1. Mother Teresa is being declared a saint by Pope Francis at a canonisation ceremony in Vatican City.
2. In Haryana, village Gumthala Garhu near Pehowa in Kurukshetra district has became the first Wifi hotspot village in Haryana circle under bulk plan of BSNL.
3. DCB Bank, a new-generation private sector bank, has announced the launch of mVisa, a mobile based payment solution that will make payments at retail outlets much easier. Customers can pay now through their smartphones by scanning the unique Quick Response (QR) code at the retail outlet.
4. Kiran Mazumdar Shaw, Chairperson and Managing Director of Biocon Limited, was on 1 September 2016 appointed Chevalier de l'Ordre National de la Légion d'Honneur (Knight of the National Order of the French Legion of Honour).
5. In Tennis, world number one Serena Williams has created history by setting a record of most number of Grand Slam matches wins by a woman in the Open era. In the US Open last night, the American defeated Johanna Larsson of Sweden, 6-2, 6-1 to progress to the pre-quarterfinals and surpass Martina Navratilova's record of 306 wins.
6. Voting is due to start in the first major elections in Hong Kong since pro-democracy protests in 2014. The main parties competing are divided by their stances on the territory’s relationship with Beijing. Voters will choose 35 lawmakers based on geographical constituencies and 35 people to represent selected trades.
7. Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis and actor Amitabh Bachchan picked up brooms during a ‘Maha Cleanathon’ held as part of the Swachh Bharat Abhiyan in Mumbai.
8. India and African nations have decided to take major steps to boost collaborations in joint medical research and work to harmonise regulatory frameworks to develop the pharmaceutical market in Africa.
9. Indian shuttler Anand Pawar has stormed into the men’s singles finals of Brazil Open Grand Prix Badminton 2016.