Daily GK Update 21st November 2016, Important Current Affairs
1. Scientists have developed Zika replicon system, a novel tool to replicate the Zika virus by stripping it of the genes that make the virus infectious.
2. China has launched world’s longest super-secure quantum communication line connecting Hefei, capital of Anhui province to Shanghai, the country’s financial hub. The super-secure quantum communication line is 712-km in length. It boasts of ultra-high security making it impossible to wiretap, intercept or crack the information transmitted through them.
3. Union textile Minister Smriti Irani launched a scheme of ‘Pehchan’ identity cards to artisans in Ahmedabad. She also inaugurated thematic handicrafts exhibition.
4. India’s ace shuttler and Olympic silver medalist PV Sindhu has won the $700,000 2016 China Open Super Series title in women’s category. It was her maiden Super Series Premier title and first post 2016 Rio Olympics title. In the summit clash held in Fuzhao, Sindhu (World No 11) defeated China’s Sun Yu (World No 9) by 21-11, 17-21, 21-11 score.
5. Kenya’s Olympic marathon champion Eliud Kipchoge has won the men’s race in Delhi Half Marathon. Ethiopia’s Worknesh Degefa won the women’s title. It was ninth edition of Delhi Half Marathon. Over 34 thousand participants from across the world had participated in it. 13 Rio Olympians took part in the elite race category.
6. The NASA has successfully launched highly advanced geostationary weather satellite Geostationary Operational Environmental Satellite-R (GOES-R). It was launched on board of Atlas 5 rocket which had lifted off from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Florida.
7. Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar on 21st November commissioned ‘INS Chennai’, the third indigenously designed guided missile destroyer in the Kolkata class.
8. India today successfully test fired the nuclear-capable Prithvi-II missile.ii. The twin trial was conducted from a test range in Chandipur, off the coast of Odisha.
9. Spiritual leader Sri Sri Ravi Shankar was honoured with an International peace prize for his efforts in ensuring world peace.
10. An image of the planet Mars taken by ISRO's Mars-orbiting spacecraft Mangalyaan has found a place on the cover of the November edition of the National Geographic magazine.
11. The 47th International Film Festival of India (IFFI), considered to be Asia's oldest film festival, began in Goa on Nov 20, 2016.
12. The Government of India has appointed Justice Jagdish Singh Khehar, as the new Executive Chairman of the National Legal Services Authority (NALSA).
13. Shaikh Abdullah Bin Zayed Al Nahyan was awarded the prestigious Mother Teresa International Award by the Mumbai-based NGO Harmony Foundation.
14. The State Bank of Mauritius (SBM) Group has appointed Siby Sebastian as Chief Executive for its India operations.
15. India won the second Test at Visakhapatnam by 246 runs to take a 1-0 lead in the 5-match series. England, who were chasing a victory target of 405, were skittled out by Team India for 158 on the fifth and final day of the game.
16. India’s apex bank, the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has proposed opening of “Islamic window” in conventional banks for “gradual” introduction of Sharia-compliant or interest-free banking in the country.
17. Outlasting all their rivals Anindith Reddy and Vishnu Prasad emerged as national champions in the Euro JK 16 and LGB Formula 4 categories.in the 19th JK Tyre-FMSCI National Racing Championship at Buddh International Circuit.
18. Prime Minister Narendra Modi today launched Pradhanmantri Grameen Awas Yojna, an ambitious housing scheme meant for rural poor in Agra.
Daily GK Update 21st November 2016, Important Current Affairs Reviewed by Job today on 19:45 Rating: