1. India has ratified the Paris Agreement on climate change on the 147th birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi. India’s Permanent Representative to UN, Syed Akbaruddin handed over the Instrument of Ratification signed by President Pranab Mukherjee to the United Nations in New York.
2. Scientists have discovered a new species of Pika, a mammal belonging to the rabbit and hare family in the Himalayas in Sikkim. It has been identified as ‘Ochotona sikimaria’. It is quite distinctive from all other pika species based on the fecal pellets and tissue samples.
3. The crown prince of Abu Dhabi, Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan will be the chief guest for the 68th Republic Day celebrations on 26 January 2017.
4. The BRICS nations have adopted the ‘New Delhi Declaration on Education’ to ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote life-long learning opportunities for all.
5. The International Day of Non-violence is being celebrated on 2 October throughout the world on the birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi.
6. The Delhi Police has launched a mobile application “Delhi Police Senior Citizen” for senior citizens to provide immediate assistance to them in distress. The facility was launched by Delhi Lieutenant Governor Najeeb Jung at a function in New Delhi on the occasion of International Day of Older Persons (observed on October 1).
7. The Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) has received total disclosure of Rs. 65,250 crore black money in the form of cash and other assets under the Income Disclosure Scheme, 2016.
8. Indian-American associate professor from US Vinaya Manchaiah has been named as the Future Leader of Audiology. In this regard, he was inducted into the 2016 class of the ‘Jerger Future Leaders of Audiology’ by the American Academy of Audiology. He is among the one of only a dozen individuals selected from across the US for this prestigious honour.
9. Murga has won the first prize at the Swachh Bharat Short Film Festival (SBSFF). The short film was directed by young filmmaker Katyayan Shivpuri from Maharashtra. The Union Information and Broadcasting Minister M Venkaiah Naidu bestowed award upon Katyayan with a certificate and cash prize of 10 lakhs rupees.
10. Prime Minister Narendra Modi greeted the people of China on the occasion of their 67th National Day.
11. The embattled head of the Spanish Socialists Pedro Sanchez has resigned after losing a vote among top party members. His resignation, which he announced , could see the party lift its veto on a new government led by acting conservative Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy.
12. Senior Journalist Farzand who devoted most of his journalistic career with prestigious India Today group passed away in Lucknow. He was suffering from dreaded cancer for some time. He took hi last breath at a Lucknow hospital this morning. He was 68.
13. Union Finance Minister Arun Jaitley left for Canada and the United States on a seven-day official visit. On the first leg of his visit, Mr Jaitley will reach Canada where he will hold meeting with foreign investors.
14. The Centre has given a year extension to Arundhati Bhattacharya as the Chairman of State Bank of India, first time in the history of the country’s largest lender.
15. India pulled off a brilliant all-round performance to trounce New Zealand by 178 runs in the second Test in Kolkata to clinch the series with an unassailable 2-0 lead, which also propelled it to the top of the ICC rankings, dethroning arch-rival Pakistan.
16. The World Habitat Day was on 3 October 2016 observed across the world with the theme Housing at the Centre.
17. Indian-origin South African girl Kiara Nirghin on 1 October 2016 won the Google Science Fair prize 2016. She won this grand prize of 50000 US dollars scholarship for using orange peel to develop a cheaper super-absorbent material that helps soil retain water.
18. Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the India Sanitation Conference (INDOSAN) in New Delhi.