1. K G George who is the National Award winner & veteran director has been selected for JC Daniel award 2015. For Malayalam cinema the Kerala Government’s highest honor for outstanding contribution.
2. The Religare Enterprises Ltd. has appointed Sunil Godhwani as chief executive for the remaining period of his tenure. This decision was taken at the company’s AGM (annual general meeting), which was presided over by Malvinder Mohan Singh, non-executive chairman, and Religare Enterprises.
3. President Pranab Mukherjee has given assent to the Constitution (122nd Amendment) (GST) Bill, 2014 as per Article 111 of the Constitution. With the assent, bill becomes law and opens road to roll out a new indirect tax regime and gives way for the concept of one nation, one tax.
4. The Union Government has launched a new service -integration of DigiLocker with Driving Licenses (DL) & Vehicle Registration Certificates (RC). It was jointly launched by Union Minister of Road Transport & Highways and Shipping Nitin Gadkari and Union Minister of Electronics & Information Technology and Law & Justice Ravi Shankar Prasad in New Delhi.
5. The International Literacy Day is being observed 08 September every year to emphasize the importance of literacy to individuals, society and communities This year, the world is celebrating 50th International Literacy Day. The day was established in 1966 by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO).
6. The first edition of ‘IoT (Internet of Things) India Congress, 2016’ began in Bengaluru, Karnataka. The three-day event was inaugurated by Union Information Technology (IT) and Electronics Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad and JS Deepak, Secretary, Ministry of Telecommunications.
7. India has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Greece to allow unlimited number of flights into each other’s countries and also has initiated the air service agreement for open skies. With this, Greece becomes first country with which India has inked an open sky arrangement under its new civil aviation policy.
8. India, Kazakhstan joint bilateral military exercise PRABAL DOSTYK-16 began in Karaganda region of Kazakhstan. The fourteen day (till 17 September 2016) will be a significant step towards fostering military as well as diplomatic ties between both countries. ‘Prabal Dostyk’ means ‘Robust Friendship’
9. The first phase of ESIC (Employees State Insurance Corporation) Pilot Project of Telemedicine Services was launched for providing specialist medical services at a distance to insured workers. It was launched by the Union Minister of State (MoS) for Labour and Employment Bandaru Dattatreya in New Delhi.
10. The first edition of IoT India Congress 2016 kick started on 7 September 2016 in Bengaluru, Karnataka.
The three-day event was inaugurated by Ravi Shankar Prasad, Union Information Technology (IT) and Electronics Minister, and JS Deepak, Secretary, Ministry of Telecommunications.
11. India signed the bilateral Air Services Agreement with Greece to allow unlimited points of call for domestic airlines in Greece.
12. The International Literacy Day was celebrated on 8 September 2016 across the world. The theme of International Literacy Day 2016 is Reading the Past, Writing the Future.
13. South African Lindsay Tuckett, who was the oldest surviving former Test cricketer, passed away on 5 September 2016 in Bloemfontein. He was 97.
14. INDIAN Prime Minister Narendra Modi had a bilateral meeting with US President Barack Obama at Vientiane, Laos on the sidelines of ASEAN Summit. The two leaders reported to have reviewed immediate priorities in the strategic partnership and cooperation in several areas including climate change, nuclear energy, solar energy and innovation.
15. Mr. Faraz Ahmad, UGC-BSR Doctoral Fellow, Interdisciplinary Biotechnology Unit, Aligarh Muslim University has been awarded with prestigious Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation sponsored Global Health Travel Award for participating in a Keystone Symposia meeting “Translational Vaccinology for Global Health” which will be held at London, UK during October 24-30, 2016. Mr. Ahmad figures amongst the 45 recipients of the award from a pool of 170 applicants from all over the world.
16. The Centre last evening announced a financial package for Andhra Pradesh. It includes full funding of Pollavaram irrigation project, tax concessions and a special assistance.