21 September every year to strengthening the ideals of peace, both within and among all nations and peoples.
15. Nobel laureate and Myanmar leader Aung San Suu Kyi was honoured as the 2016 Humanitarian of the Year by the students and faculty at the Harvard Foundation.
Daily GK Update 21st September 2016, Important Current Affairs Reviewed by Job today on 19:40 Rating: