1. India and France inked the deal for 36 Rafale fighter jets. The deal was signed in New Delhi in the presence of Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar and his French counterpart Jean Yves Le Drian. The aircraft will be equipped with latest missiles and weapon system. The 7.8 billion Euro deal is crucial for the Indian Air Force and is expected to give India the dominant status in the air.
2. Karnataka, business Advisory Committee attended by floor leaders in legislative Assembly has decided to make one line resolution on the issue of releasing Cauvery water to Tamil Nadu following Supreme Court order. The one day session of legislative Assembly and Council is called for a day to discuss the Supreme Court order and pass a resolution on the issue.
3. India’s High Commissioner to UK Navtej Sarna has been appointed as Ambassador to the United States.
4. India, United States and Afghanistan have reaffirmed their shared interests in combating terrorism and advancing peace and security in the region.
5. Researchers from Pune (Maharashtra) have produced high-quality carbon from sugarcane waste within minutes by using a low power microwave system.
6. The Union Government has extended support to certain new products and the rate of incentives for certain other specified products under the Merchandise Exports from India Scheme (MEIS).
7. The Appointments Committee of Cabinet (ACC) has appointed three economists as the external appointees on the Monetary Policy Committee (MPC). They are Pami Dua, Chetan Ghate and Ravindra Dholakia. They will have a fixed four year term and it is non-renewable.
8. Two Indian forest officials have been selected for the 2016 Clark R. Bavin Wildlife Law Enforcement Awards. They are Assistant Conservator Ritesh Sarothiya of Madhya Pradesh State Forest Service and Range officer Sanjay Dutta of Belakoba Forest Range Jalpaiguri in West Bengal.
9. Syrian aid group White Helmets has won the prestigious Right Livelihood Award which is also known as ‘alternative Nobel’ prize.
10. Justice Mohan M Shantanagoudar was sworn in as Chief Justice of Kerala High Court as per Article 219 of the Constitution.
11. The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) approved the partial capital grant of 5176 crore rupees to GAIL (India) Limited for development of 2539 km long Jagdishpur-Haidia and Bokaro-Dhamra Gas Pipeline (JHBDPL) project.
12. Junaid Ahmad was appointed as the World Bank Country Director for India. He will succeed Onno Ruhl who completed his four-year term recently.