1. Hindi film ‘Newton’ has won the Jury Prize for Best Film at the Hong Kong International Film Festival.
2. According to Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (Sipri), India has become world’s fifth-largest military spender spending at $55.9 billion in 2016. The US remains the world’s largest military followed by China, Russia, and Saudi Arabia. The other prominent spenders in the top 15 include Japan, South Korea, and Australia.
3. Rafael Nadal has once again won the Monte Carlo Masters for a record 10th time with a 6-1 6-3 victory over Albert Ramos-Vinolas. With this win, he has made history by becoming the first man in the Open era to win the same event 10 times.
4. Social activist Prafulla Samantra was announced one among six winners of the Goldman Environmental Prize for his “historic 12-year legal battle that affirmed the indigenous Dongria Kondh’s land rights and protected the Niyamgiri Hills from a massive, open-pit aluminum ore mine.”
5. Haryana emerged champion beating Kerala at the National Youth Athletics Meet. Kerala was at the top place for the last five years. Haryana emerged champions with 166.5 points. Kerala has finished as the runners-up. However, Kerala managed to retain the team crown for girls while Haryana boys topped and won the boys’ title.
6. In India, April 24th is celebrated as National Panchayati Raj Diwas every year. This day marks the passing of the Constitution (73rd Amendment) Act, 1992 that came into force with effect from 24 April 1993.
7. A freight train connecting Russia with China arrived in Ganzhou an inland city in Jiangxi province, carrying goods from Moscow. The freight train travelled more than 7,000 km, before reaching Ganzhou in eastern China.
8. World Book and Copyright Day (WBCD) is being observed on 23rd April 2017. The day seeks to raise awareness about the importance of reading and promote publishing and the protection of copyright around the globe.
9. India has become world’s second largest LPG importer, a position that was previously occupied by Japan. China remains as the world’s top importer. According to Petroleum Planning & Analysis Cell, LPG imports in the country has increased 23% during the financial year 2016-2017 to about 11 million tonnes.
10. The National Health Mission (NHM) in Haryana launched a mobile-based application named 'Kilkari' to create awareness among pregnant women, parents and health workers on the importance of ante and post natal care.
11. China and Iran have signed the first agreement on the reconfiguration of Iran's Arak reactor.
12. Veteran actress Moushumi Chatterjee has received the lifetime achievement award, at the 80th Bengal Film Journalists' Association (BFJA) awards.
13. One of the sports to miss out from the programme list of the 2018 Asian Games in Jakarta and Palembang is cricket.
14. Amid the raging debate over cow vigilantism, the centre informed that government would provide Adhaar-like unique identification number to cows.
15. Kenyan Daniel Wanjiru won the London Marathon in two hours five minutes 48 seconds leaving behind Ethiopian Kenenisa Bekele.
Daily GK Update 22nd April 2017, Important Current Affairs
Daily GK Update 21st April 2017, Important Current Affairs
Daily GK Update 20th April 2017, Important Current Affairs
Daily GK Update 19th April 2017, Important Current Affairs
Daily GK Update 18th April 2017, Important Current Affairs
Daily GK Update 16th April 2107, Important Current Affairs
Get More GK Updates