Daily GK Updates 30th December 2016, Important Current Affairs
1. Government meets PMUY target of 1.5 crore LPG connectionsi. The Union Ministry for Petroleum & Natural Gas has met the 1.5-crore target for LPG connections that were to be added under the Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana (PMUY) in the 2016-17 financial year.
ii. This Target was achieved within a span of less than eight months since the launch of the scheme which is implemented across 35 States/UTs.
2. Government proposes setting up Financial Data Management Centrei. The Union Government has proposed setting up Financial Data Management Centre (FDMC) based on recommendation of a committee set up under the Department of Economic Affairs (DEC).
ii. The Committee was headed by Ajay Tyagi, Additional Secretary in Union Finance Ministry and has submitted its report and a draft bill titled The Financial Data Management Centre Bill, 2016.
3. President gives assent to Payment of Wages (Amendment) Ordinance, 2016i. President Pranab Mukherjee has given assent to Payment of Wages (Amendment) Ordinance, 2016, to enable industries to pay wages by cheque or credit into the bank accounts of workers.
ii. The ordinance amends the Payment of Wages Act, 1936 to encourage cashless transactions. With this assent the ordinance becomes law as per article 123 of the Constitution.
4. Colombia passes FARC amnesty lawi. Colombia’s Congress passed a law granting amnesty to Marxist FARC (Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia) rebels as part of historic peace deal reached between rebels and Government.
ii. The Senate passed the bill 69-0 votes after the House of Representatives approved it by 121-0 votes. This is another step to formally end to 52 years of Columbian civil war (Latin America’s longest conflict).
5. FIPB clears 6 FDI proposals worth Rs 1,200 crorei. The Foreign Investment Promotion Board (FIPB) has approved six Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) proposals worth Rs 1,200 crore.
ii. Decision in this regard was taken by FIPB meeting headed by Economic Affairs Secretary Shaktikanta Das.
6. Ana Ivanovic announces retirement from Tennisi. Ana Ivanovic, the former world No1 and 2008 French Openchampion, has retired from tennis at the age of 29, the Serb made the announcement on Facebook last night.
ii. After her early exit from this year’s US Open, Ivanovic had said, she would be ending her season early to fully recover from a series of injuries that have hindered her in recent years. She had said at that time that she will return to the sport.
7. Admiral Lanba is new Chairman, Chiefs of Staff Committee (COSC)i. Chief of the Naval Staff Admiral Sunil Lanba, received the baton of Chairman, Chiefs of Staff Committee (COSC) from the outgoing IAF Chief Arup Raha.
Daily GK Updates 30th December 2016, Important Current Affairs Reviewed by Job today on 18:39 Rating: