Daily GK Update 4th October 2016, Important Current Affairs
1. Yoshinori Ohsumi (71) of Japan has won the 2016 Nobel Prize for physiology or Medicine for his pioneering work on autophagy. With this he becomes the 23rd Japanese national to win a Nobel prize and overall the sixth Japanese medicine Nobel laureate. Mr. Ohsumi had received a PhD from the University of Tokyo in 1974. Currently, he is a professor at the Tokyo Institute of Technology (TIT).
2. The Union Urban Development Ministry has declared urban areas of Gujarat, Andhra Pradesh open defecation free (ODF). These are the first states to become open defecation free in urban areas. It was announced on the occasion of second anniversary of the Swachh Bharat Mission and 147th birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi observed on October 2, 2016.
3. Jharkhand has become the first state in the country to implement Direct Benefit Transfer (DBT) in Kerosene Scheme. The scheme is being implemented in four identified districts of the state from 1st of October 2017. These districts are Chatra, Hazaribagh, Khunti and Jamtara.
4. Anil Ambani led Reliance Group and French aerospace giant Dassault Aviation have signed deal to set up a joint venture called Dassault Reliance Aerospace. The Dassault Reliance Aerospace will execute offsets for the recently concluded India-France deal for 36 Rafale fighter jets. It will be the largest offset contract to be executed by any defence company in India. The contract value is estimated up to Rs. 30,000 crore.
5. Film-maker and elephant researcher Prajna Chowta (46) has been appointed Chevalier de l’Ordre National du Mérite (Knight in the National Order of Merit) by the French government.
6. Indian-origin South African Kiara Nirghin (16) has won a $50,000 scholarship at the annual Google Science Fair held in United States.
7. Inviting Canadian investment in India’s infrastructure sector Finance Minister Arun Jaitley said India and Canada are committed to deepen the economic and trade relationship and enhance strategic partnership.
8. Prime Minister Narendra Modi termed Singapore as one of India’s strongest well-wishers. Addressing a joint press statement after the two countries signed three MoUs, PM said that the visiting prime minister Lee Hsien Loong is in the driving seat for Singapore and for the bilateral relationship between the two nations. India and Singapore have upgraded engagement to the level of strategic partnership, said PM Narendra Modi. PM said Singapore seems to act in the present, but is alive to the future. Key MoU’s were signed between India and Singapore in several fields including skill development and industrial commerce. Lee will also call on President Pranab Mukherjee and attend a reception for Singaporeans based in India.
9. The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) cut its key lending—the repo rate—by 25 basis points to 6.25 percent, as a newly set up panel felt that inflation levels were low enough to reduce loan rates.
10. Prime Minister of Sri Lanka Ranil Wickremesinghe will arrive in New Delhi on a three day visit to India on Tuesday. During his stay, he will meet Prime Minister Narendra Modi and discuss issues of mutual interest. The visiting dignitary will also call on President Pranab Mukherjee.
11. India pulled off a brilliant all-round performance to trounce New Zealand by 178 runs in the second Test at the Eden Gardens, Kolkata. With this, the hosts also clinched the 3 Test series with 2-0 lead.The two achievements are great. But, what is more important, perhaps, is today’s victory also propelled Team India to the top of the ICC rankings dethroning arch-rivals Pakistan.
Daily GK Update 4th October 2016, Important Current Affairs Reviewed by Job today on 20:12 Rating: