1. India and Chile have expanded their Preferential Trade Agreement with both offering to lower or eliminate tariffs on a number of items traded with each other.
2. First Ever ‘Incredible India Tourism Investment Summit’ (IITIS) will be organized by Ministry of Tourism to attract investors across the globe.
3. Raam Reddy’s Kannada film Thithi was conferred the Best Film award by Union Minister of Information and Broadcasting Minister M. Venkaiah Naidu at the closing ceremony of the 1st BRICS Film Festival.
4. The Central government has approved six proposals to set up centres of excellence to promote and fund start-ups under the National Initiative for Development and Harnessing Innovation (NIDHI), a programme steered by the Department of Science and Technology.
4. Rajasthan’s education department has partnered with US-based technology firm Cisco to promote digital learning across the state using virtual digital room solutions.
5. National award winner and veteran director K G George has been selected for the JC Daniel award 2015.
6. Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) has successfully completed test flight of indigenous Light Utility Helicopter (LUH) Bengaluru.
7. The Department of Telecom (DoT) has created ‘Urja Mitra Helpline’ through which customers can get information on power outages from distribution companies by dialling 14401.
8. The government has approved projects worth over Rs. 450 crore under ‘Swadesh Darshan’ scheme for five states.
9. World’s oldest cricketer, South African Lindsay Tuckett, passed away. He was 97. The distinction of the oldest surviving cricketer in the world now passes to another South African player, all-rounder Johnny Watkins, who is 93.
10. Australia broke the world scoring record in Twenty20 internationals as an unbeaten century by opener Glenn Maxwell helped the team to 263 for 3 and an 85-run victory in the first match against Sri Lanka.
11. Veteran film director K G George (70-year) has been selected for the J C Daniel award 2015 for his overall contribution to the Malayalam film industry.
12. Wrestler Sushil Kumar has been nominated for the Padma Bhushan by the Wrestling Federation of India (WFI).
13. The Rio 2016 Paralympic Games will begin today. Around 4,350 athletes from more than 160 countries will compete in 22 different sports. Of the total number of athletes set to take part, approximately 1,650 will be women. Canoe and triathlon will be included in the Games for the first time in Rio.