1. Government launches Swachh Swasth Sarvatra initiativei. Union Government launched Swachh Swasth Sarvatra initiative to strengthen health centres in open defecation-free (ODF) blocks.
ii. The objective of this initiative is to strengthen community health centres in 708 ODF blocks across the country to enable them to achieve higher levels of cleanliness and hygiene.
2. Government invites comments for creating new Financial Redressal Agencyi. The Union Government has invited public comments on a report for the creation of a Financial Redressal Agency (FRA).
ii. The report also calls for a new financial consumer protection and redressal legislation and also recommends an initial budget of Rs. 100 crore for the setting up of the FRA.
3. Government launches IVRS platform to tackle call dropsi. The Union Government has launched Integrated Voice Response System (IVRS) system in a bid to tackle the call drop menace.
ii. The system was launched at multiple locations including Delhi and Mumbai to obtain direct feedback from subscribers on call quality on the issue of frequent call drops.
4. Union Cabinet approves ordinance to make possession of old notes penal offencei. The Union Cabinet approved promulgation of Specified Bank Notes Cessation of Liabilities Ordinance to penalise persons holding banned 500 and 1,000 rupee notes.
ii. It will come into force once it gets Presidential assent as per Article 123 of the Constitution. It will make possession of a large number of demonetised 1,000 and 500 rupee notes beyond threshold amount a penal offence.
5. China launches 2 high resolution remote sensing satellitesi. China has successfully launched pair two high-resolution remote sensing satellites SuperView-1 01 and 02 to get commercial images.
ii. These satellites were launched on-board of Long March 2D rocket from the Taiyuan Satellite Launch Centre in Shanxi Province. They will provide commercial images at 0.5-meter resolution.
6. Union Cabinet approves ratification of International Solar Alliancei. The Union Cabinet gave its approval to the proposal of Union Ministry of New & Renewable Energy (MNRE) for ratification of International Solar Alliance (ISA) Framework Agreement by India.
ii. The Agreement was opened for signature on the sidelines of 22nd Conference of Parties (CoP) meeting United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) at Marrakesh, Morocco.
iii. The Agreement invokes the Paris Declaration on ISA and encapsulates the vision of the member nations. Till now, 25 nations have signed the Framework Agreement. World Bank and UNDP also have announced their partnership with the ISA.
7. Anil Baijal appointed as Lt Governor of Delhii. President Pranab Mukherjee has appointed former bureaucrat Anil Baijal (70) as the 21st Lieutenant Governor of Delhi.
ii. He will succeed Najeeb Jung who had resigned before completion of his term and is returning to teaching profession.
8. Anil Baijal appointed as Delhi LGi. President Pranab Mukherjee accepted the resignation of Najeeb Jung as Lieutenant Governor of Delhi.
ii. President Mukherjee appointed Anil Baijal to be the Lieutenant Governor of Delhi with effect from the date he assumes charge of his office.
9. VK Sasikala is new General Secretary of AIDMKi. The ruling AIADMK in Tamil Nadu formally named VK Sasikala as party new General Secretary in place of the late Jayalalithaa after a unanimous resolution to this effect was passed in the party General Body meeting held at Vanagram in Chennai this morning, saying all party cadres should unitedly function under her.
10. Meghalaya to host 2022 National Gamesi. Meghalaya will host the 2022 National Games coinciding with its 50 years of statehood. In its meeting in Chennai, Indian Olympic Association, IOA accepted Meghalaya’s bid to host the National Games overshadowing four other bidders Andhra Pradesh, Goa, Chhattisgargh and Uttarakhand.