Daily GK Update 17th October 2016, Important Current Affairs
1. China has successfully launched longest-ever manned mission by taking two astronauts Jing Haipeng (50) and Chen Dong (37) into the orbit. They were launched on board of Shenzhou-11 (heavenly vessel) spacecraft from the Jiuquan Satellite Launch Centre near the Gobi Desert in northwest China. The spacecraft was put into orbit by a Long March-2F carrier rocket.
2. A historic global climate deal was reached in Kigali, Rwanda at the Twenty-Eighth Meeting of the Parties to the Montreal Protocol on Substances that Deplete the Ozone Layer (MOP28). The so called Kigali Amendment which amends the 1987 Montreal Protocol aims to phase out Hydrofluorocarbons (HFCs), a family of potent greenhouse gases by the late 2040s. Under Kigali Amendment, in all 197 countries, including India have agreed to a timeline to reduce the use of HFCs by roughly 85% of their baselines by 2045.
3. The five-nation group of emerging economies BRICS has agreed to set up an independent BRICS Rating Agency in its efforts to challenge western hegemony in the world of finance. It was announced during the 8th BRICS summit held in Goa, India. BRICS comprises five emerging economies — Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa.
4. The Japanese Encephalitis has claimed 54 lives in Odisha’s backward Malkangiri district in just a more than a month. The State Government is monitoring and overseeing the measures to check the spread of Japanese Encephalitis.
5. The International Day for the Eradication of Poverty is observed globally on 17 October for eradication of poverty throughout the world.
6. The eighth BRICS summit was held in Goa from 15 to 16 October 2016. The summit concluded with adaptation of Goa Declaration.
7. The World Food Day is observed globally on 16 October to mark foundation of Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO) of the United Nations in 1945.
8. India has signed a defence deal worth nearly Rs 39,000 crore with Russia to purchase five state of art S-400 ‘Triumf’ air defence systems.
9. Officiating Director General of NCC Maj Gen JS Sandhu will inaugurate the Opening Ceremony of the NCC National Games 2016 in New Delhi today. Defence minister manohar parrikar is expected to be the Chief Guest of closing ceremony on 26th of this month.
10. India and Hungary signed two agreements on Sunday during Vice President, Mohammad Hamid Ansari’s visit to that country. The first agreement is for cooperation in the field of water resources, including innovations in irrigation technology and another pact is for promotion of co-operation between Indian Council Of World Affairs and its Hungarian counterpart. The agreements were inked in Budapest.
11. 200 countries have reached a historic agreement to reduce greenhouse gases used in refrigerators and air-conditioners.
Daily GK Update 17th October 2016, Important Current Affairs Reviewed by Job today on 18:10 Rating: