1. The Election Commission of India (ECI) has granted national party status to All India Trinamool Congress (TMC) Party led by West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee. The party has fulfilled the required conditions to become a national party after getting status of state party in four states. The TMC is ruling the West Bengal Government and has its presence in north eastern states Manipur, Arunachal Pradesh and Tripura. With this recognition, TMC became seventh national party in the country along with Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), Congress, Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP), Nationalist Congress Party (NCP), Communist Party of India (CPI) and Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPM).
2. India and Egypt have signed an agreement in the area of Maritime Transport to step up co-operation on the seas. The agreement was signed during the 3-day visit (from September 1 to 3, 2016) of Egyptian President Abdel Fattah El Sisi to India. The Maritime Transport Agreement will strengthen cooperation between both countries. It will also provide sustained mutual assistance and advice on merchant shipping and other related maritime matters.
3. The Union Government has announced a special package of 200 crore rupees for Jammu and Kashmir to engage youth of the state in constructive sporting activities.
4. Canada’s British Columbia province has become the first foreign government to issue of masala bonds, a rupee-denominated bond.
5. The Coal India Limited (CIL) has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Indian Council of Forestry Research and Education (ICFRE) for effectively monitoring of environment related issues in the coal mining projects.
6. India and Vietnam have signed 12 agreements for cooperation in areas, including defence and IT, to boost bilateral ties.
7. Chennamaneni Vidyasagar Rao, Governor of Maharashtra, was sworn in as the acting Governor of Tamil Nadu.
8. A team of scientists have discovered the world’s oldest stromatolite fossils about 3.7 billion years old in the world’s oldest sedimentary rocks in the Isua Greenstone Belt along the edge of Greenland’s icecap. The findings were published in journal Nature on 31 August 2016.
9. Two-day G-20 Summit of the world's major economies will start in the Chinese city of Hangzhou discuss efforts to reform global economic governance.
10. The first BRICS Film Festival will kick started on 2 September 2016 at the Sirifort Auditorium Complex, New Delhi. Minister of State for Information and Broadcasting Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore inaugurated the festival.
11. Bangladesh has named former Sri Lankan cricketer Thilan Samaraweera as their batting consultant for next month’s home series against England.
12. Cardiologist K K Aggarwal has been unanimously elected as the National President of the Indian Medical Association for the year 2016-17.
13. South Korea's LG Electronics Inc on 2 September 2016 tied-up with Amazon.com Inc on smart-home services.
14. CBI carried out searches at the residences of former Haryana Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda and a sitting UPSC member along with 18 other locations in a case of alleged irregularities in acquisition of land in Gurgaon in which farmers were cheated to the tune of Rs 1,500 crore.
15. Uzbek President Islam Karimov has died after suffering a stroke at the age of 78.
16. Zaheer Khan, former India pacer has been inducted as an Honorary Life Member of the Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC).
17. The United States and China, together responsible for 40 percent of the world’s carbon emissions, have ratified the Paris global climate agreement.
18. The pair of Leander Paes and Martina Hingis will play for a Mixed Doubles quarter-final berth of the US Open, the fourth and final Grand Slam of the season.
19. The President of India, Pranab Mukherjee has condoled the passing away of H. E. Mr Islam Karimov, President of the Republic of Uzbekistan.