Daily GK Update 2nd September 2016, Important Current Affairs
1. The Guinness World Records has officially designation Assam’s Majuli as the largest river island in the world. It is situated in the Brahmaputra River. The river island covering an area of around 880 sqkm has toppled previous record held by Brazil’s Marajo island in the Amazon river.
2. India has been placed at the 35th rank in the World Bank’s 2016 Logistics Performance Index (LPI) among 160 countries. The index was recently released by World Bank in its report titled ‘Connecting to Complete 2016’. India has leapfrogged by 19 spots to 35th rank compared with 54th rank in 2014 LPI.
3. The first BRICS film festival has begun at the Sirifort Auditorium Complex in New Delhi. The film festival is the run up to the BRICS summit which is to be held in Goa in October 2016. It was inaugurated by Minister of State (MoS) for Information and Broadcasting Rajyavardhan Rathore and Minister of State (MoS) for External Affairs V.K. Singh.
4. The Union Government has notified National Apprenticeship Promotion Scheme (NAPS) for providing apprenticeship training to over 50 lakh youngsters in order to create more jobs. The Scheme has an outlay of 10,000 crore rupees with a target of 50 Lakh apprentices to be trained by 2019-20. It is first of its kind scheme notified to offer financial incentives to employers.
5. The National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) for the first time has successfully sequenced DNA in space aboard the International Space Station (ISS). The genome sequencing was undertaken for the first time in microgravity as part of the Biomolecule Sequencer experiment performed by NASA astronaut Kate Rubins.
6. The annual socio-religious Solung festival of Adi tribe has started in Arunachal Pradesh. Solung is 5-day long agro-based festival is celebrated every year by the Adi tribe in the first week of September.
7. Indian Railways has launched an insurance scheme for passengers travelling on e- ticket. The insurance cover will be upto 10 lakh rupees. The insurance scheme was launched by Union Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu in New Delhi. For this scheme, Indian Railways has roped in Shriram General Insurance Company, ICICI Lombard and Royal Sundaram General Insurance for providing the insurance cover.
8. The Gujarat government has inked a tripartite memorandum of understanding (MoU) with the Ministry of Civil Aviation and the Airport Authority of India (AAI). Under these MoUs, 11 small airports and airstrips will be developed under the Centre’s Regional Connectivity Scheme (RCS) to boost regional air connectivity in the State.
9. India’s first international conference on cooking gas has started in Bhubaneswar, Odisha. The 2-day conference was inaugurated by Jharkhand Governor Droupadi Murmu. It was also attended by Union Petroleum and Natural Gas Minister Dharmendra Pradhan.
10. India and Egypt have signed an agreement in the area of Maritime Transport to step up co-operation on the seas. The agreement was signed after delegation level talks between Prime Minister Narendra Modi and visiting President of Egypt Abdel Fattah El-Sisi in New Delhi.
11. The Guinness World Records declared Assam's Majuli as the largest river island in the world.
12. Carnatic singer Thodur Madabusi Krishna and Bezwada Wilson, campaigner for eradication of manual scavenging, received the prestigious Ramon Magsaysay Award 2016.
13. Spain’s world number three Garbine Muguruza has made a shock exit from the US Open, the fourth and final Grand Slam of the season.
Daily GK Update 2nd September 2016, Important Current Affairs Reviewed by Job today on 19:05 Rating: